Re: windscreens from plastic

Jeff Shanab
I remember seeing a website (the wissel? somewhere from the Human
Powered Vehicle Site) on this but don't know about finding a link, the
guys were doing this and selling the parts.

The took two plates and in one they cut an oval opening and the other a
threaded hole for an air line. This had clear holes drilled every inch
around the oval opening and threaded holes in the air plate. I think
they made the plates out of aluminum ($$, but productive and safe)

They made a 4 walled chamber with those fireplace panels you get from
home depot and but a 2 burner coleman camp stove in the middle with a
straight pide out the wall for to the gas bottle. They placed a 1" steel
plate across both burners.

They drilled a hole to look through at the appropriate height and pot a
line on the opposite side.

To make a unit they sandwiched a piece of Vivak (tradename of sheet
PTEG, same material used to make plastic coke bottles)

http://k-mac-plastics.com/petg-sheet.htm

They turned on the stove and closed the ends of the box. When the Vivak
got soft and started to sag, the operator opened the air valve which
blew a bubble.
They did this in steps. Let it warm until it shows sag, apply a little
air, repeat.
When it got to the line, they turned off the stove and opened the ends
of the box while watching and maintaining the air pressure needed to
keep it's shape(as the air cools it contracts and may allow the bubble
to distort, they made up for this pressure reduction manually)

In high school, I made parabolic reflectors for strobelights (it was
1980 after all)
We had a wooden mold with holes thru it and a vacuum pump on the back, a
platen above the mold with clamps and electric strip heaters.
In this setup we clamped a piece of acrylic sheet, turned on the heaters
and when the material started to sag pulled a vacuum.
In this project timeing was everything. Pull vacuum to soon and the
parabolic would only pull 1/2 way and the heat no longer could re-melt
the center that is furthest away without burning the edges. Wait to long
and it would loose it's taffyness and tear a hole as the heavy center
ripped away from the edges that thinned to fast from being to soft and
pulled on. I think using polycarbonate or the PETG would make a more
consistent process than acrylic.

Re: windscreens from plastic

James Massey
G'day Jeff, All

At 05:39 AM 14/08/07 -0700, Jeff Shanab wrote:
>I remember seeing a website (the wissel? somewhere from the Human
>Powered Vehicle Site) on this but don't know about finding a link, the
>guys were doing this and selling the parts.

This one?
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/bubbles/hpvbubbles.htm

Regards

[Technik] James

Body-on-Frame

wjdennis@qwest.net
In body-on-frame construction for pickups like a Ford Ranger, how is the
cab attached to the frame?  Is it welded on, bolted on, etc.?  Is it
something you could pickup at a junkyard, bring home and bolt onto
another chassis?

Thanks.

Bill Dennis

Re: Body-on-Frame

Christopher Robison
On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 09:33 -0600, Bill Dennis wrote:
> In body-on-frame construction for pickups like a Ford Ranger, how is the
> cab attached to the frame?  Is it welded on, bolted on, etc.?  Is it
> something you could pickup at a junkyard, bring home and bolt onto
> another chassis?

It's bolted on.  My recollection about the Ranger isn't accurate, but on
the S-10 and variants the cab up to the firewall (this piece here:
http://ohmbre.org/gallery/v/ConversionProject/disassembly/IMG_0082.JPG.html ) is fastened to the frame with just 4 bolts, each through a sort of doughnut-shaped vibration isolator.  The bed is attached with 6 bolts.

--
Christopher Robison
[hidden email]

Re: Body-on-Frame

Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
It is bolted on.  There are roughly 4 bolts that run to brackets welded
to the frame.

Re: Body-on-Frame

Zeke Yewdall
Yeah.  People doing hotrodding swap cabs onto different frames all the
time -- just have to weld the brakets in the right place for the bolts
from the cab... and get everything to align properly.

On 8/15/07, Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is bolted on.  There are roughly 4 bolts that run to brackets welded
> to the frame.

Re: Body-on-Frame

Mike Willmon-3
Along that same line does anyone know of a cool looking sports car body (or kit) that would bolt onto a small truck frame like for an S-10 with minimal modifications?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

> Yeah.  People doing hotrodding swap cabs onto different frames all the
> time -- just have to weld the brakets in the right place for the bolts
> from the cab... and get everything to align properly.
>
> On 8/15/07, Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It is bolted on.  There are roughly 4 bolts that run to brackets
> welded> to the frame.

Re: Body-on-Frame

Jack Murray
There is a company that sells a hotrod S10 kit that uses the S10 cab,
and replaces the rest of the body with a '40 ford style look.
here it is:
http://www.rodster.com/

may or maynot be what you like..
Jack