Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Lawrence Rhodes
Nice little mini rubber there Mark. Lawrence Rhodes.....

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Roger Daisley
Very cool ... Anyone have the conversion details?
/roger

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Mark Dutko
www.electricyaris.com

On Nov 25, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Roger Daisley wrote:

> Very cool ... Anyone have the conversion details?
> /roger

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Lawrence Rhodes
I'm Bccing Mark.  I'm sure he will share.  Lawrence Rhodes.....

> Very cool ... Anyone have the conversion details?
> /roger

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Mike Chancey-2
Roger Daisley wrote:
> Very cool ... Anyone have the conversion details?
> /roger

It is in the EV Photo Album at:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/922

Mike Chancey
Webmaster
EV Photo Album

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Mark Dutko
All the specs are on the specs page of my site as well as a better
copy of the video and some pics of the various build stages.

On Nov 25, 2007, at 5:16 PM, Mike Chancey wrote:

> Roger Daisley wrote:
>> Very cool ... Anyone have the conversion details?
>> /roger

> It is in the EV Photo Album at:
>
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/922
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike Chancey
> Webmaster
> EV Photo Album

Paging Jim Husted...

Bob Bath
Friend with the following symptoms... was hoping you
could help. If you give me your e-addy offline, I can
get his pic to you.   9"ADC:

As you might remember, I had pulled out the motor on
my Del Sol and had it gone through.  When I put it
back in it had a whine to it.  After calling the guys
that worked on it, they told me they hadn't shaped the
brushes since their power supply was down and they
sent me the stone to do it with.  Well, I did so, and
it helped a bit, but it still has an annoying whine -
not real loud, but it seems to me louder than it was
before.
I talked you about advancing the brushes, and I also
read about it in your journal.  You mentioned that if
the brushes weren't advanced, there'd be a noticeable
whine.  Upon inspecting, it looked to me like the
brushes were advanced as they should be.  However,
since the whine persists, I'm wondering if there's
more adjustment than I know of.  I took a picture of
the end of my motor and attach it here.  Is it
possible there's another step in advancement that I
can't see without taking things apart?

A couple notes that might be relevant...
The whine persists when coasting down a hill - without
load.
The whine tends to get considerably less noticeable
when the motor's good and hot, such as after driving
on the freeway, then climbing the hill to my home and
the battery's been depleted a bit.

I tried talking myself into thinking that it was
always that way, but I'm pretty sure that it was much
quieter, especially when coasting, before I had the
motor worked on.

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 "CiviWithACord" DVD shows footage of my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Re: Paging Jim Husted...

Hi-Torque Electric
Hey Bob

My address should be on top 8^)

As to the whine I'm not sure pics will help, but feel
free to shoot me some.  Be better to try and grab a
short video or audio and send that on up so I can put
an ear on it to see if I can't help point you to a
cause.
Just keep me posted
Cya
Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Congrats, Mark!

Good that your video showed the Yaris on the road and
on the freeway, that will kill the perception that EVs
are slow or underpowered.
When I demonstrated my S10 EV to some visitors, it was
also the freeway experience that convinced them that
an EV is a feasible vehicle for daily commute.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
On Nov 25, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Roger Daisley wrote:

> Very cool ... Anyone have the conversion details?
> /roger

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Mark Dutko
Thanks, at some point I am going to do a detailed video on my
experiences with the Think. I hope to demonstrate the use of the car
as well as add footage of interviews with peoples impressions and
perceptions.

Mark

On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:

> Congrats, Mark!
>
> Good that your video showed the Yaris on the road and
> on the freeway, that will kill the perception that EVs
> are slow or underpowered.
> When I demonstrated my S10 EV to some visitors, it was
> also the freeway experience that convinced them that
> an EV is a feasible vehicle for daily commute.
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
> Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

Re: Paging Jim Husted...

Travis Gintz
Jim, congrats on the article on the NEDRA 10th ... wasn't it the NY Times?

On Nov 26, 2007 4:30 AM, Jim Husted <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Bob
>
> My address should be on top 8^)
>
> As to the whine I'm not sure pics will help, but feel
> free to shoot me some.  Be better to try and grab a
> short video or audio and send that on up so I can put
> an ear on it to see if I can't help point you to a
> cause.
> Just keep me posted
> Cya
> Jim Husted
> Hi-Torque Electric

Travis Gintz
1986 Honda VFR AC conversion
Http://blog.evfr.net/

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Ralph Merwin-2
Cor van de Water writes:

> Good that your video showed the Yaris on the road and
> on the freeway, that will kill the perception that EVs
> are slow or underpowered.
> When I demonstrated my S10 EV to some visitors, it was
> also the freeway experience that convinced them that
> an EV is a feasible vehicle for daily commute.

At one of the Oregon Electric Vehicle Assoc. meetings, a guy
was interested in going for a ride in an EV.  I took him out
afterwards for a short loop on the I5 freeway out of Portland
(which goes up a significant hill).

