Rebuilding infrastructure (smartly) EVDL

Rebuilding infrastructure (smartly) EVDL

I hope that as we help to rebuild the islands and mainland devastated by
the hurricanes, that we think forward how we rebuild smartly.

Seeing the left image of gas lines in Puerto Rico I was compelled to share
the contrasting image on the right too.  And add a description of 9 solar
panels providing transportation for life.

[image: cid:image001.png@01D33E05.7A20B9C0]

If the image does not come through, it is posted here:
http://aprs.org/gas-or-solar.png

Bottom line.  After helping with the immediate humanitarian crisis, we
should take care not to rebuild, or invest in any more petroleum economy
when we can do it NOW cheaper with solar and Electric Cars fueled  at home
or in the community!  I hope this does not come across as insensitive.  But
Tesla and Germany are sending in solar panels and powerwalls…… Get the
electricity flowing again locally without waiting for the grid to be
rebuilt.    The average cost of EV’s (with incentives) now cost thousands
less than the average cost of all gas car models.   And the new Chevy Bolt
can drive from one end of the island and back on a single overnight
charge…

Used EV’s are a bargain too. Starting at $6k for a smart4two through $9k
for a Leaf, up to about $12k for a 3 year old Volt.

We must not invest any more in Fossil fuel infrastructure.  Especiallly
when it is blown away…

Bob

Re: Rebuilding infrastructure (smartly) EVDL

I agree that it might be better for Puerto Rico to not spend too much trying
to restore their poorly maintained, fragile grid, and go straight to
investing in distributed generation.

For decades PREPA (the state-owned PR electric utility) resisted using
anything but fuel oil and a little coal.  They started switching a few
plants to NG less than a decade ago (2010?).  Finally in the last few years
they've brought some wind and PV online too.  They have new 4 PV farms that
just started producing about a year ago.

I visited western and northwestern PR for 2 weeks in August, just before
Irma hit.  In that time I saw exactly zero, zip, zilch EVs anywhere.  I saw
no Leaves, no Volts, no Bolts, no Teslas -- none.  I'm sure that it doesn't
help that PR's average cost per kWh is 20 cents. Some people reportedly pay
close to 30 cents per kWh.

I asked a few people I met if they had considered PV.  Some had, mostly as
backup power.  FWIW, the little hotel we stayed at did a fair bit of its
outdoor lighting with small solar powered garden lights, which were
impressively capable.

One of the people I spoke with told me that PREPA actually wanted to charge
them a monthly fee to have an OFF-GRID system, which makes no sense to me. I
haven't been able to corroborate that.

In any case, PR could definitely use a PV / EV boost.

However, I suspect that this level of storm is the "new normal" for the
island. They can probably expect to keep getting category 3-4-5 hurricanes.

Do PV mounts exist that can withstand 160mph+ hurricane winds?  How do the
panels themselves handle having large, heavy things thrown at them by those
same winds?

Re: Rebuilding infrastructure (smartly) EVDL

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 2:24 PM, Robert Bruninga via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope that as we help to rebuild the islands and mainland devastated by
> the hurricanes, that we think forward how we rebuild smartly.

Coincidentally, in connection with my day-job, I’m one of the commissioners on the “Commission on Caribbean Communications Resilience,” which is doing a Space-Shuttle-Challenger-Commision-style analysis of the telecoms failure that’s left three countries completely offline.

So, yes, there’s some attention being paid to the long term, even as the immediate needs of the refugees are also being attended to.

It’s kind of heartbreaking to have to choose between short-term and long-term in these situations.

                                -Bill

Tesla helping rebuild Puerto Rico power grid: Rebuilding infrastructure (smartly) EVDL

https://www.curbed.com/2017/10/9/16446610/tesla-puerto-rico-power-grid-rebuild-battery
Tesla wants to help Puerto Rico rebuild its power grid - Curbed
Oct 9, 2017 - Most of the island’s electric grid was destroyed by Hurricane
Maria  Tesla is already sending home batteries to the storm-battered island.
... unveiled Tesla semi truck to increase battery production for Puerto Rico
... While the idea began in tweets, it may be starting to take shape in real
life. On October 6, Musk tweeted that Tesla would divert resources from the
soon to be unveiled Tesla semi truck to increase battery production for
Puerto Rico ...