Registering your EV In MASS???

Bob Rice-2
  Hi EVerybody;

  Was chatting with a guy in MA who was trying to get registered in MA. He said that they had an issue with converting cars over 10 years old? WHAT! This is a new wrinkle!! Never heard about this one? HE asked ME IF I knew of it? Well, no! Jesse P. you got your ears on; did they the Registry of MV's give YOU any shit? You had said that there was no issue going from CT to MA for an EV? The Sentra, a 89? It think, WAS registered in NYC, when I bought it, as an EV, so CT rubber stamped it by!

  It's scary what they can/will throw at you in registering conversions; When Mike took his S-10 in the battery holddowns were up to the individual inspector! They WERE strapped down, and UNDER the bed! They wern't going ANYWHERE ,without the car! I was under the impression the Massa two shits, was fairly easy to get a tag? in CT it isn't an issue as to AGE;older car is exempt from the smog test. IF you can FIND a car in CT, that old, that ISN'T mulch, convert it and sail on, hassle free!Hah! Good luck! A car museum, for doners? Guy up the road had a' 65 Corvair I eyed, but not crazy for convertables. HAD it been a coupe??I HAD a Corsa, YEARS ago, was a great little EV! So here there are loopholes!

    But, say it 'ain't so, as for AGE on a conversion!

    Seeya

    Bob

  __._,_.___
  Messages in this topic (2)
  Recent Activity: a.. New Members 2
  Visit Your Group
   Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest . Unsubscribe . Terms of Use.

  __,_._,___

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

Roland Wiench
Before converting a older vehicle, it is best to look up the States DMV web
site and see if there is a classis, vintage and a year limit for permanent
one time registering and permanent license plates.

I found this out way back in 1990's when the DMV put this data on line.  The
local DMV office will not tell you about this because they want to collect
the license fee every year.

Once you get a permanent registering and license, then you can do anything
to the vehicle you want.

>   Was chatting with a guy in MA who was trying to get registered in MA. He
> said that they had an issue with converting cars over 10 years old? WHAT!
> This is a new wrinkle!! Never heard about this one? HE asked ME IF I knew
> of it? Well, no! Jesse P. you got your ears on; did they the Registry of
> MV's give YOU any shit? You had said that there was no issue going from CT
> to MA for an EV? The Sentra, a 89? It think, WAS registered in NYC, when I
> bought it, as an EV, so CT rubber stamped it by!
>
>   It's scary what they can/will throw at you in registering conversions;
> When Mike took his S-10 in the battery holddowns were up to the individual
> inspector! They WERE strapped down, and UNDER the bed! They wern't going
> ANYWHERE ,without the car! I was under the impression the Massa two shits,
> was fairly easy to get a tag? in CT it isn't an issue as to AGE;older car
> is exempt from the smog test. IF you can FIND a car in CT, that old, that
> ISN'T mulch, convert it and sail on, hassle free!Hah! Good luck! A car
> museum, for doners? Guy up the road had a' 65 Corvair I eyed, but not
> crazy for convertables. HAD it been a coupe??I HAD a Corsa, YEARS ago, was
> a great little EV! So here there are loopholes!
>
>     But, say it 'ain't so, as for AGE on a conversion!
>
>     Seeya
>
>     Bob
>

>   __._,_.___
>   Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New
> Topic
>   Messages in this topic (2)
>   Recent Activity: a.. New Members 2
>   Visit Your Group
>    Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest . Unsubscribe . Terms of Use.
>
>   __,_._,___

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

damon henry

Personally I follow the don't ask/don't tell policy.  My 40 year old vehicle is obviously exempt from any emission checking, so I just renew the tabs every year online.  It was gas powered when I bought it and originally registered it.

damon

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:08:05 -0800
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Registering your EV In MASS???
>
> Before converting a older vehicle, it is best to look up the States DMV web
> site and see if there is a classis, vintage and a year limit for permanent
> one time registering and permanent license plates.
>
> I found this out way back in 1990's when the DMV put this data on line. The
> local DMV office will not tell you about this because they want to collect
> the license fee every year.
>
> Once you get a permanent registering and license, then you can do anything
> to the vehicle you want.
>
> Roland

David Harrington
If it's that old, there is no reason to tell. :)

The problem comes with us using newer vehicles that contain OBD1/2 systems.
Since the inspections in MA require the use of ODB1/2 in vehicles, a simple
check engine light for ANYTHING can fail you. Once your car is registered as
an EV, the inspection computer will ignore any ICE/Emission related errors
and let your pass inspection.