As we were cruising uphill on the freeway at 70mph, his only
comment was:

"Oh"

Ralph

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Jack Murray
Mark, the specs page shows the parts cost $30K.  In an
earlier blog entry you were expecting the conversion
cost at $12K?  Why the big difference?
Jack

--- Mark Dutko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, at some point I am going to do a detailed
> video on my
> experiences with the Think. I hope to demonstrate
> the use of the car
> as well as add footage of interviews with peoples
> impressions and
> perceptions.
>
> Mark
>

> On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Cor van de Water
> wrote:
>
> > Congrats, Mark!
> >
> > Good that your video showed the Yaris on the road
> and
> > on the freeway, that will kill the perception that
> EVs
> > are slow or underpowered.
> > When I demonstrated my S10 EV to some visitors, it
> was
> > also the freeway experience that convinced them
> that
> > an EV is a feasible vehicle for daily commute.
> >
> > Cor van de Water
> > Systems Architect
> > Proxim Wireless Corporation http://www.proxim.com
> > Email: [hidden email]    Private:
> http://www.cvandewater.com
> > Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM:
> [hidden email]
> > Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD#
> 25925
> > Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> > Second Life:

www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

That is the cost including the car not the conversion cost- so
something like $15k conversion cost apprx
On Nov 27, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Jack Murray wrote:

> Mark, the specs page shows the parts cost $30K.  In an
> earlier blog entry you were expecting the conversion
> cost at $12K?  Why the big difference?
> Jack
>
> --- Mark Dutko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, at some point I am going to do a detailed
>> video on my
>> experiences with the Think. I hope to demonstrate
>> the use of the car
>> as well as add footage of interviews with peoples
>> impressions and
>> perceptions.
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Cor van de Water
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Congrats, Mark!
>>>
>>> Good that your video showed the Yaris on the road
>> and
>>> on the freeway, that will kill the perception that
>> EVs
>>> are slow or underpowered.
>>> When I demonstrated my S10 EV to some visitors, it
>> was
>>> also the freeway experience that convinced them
>> that
>>> an EV is a feasible vehicle for daily commute.
>>>
>>> Cor van de Water
>>> Systems Architect
>>> Proxim Wireless Corporation http://www.proxim.com
>>> Email: [hidden email]    Private:
>> http://www.cvandewater.com
>>> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM:
>> [hidden email]
>>> Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD#
>> 25925
>>> Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
>>> Second Life:
>>
> www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

Ryan Bohm
Mark, Lawrence, all,

> > Here is a short clip of the Yaris EV build with driving as well-
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSZrpTb2_4I

Nice clip, and way to go Mark!  Wonderful to see shots of the car going
after hearing so much about it!  Great inspiration to those that are
embarking on a conversion.

-Ryan
--
- EV Source <http://www.evsource.com> -
Professional grade electric vehicle parts and resources

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Dan Frederiksen-2
Mark, it's such a nice clean conversion with a new or newish car which
too few seem to do in my opinion (because it makes our cause more
attractive) so to furhter the impact of your work could you perhaps shed
some light on the many details of it, mainly how the motor coupling was
accomplished.

if you write the text on your website it wont so quickly get lost as it
will here.
I think the motor coupling is the thing that keeps most from doing a
conversion so any nice light that could be shed on that would probably
be important

thanks
Dan

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Dan Frederiksen-2
Mark, you write it's about 220v system voltage, I have been wondering if
typical DC motors can make use of that much voltage in their RPM range.
does it ever go up to that voltage? and if so in what situations

Dan

Re: was Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube/adaptor

Mark Dutko
The adaptor was done by a very experienced machinist and EV racer, he
does not do adaptors for a living so I never published his name as per
his request. I was fortunate to have him fabricate it as the
workmanship was that of a perfectionist, he even milled the motor
shaft so I could fit the 9" motor in the car. I had originally hand
delivered my transmission to Electro Auto and after months of them
sitting on it with no communication and not work as promised I got it
back and had it done elsewhere. Electro Auto said the adaptor needed
to be 2.5" min approx and he made mine at 1.25- a work of art and done
in a week.  I'll try not to rant on EA but people defend their poor
communication and turtle slow business practices too much. If you are
going to run a business do it properly or don't do it at all. There
are many good EV parts suppliers out there such as EV Source and
others and there are bad ones as well, the excuses for poor business
are BS though, particularly if you make claims or promises. I'm
presently having an issue with an expensive EV part I recently
purchased and I am curious to see how the resolution works out, people
on the list should not be afraid to be candid and constructive about
their experiences, this is what makes the service better, or at least
not horrible.   The important thing is to be as fair and accurate as
possible in your description,  operating a business in this space is
difficult and challenging. Rant over:)

Mark

On Nov 27, 2007, at 7:49 PM, Dan Frederiksen wrote:

> Mark, it's such a nice clean conversion with a new or newish car which
> too few seem to do in my opinion (because it makes our cause more
> attractive) so to furhter the impact of your work could you perhaps
> shed
> some light on the many details of it, mainly how the motor coupling
> was
> accomplished.
>
> if you write the text on your website it wont so quickly get lost as
> it
> will here.
> I think the motor coupling is the thing that keeps most from doing a
> conversion so any nice light that could be shed on that would probably
> be important
>
> thanks
> Dan

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

Mark Dutko
216V  to the Zilla, not the motor. That's the point of the controller.

On Nov 27, 2007, at 8:03 PM, Dan Frederiksen wrote:

> Mark, you write it's about 220v system voltage, I have been
> wondering if
> typical DC motors can make use of that much voltage in their RPM
> range.
> does it ever go up to that voltage? and if so in what situations
>
> Dan

Re: Yaris EV conversion video on YouTube

(-Phil-)
When you want to add range, you can add more batteries in series, which has
the effect of raising pack voltage.  This in-turn means the battery amps
will drop for a given power output.  This is possible because the controller
is essentially acting as a transformer and allowing a lower voltage to the
motor, while increasing the amperage.

If your motor will turn into a fireball at 200v, you can just set the
controller to never allow that much output.  This is why most
well-engineered controllers have programmable parameters.

-Phil