Recommended battery regulator for AGM's?

Recommended battery regulator for AGM's?

MPaulHolmes
I have a 72v 100 amp*hr AGM battery pack.  They are Sears Platinum deep cycle batteries.  Will a 72v 20amp good quality charger set to specifically charge AGM batteries eventually lead to unbalanced batteries?  Electric Vehicles USA sells "Battery Regulator Mark 2B", which I guess solves that problem, but it isn't available at this time.  Any suggestions for products that will stop unbalanced batteries?

Re: Recommended battery regulator for AGM's?

AMPrentice
There are rudman regulators apparantely that can be bought at manzanita chargersm.
40 a pop for each battery. Im looking at these myself as I have no room or patience
for 12 sep chargers incorporated into my pack.
My question is which is the best charger for SLA once the rudman regs are fitted
surely there must be more than Zivan?

paul holmes wrote
I have a 72v 100 amp*hr AGM battery pack.  They are Sears Platinum deep cycle batteries.  Will a 72v 20amp good quality charger set to specifically charge AGM batteries eventually lead to unbalanced batteries?  Electric Vehicles USA sells "Battery Regulator Mark 2B", which I guess solves that problem, but it isn't available at this time.  Any suggestions for products that will stop unbalanced batteries?

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

Nicolas Drouin
>From my lurking on the list, and not from any practical experience,
the consensus seems to be "Yes, your AGMs will eventually fall out of
balance".

I plan on using two zener diodes and a light bulb across each battery
(this should cost me much less than 40$ for the lot) in order to shunt
amperage to the light bulb at the end of the charge cycle if the
battery exceeds the recommended voltage (as recommended by bat
manufactured and set via the judicious selection of diodes).

Have a look at the following thread in the archives:
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-p18749428
And:
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Zener-lamp_regulator

Someone had some great pics of how wire up the zeners and bulbs, but
despite a few minutes of googling, I can't get my hands on it...

I am still throwing around the idea of using individual 7amp soneil
chargers to do my maintenance/opportunity/plug-it-in-and-leave-it
charging; and using a single larger charger for at home with a timer
and the zener regs as a back-up.  Making the zener regs and the
individual chargers co-exist may or may-not be an issue.

Cheers,

-Nick
Montreal, QC
www.evalbum.com/1890

On 8/11/08, AMPrentice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are rudman regulators apparantely that can be bought at manzanita
> chargersm.
> 40 a pop for each battery. Im looking at these myself as I have no room or
> patience
> for 12 sep chargers incorporated into my pack.
> My question is which is the best charger for SLA once the rudman regs are
> fitted
> surely there must be more than Zivan?
>

> paul holmes wrote:
> >
> > I have a 72v 100 amp*hr AGM battery pack.  They are Sears Platinum deep
> > cycle batteries.  Will a 72v 20amp good quality charger set to
> > specifically charge AGM batteries eventually lead to unbalanced batteries?
> > Electric Vehicles USA sells "Battery Regulator Mark 2B", which I guess
> > solves that problem, but it isn't available at this time.  Any suggestions
> > for products that will stop unbalanced batteries?
> >

> -----
> Except from himself and other fellow men,
> Man is the least endangered of all species.     - Me

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

Steven Ciciora
<snip>

> Have a look at the following thread in the archives:
> http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-p18749428
> And:
> http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Zener-lamp_regulator
>
> Someone had some great pics of how wire up the zeners and
> bulbs, but
> despite a few minutes of googling, I can't get my hands
> on it...

Didn't Mike Willmon make a .pdf?  I believe there is also a YouTube video showing how to construct them...

Steven Ciciora

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

rodhower
It was Mike W, here's the email with link,
Hey great video Loni.  Here's a .pdf I put together
last year that goes
along nicely with your video.
http://home.gci.net/~saintbernard/Zener_Regs.pdf  It
shows some close
 ups of
the components that folks could look at while
following your video.

If there was anything I'd add to my procedure it would
be a schematic
showing that the resistor is in parallel with the lamp
and those are in
series with the other two zeners.   But seeing the pic
close up of the
resistor on the lamp most people could tell that was
the fact.

