Rebuilding an orphan lithium battery pack. Zuumer

Rebuilding an orphan lithium battery pack. Zuumer

As far as I can see the Zuumer is another orphan electric vehicle.  So if I want to run the vehicle..which is in almost perfect condition, I will have to rebuild the pack. Two 25.6v batteries for 51.2v system voltage. The cells are pouches.  Each when fully charged is 4vdc.  3.6 nominal.  I counted 7 pouches each 10 inches long in the pack.  LiMn2O4.  These are not very good cells but were used 10 years ago because they were relatively safe with only 500 cycles.  I'd just love to refill the battery cases with modern cells but what to get? It is so confusing.  It would be nice to be able to reuse the cases & chargers.  The cases slide into the top plate of the battery compartment.  Can't seem to find many 11 ah modules at 3.6vdc.  Most at the 11ah level are pouches.  My battery doesn't seem to have BMS which is why I have fully charged cells and dead cells side by side.  I may be able to make one full battery between the two batteries but that won't do me much good.  Are there
  rechargeable D cell size 11 ah batteries out there?  What is a good compromise?  It seems that I may with newer technology go down slightly in voltage from 3.6 to 3.2v and gain ah.  What to do?  Any advice welcome.  Sincerely, Lawrence Rhodes
Original specs.:

..25.6v 11ah 280wh part number ZCB-000150 29.4v charger It takes two 11 ah packs to run the Zummer each fully charged at around 28vdc.  51.2v nominal voltage for the Zuumer system to work. Fully charged 56vdc KP2403TL Charger
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enerpower-Pedelec-Silverfish-Zhenlong-battery/dp/B00KKRXHS0 This is almost identical to my packs.  Just a different connector for the charger.  Same bottom electrical connector.  But no locks.  Mine have locks on the bottom next to the connector.

Re: Rebuilding an orphan lithium battery pack. Zuumer

Lawrence,
Al Li-Ion batteries that I have seen are pouches.
Prismatic cells? Cut one open and you will see a bundle of pouches
attached to the two connecting bolts on top.
Nissan Leaf modules? 4 pouches in the Alu module case.
So, find the right size pouches, slide a good set back into the case and
add a BMS (repaired or new).
Cor.

On 08/09/2017 03:51 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:
> As far as I can see the Zuumer is another orphan electric vehicle.  So if I want to run the vehicle..which is in almost perfect condition, I will have to rebuild the pack. Two 25.6v batteries for 51.2v system voltage. The cells are pouches.  Each when fully charge

"24v" lipo 7s ebike batteries charge to ~29v so they might work for you.
  If you can find a size to suit.  Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-12Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-for-E-Bike-E-Scooter-BiXPower-BX2493-/251158695638?epid=1417475528&hash=item3a7a398ed6:m:mgGDovVLaPckI9sWgNt_vBQ

Or, if you are comfortable (I am) using Alibaba/AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-customs-fee-24V-25AH-li-ion-battery-24-V-25AH-ebike-battery-with-PVC-Case/32800558963.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10065_10151_10068_10130_10084_10083_10080_10307_10082_10081_10110_10178_10137_10111_10060_10112_10113_10155_10114_10154_10056_10055_10054_10312_10313_10059_10314_10315_100031_10099_10078_10079_10103_10073_10102_10052_10053_10142_10107_10050_10051,searchweb201603_19,ppcSwitch_3&btsid=ffbb0072-636c-461c-a1a5-e9954082b396&algo_expid=d40d4283-8700-44ee-8a21-48a77df2b90c-7&algo_pvid=d40d4283-8700-44ee-8a21-48a77df2b90c

Re: Rebuilding an orphan lithium battery pack. Zuumer

What would be the problem with using 18650 style LiIon cells?

If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making
them.
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As far as I can see the Zuumer is another orphan electric vehicle.  So if
> I want to run the vehicle..which is in almost perfect condition, I will
> have to rebuild the pack. Two 25.6v batteries for 51.2v system voltage. The
> cells are pouches.  Each when fully charged is 4vdc.  3.6 nominal.  I
> counted 7 pouches each 10 inches long in the pack.  LiMn2O4.  These are not
> very good cells but were used 10 years ago because they were relatively
> safe with only 500 cycles.  I'd just love to refill the battery cases with
> modern cells but what to get? It is so confusing.  It would be nice to be
> able to reuse the cases & chargers.  The cases slide into the top plate of
> the battery compartment.  Can't seem to find many 11 ah modules at 3.6vdc.
> Most at the 11ah level are pouches.  My battery doesn't seem to have BMS
> which is why I have fully charged cells and dead cells side by side.  I may
> be able to make one full battery between the two batteries but that won't
> do me much good.  Are there
>   rechargeable D cell size 11 ah batteries out there?  What is a good
> compromise?  It seems that I may with newer technology go down slightly in
> voltage from 3.6 to 3.2v and gain ah.  What to do?  Any advice welcome.
> Sincerely, Lawrence Rhodes
> Original specs.:
>

> ..25.6v 11ah 280wh part number ZCB-000150 29.4v charger It takes two 11 ah
> packs to run the Zummer each fully charged at around 28vdc.  51.2v nominal
> voltage for the Zuumer system to work. Fully charged 56vdc KP2403TL Charger
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enerpower-Pedelec-Silverfish-
> Zhenlong-battery/dp/B00KKRXHS0 This is almost identical to my packs.
> Just a different connector for the charger.  Same bottom electrical
> connector.  But no locks.  Mine have locks on the bottom next to the
> connector.
> group/NEDRA)

Re: Rebuilding an orphan lithium battery pack. Zuumer

Re: Rebuilding an orphan lithium battery pack. Zuumer

I have checked out some of the 10ah batteries and they use 5p 7 s. so my using 4p higher quality/capacity batteries will give me one more ah than the original. They will also be a little lighter and give more space for cooling.  The pouch type batteries had no space for cooling.  Now all I need is spacers and BMS.  I can reuse the old charger. 29.4 for 7 18650 in series.  Lawrence Rhodes

Re: Rebuilding an orphan lithium battery pack. Zuumer

Lawrence,

Check out LunaCycle.com.  They make their own e-bike battery packs from an
ever-widening selection of 18650 cells that are typically 3.7 V nominal.
If your chemistry is a little lower voltage you'd be slightly undercharging
them, which I understand is good for cycle life.  Their packs come with
their own BMS, though I believe it does not include protect against a cell
failing short.  (Which I guess is more in how the pack is assembled than a
function of the BMS.)

The sense I get from the LunaCycle site is that they are a small enough
company that they can handle the occasional custom pack.  IF you have a
chat with them you might be able to get some general pointers and the
dimensions of their BMS, which would allow you to give them an envelope
size for the pack you want.  Their prices seem reasonable.  I think it's
worth a shot.

Chris

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>