Real Recycling Companies

Mark Hanson-2

Hi Lee etc,

We have Interstate Batteries next door that "recycles" all our Lithium, Nicads, NiMh and lead batteries.  Does anyone know if they actually recycle *all* the chemistries they say they do?

Best Regards,
mark
www.REEVA.info

Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 18:03:45 -0500
From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Rebuilding a Ryobi cordless drill battery pack.
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>

Sorry gang. I thought my reply was going to Morgan LaMoore, but it went
to the EVDL instead. But since I did...

On 5/6/2012 4:43 PM, Lee Hart wrote:
> http://www.call2recycle.org/ Call2recycle sounds good... Is it
> unreasonable to ask for evidence that a given company that says they
> recycle actually *do* recycle? (I have gotten a lot of flak for
> daring to ask whether Mate Rimac really has a working prototype of
> his car.)

I looked on call2recycle's website. Lots of marketing fluff, but they do
have their 2011 annual report on it. Interesting reading.

- Everyone on their board of directors are from battery companies.
- It looks like they send all the batteries they collect to INMETCO
in Pennsylvania.
- Revenues:
$9.7 million from license fees
$3.1 million from recovered metal proceeds (from INMETCO)
- Expenses:
$6.3 million for collection and recycling
$1.9 million for public education
$1.7 million for management fees

It appears that they pay $6.3 million to get batteries that only return
$3.1 million. 3/4th of their income comes from license fees (not
recycling), which isn't explained. I don't understand that.

A quick look at INMETCO looks promising. They really do have a recycling
plant in the USA for batteries. A look for data independent of the
company confirms this (though they do have considerable out of country
recycling operations where they ship stuff as well). They also don't
have the depressing history of lawsuits and enforcement actions that
Waste Management does.

So it looks like Call2Recycle really is recycling batteries. They don't
make money at it, but have found some other way to monetize it (through
license fees).

--
*BE* the change that you wish to see in the world.
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: Real Recycling Companies

Lee Hart
On 5/7/2012 2:33 PM, Mark Hanson wrote:
> Hi Lee etc,
>
> We have Interstate Batteries next door that "recycles" all our Lithium, Nicads, NiMh and lead batteries.  Does anyone know if they actually recycle *all* the chemistries they say they do?

I'd say you have to ask. See if you get what seems like an honest
answer, or a "tell 'em anything to make them go away" answer.
--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: Real Recycling Companies

AMPhibian
Toxco and Battery Solutions do all chemistries, and Umicore in Europe.
www.toxco.com
http://www.batteryrecycling.com/Battery+Recycling+Process
http://batteryrecycling.umicore.com/UBR/

Lee Hart wrote

Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: Real Recycling Companies

Jay Donnaway

Call2Recycle, also known as the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC), is as real as they come, and there's nothing fishy about their income stream.  Since their founding as a nonprofit, this has been one of the most successful examples of product stewardship (as the concept has been pushed by EPA and many state regulators).   Product Stewardship, also known as Extended Producer Responsibilty, is a business model in which the manufacturer reclaims responsibility for the product at the end of it's useful life.)  In the case of RBRC, affiliated companies pay for the third party recovery of their products.  I've passed Lee's concern about sham participation by his local Home Despot, as this would be a violation of their agreements with RBRC and Home Depot Corporate, and quite possibly, The Law.  Shipping of the collected cells to RBRC used to be free, I don't know if that has changed.

For more info on Product Stewardship, visit  http://www.productstewardship.us/

RBRC only accepts small sealed rechargeable batteries, but will give referrals for larger flooded cell and volume suppliers.  I currently have an offer from Saft North America in Valdosta GA for free acceptance of a pallet of flooded nicads, as soon as I get said shipment assembled.  Saft will most likely pass them on to Inmetco in PA.  Lee Mentioned Toxco, near Vancouver BC.  They're the most significant recycler of lithium cells in North America, but have had numerous fires.
Apparently, stockpiling broken lithium batteries is dangerous...

Signing off as your friendly former State Recycling Coordinator and Senior Solid Waste Policy Analyst,

Jay Donnaway
www.karmanneclectric.blogspot.com

On 5/8/2012 3:04 PM, Jay Donnaway wrote:
> Call2Recycle, also known as the Rechargeable Battery Recycling
> Corporation (RBRC), is as real as they come... I've passed Lee's
> concern about sham participation by his local Home Despot, as this
> would be a violation of their agreements with RBRC and Home Depot
> Corporate, and quite possibly, The Law. Shipping of the collected
> cells to RBRC used to be free, I don't know if that has changed.

Thanks, Jay. I like what I see about Call2Recycle. Their website does
say provide the shipping boxes and pay shipping to return the used
batteries.

But it's interesting that while both Home Depot and Radio Shack are
listed as major participants in their program, neither of my local
stores in fact have these Call2Recycle collection boxes out. Now that I
know more, I'm going to ask pointedly where their collection boxes are.
If they don't have them, it may be time to check with management.

> RBRC only accepts small sealed rechargeable batteries... I currently
> have an offer from Saft North America in Valdosta GA for free
> acceptance of a pallet of flooded nicads... Saft will most likely
> pass them on to Inmetco in PA.

And, I see INMETCO has procedures to accept larger amounts of nicads
from individuals. That's good; it gives me a place for my BB600's to go
when it's time to recycle them.

 > Lee Mentioned Toxco, near Vancouver BC.  They're the most
> significant recycler of lithium cells in North America, but have had
> numerous fires. Apparently, stockpiling broken lithium batteries is
> dangerous...

Yes; I can imagine just throwing them in barrels is a bad idea!

> Signing off as your friendly former State Recycling Coordinator and
> Senior Solid Waste Policy Analyst,

Excellent, Jay! It's good to hear from someone that's worked in the field.

--
An engineer can do for a nickel what any damn fool can do for a dollar.
        -- Henry Ford
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

I'm only familiar with the 2009 Toxco fire, have there been more?

On 8 May 2012 at 16:04, Jay Donnaway wrote:

> I currently have an offer from Saft North America in Valdosta GA for
> free acceptance of a pallet of flooded nicads, as soon as I get said
> shipment assembled.  Saft will most likely pass them on to Inmetco in
> PA.

Jay,

Have you checked with Saft to see if they can rebuild those batteries?  That
would be better than recycling them, IMO.  I don't know whether they still
do, bat AFAIK at one time Saft would rebuild any battery they'd ever made