Anyway,  mine worked well enough, however I needed
something a little
 more
aggressive.  Now I have flooded batteries so they are
not needed.  But
will save them for other projects down the line.

Great video though.  Its sure to help lots of folks
:-)

Mike Willmon

--- Steven Ciciora <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> > Have a look at the following thread in the
> archives:

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-p18749428

> > And:
> >
> http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Zener-lamp_regulator
> >
> > Someone had some great pics of how wire up the
> zeners and
> > bulbs, but
> > despite a few minutes of googling, I can't get my
> hands
> > on it...
> >

> Didn't Mike Willmon make a .pdf?  I believe there is
> also a YouTube video showing how to construct
> them...
>
> Steven Ciciora

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

rodhower
I just noticed Mike doesn't have the pdf at that
location.
Go to the archive,
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html
and type this in the search bar,
"DIY Zener-Regulator How-To on YouTube"
It will give you the full thread on this subject.
I have a bunch of regulator schemes posted by Lee
Hart, Don Cameron on John Lussamer, but can find
Mike's.
Let me know if you want me to forward any files.
Rod
--- Rod Hower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was Mike W, here's the email with link,
> Hey great video Loni.  Here's a .pdf I put together
> last year that goes
> along nicely with your video.
> http://home.gci.net/~saintbernard/Zener_Regs.pdf  It
> shows some close
>  ups of
> the components that folks could look at while
> following your video.
>
> If there was anything I'd add to my procedure it
> would
> be a schematic
> showing that the resistor is in parallel with the
> lamp
> and those are in
> series with the other two zeners.   But seeing the
> pic
> close up of the
> resistor on the lamp most people could tell that was
> the fact.
>
> Anyway,  mine worked well enough, however I needed
> something a little
>  more
> aggressive.  Now I have flooded batteries so they
> are
> not needed.  But
> will save them for other projects down the line.
>
> Great video though.  Its sure to help lots of folks
> :-)
>
> Mike Willmon
>

> --- Steven Ciciora <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Have a look at the following thread in the
> > archives:

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-p18749428

> > > And:
> > >

> http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Zener-lamp_regulator
> > >
> > > Someone had some great pics of how wire up the
> > zeners and
> > > bulbs, but
> > > despite a few minutes of googling, I can't get
> my
> > hands
> > > on it...
> > >

> > Didn't Mike Willmon make a .pdf?  I believe there
> is
> > also a YouTube video showing how to construct
> > them...
> >
> > Steven Ciciora

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

Tim Humphrey
Mikes pdf is available in the NEDRA yahoo group files bucket.

Rod Hower wrote
--- Rod Hower <rodhower@ameritech.net> wrote:

> It was Mike W, here's the email with link,
> Hey great video Loni.  Here's a .pdf I put together
> last year that goes
> along nicely with your video.
> http://home.gci.net/~saintbernard/Zener_Regs.pdf  It
> shows some close
>  ups of
> the components that folks could look at while
> following your video.
>
> If there was anything I'd add to my procedure it
> would
> be a schematic
> showing that the resistor is in parallel with the
> lamp
> and those are in
> series with the other two zeners.   But seeing the
> pic
> close up of the
> resistor on the lamp most people could tell that was
> the fact.
>
> Anyway,  mine worked well enough, however I needed
> something a little
>  more
> aggressive.  Now I have flooded batteries so they
> are
> not needed.  But
> will save them for other projects down the line.
>
> Great video though.  Its sure to help lots of folks
> :-)
>
> Mike Willmon
>

> --- Steven Ciciora <karmannelectric@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Have a look at the following thread in the
> > archives:

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-p18749428
> > > And:
> > >

> http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Zener-lamp_regulator
> > >
> > > Someone had some great pics of how wire up the
> > zeners and
> > > bulbs, but
> > > despite a few minutes of googling, I can't get
> my
> > hands
> > > on it...
> > >

> > Didn't Mike Willmon make a .pdf?  I believe there
> is
> > also a YouTube video showing how to construct
> > them...
> >
> > Steven Ciciora

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

AMPrentice
Can you access this PDF without joining?
I cant manage another email account filling up with so many posts.

Tim Humphrey wrote
Mikes pdf is available in the NEDRA yahoo group files bucket.
Rod Hower wrote
I just noticed Mike doesn't have the pdf at that
location.
Go to the archive,
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html
and type this in the search bar,
"DIY Zener-Regulator How-To on YouTube"
It will give you the full thread on this subject.
I have a bunch of regulator schemes posted by Lee
Hart, Don Cameron on John Lussamer, but can find
Mike's.
Let me know if you want me to forward any files.
Rod
--- Rod Hower <rodhower@ameritech.net> wrote:

> It was Mike W, here's the email with link,
> Hey great video Loni.  Here's a .pdf I put together
> last year that goes
> along nicely with your video.
> http://home.gci.net/~saintbernard/Zener_Regs.pdf  It
> shows some close
>  ups of
> the components that folks could look at while
> following your video.
>
> If there was anything I'd add to my procedure it
> would
> be a schematic
> showing that the resistor is in parallel with the
> lamp
> and those are in
> series with the other two zeners.   But seeing the
> pic
> close up of the
> resistor on the lamp most people could tell that was
> the fact.
>
> Anyway,  mine worked well enough, however I needed
> something a little
>  more
> aggressive.  Now I have flooded batteries so they
> are
> not needed.  But
> will save them for other projects down the line.
>
> Great video though.  Its sure to help lots of folks
> :-)
>
> Mike Willmon
>

> --- Steven Ciciora <karmannelectric@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Have a look at the following thread in the
> > archives:

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-p18749428
> > > And:
> > >

> http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Zener-lamp_regulator
> > >
> > > Someone had some great pics of how wire up the
> > zeners and
> > > bulbs, but
> > > despite a few minutes of googling, I can't get
> my
> > hands
> > > on it...
> > >

> > Didn't Mike Willmon make a .pdf?  I believe there
> is
> > also a YouTube video showing how to construct
> > them...
> >
> > Steven Ciciora

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

Rush Dougherty
It is also up on www.TEVA2.com, clik on projects and scroll down to the pdf
link. And you don't have to join TEVA2 to see it... ;>)

Rush
Tucson, AZ
2000 Insight, 62lmpg, #4965
www.ironandwood.org
www.Airphibian.com
www.TEVA2.com

> Mikes pdf is available in the NEDRA yahoo group files bucket.

> Rod Hower wrote:
>>
>> I just noticed Mike doesn't have the pdf at that
>> location.
>> Go to the archive,
>> http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html
>> and type this in the search bar,
>> "DIY Zener-Regulator How-To on YouTube"
>> It will give you the full thread on this subject.
>> I have a bunch of regulator schemes posted by Lee
>> Hart, Don Cameron on John Lussamer, but can find
>> Mike's.
>> Let me know if you want me to forward any files.
>> Rod
>> --- Rod Hower <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It was Mike W, here's the email with link,
>>> Hey great video Loni.  Here's a .pdf I put together
>>> last year that goes
>>> along nicely with your video.
>>> http://home.gci.net/~saintbernard/Zener_Regs.pdf  It
>>> shows some close
>>>  ups of
>>> the components that folks could look at while
>>> following your video.
>>>
>>> If there was anything I'd add to my procedure it
>>> would
>>> be a schematic
>>> showing that the resistor is in parallel with the
>>> lamp
>>> and those are in
>>> series with the other two zeners.   But seeing the
>>> pic
>>> close up of the
>>> resistor on the lamp most people could tell that was
>>> the fact.
>>>
>>> Anyway,  mine worked well enough, however I needed
>>> something a little
>>>  more
>>> aggressive.  Now I have flooded batteries so they
>>> are
>>> not needed.  But
>>> will save them for other projects down the line.
>>>
>>> Great video though.  Its sure to help lots of folks
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Mike Willmon
>>>

>>> --- Steven Ciciora <[hidden email]>

>> http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-p18749428
>>> > >

>>> http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Zener-lamp_regulator

>>> my

>>> is

> Nabble.com.

> 7:19 AM

Re: Re commended battery regulator for AGM's?

AMPrentice
Thank you here is the direct link to PDF file
http://www.teva2.com/Graphics/Zener_Regs.pdf

Can I ask a silly quetion on which end goes where when you have them finished?

Rush-5 wrote