And no, if your donor car came with an ODB1/2 system, your cannot remove it.
If you do, the car is not considered safe to drive because you have removed
all the safety features, and you most likely lose all your dash gauges too.
At least that is how it works in MA. I had my inspection last month, so it's
been "EV legal" for over a year!

David Harrington

Electric Civic Conversion
http://civicity.blogspot.com

Personally I follow the don't ask/don't tell policy.  My 40 year old vehicle
is obviously exempt from any emission checking, so I just renew the tabs
every year online.  It was gas powered when I bought it and originally
registered it.

damon

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:08:05 -0800
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Registering your EV In MASS???
>
> Before converting a older vehicle, it is best to look up the States DMV
web
> site and see if there is a classis, vintage and a year limit for permanent

> one time registering and permanent license plates.
>
> I found this out way back in 1990's when the DMV put this data on line.
The
> local DMV office will not tell you about this because they want to collect

> the license fee every year.
>
> Once you get a permanent registering and license, then you can do anything

> to the vehicle you want.
>
> Roland

http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20100225/60cb1bed/attac
hment.html

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/

-David

1996 Civic LX EV
http://civicity.blogspot.com/

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

John O'Connor-3
My registration was a piece of cake. My truck is a 1986 and it did
not enter the commonwealth with a engine. I had it registered as a
non-operating vehicle in California and shipped it here to Mass.

When the time eventually came where it was road worthy, I just
brought my title to DMV (Chicopee MA as I recall)  and paid my money.

(it wasn't THAT simple, the woman at the desk had to ask the woman
next to her what do do)

She entered it in the database as an  electric and thats that.  They
never asked any questions about the vehicle and never saw it, just
said it will need to pass regular inspection and get a sticker. The
nice woman said it will show up as electric when they enter the VIN
so no emission test is required.

At the inspection station, the guy didn't believe me and insisted
the computer would not spit out a sticker without the emissions test.

I said, the DMV told me it will work so after the standard MA safety
stuff hat after checking horn, lights flashers, wheels, ect  (No NOT
weigh in, and he didn't look at any of the electric stuff or the
batteries) out comes a sticker.

Throughout the inspection process I was pacing about like the soon to
be fathers in the waiting room from the older movies. (The truck had
not moved for about 4 years)

John in MA

On Feb 25, 2010, at 12:53 PM, Bob Rice wrote:

>   Hi EVerybody;
>
>   Was chatting with a guy in MA who was trying to get registered in
> MA. He said that they had an issue with converting cars over 10
> years old? WHAT! This is a new wrinkle!! Never heard about this
> one? HE asked ME IF I knew of it? Well, no! Jesse P. you got your
> ears on; did they the Registry of MV's give YOU any shit? You had
> said that there was no issue going from CT to MA for an EV? The
> Sentra, a 89? It think, WAS registered in NYC, when I bought it, as
> an EV, so CT rubber stamped it by!
>
>   It's scary what they can/will throw at you in registering
> conversions; When Mike took his S-10 in the battery holddowns were
> up to the individual inspector! They WERE strapped down, and UNDER
> the bed! They wern't going ANYWHERE ,without the car! I was under
> the impression the Massa two shits, was fairly easy to get a tag?
> in CT it isn't an issue as to AGE;older car is exempt from the smog
> test. IF you can FIND a car in CT, that old, that ISN'T mulch,
> convert it and sail on, hassle free!Hah! Good luck! A car museum,
> for doners? Guy up the road had a' 65 Corvair I eyed, but not crazy
> for convertables. HAD it been a coupe??I HAD a Corsa, YEARS ago,
> was a great little EV! So here there are loopholes!
>
>     But, say it 'ain't so, as for AGE on a conversion!
>
>     Seeya
>
>     Bob
>

>   __._,_.___
>   Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a
> New Topic
>   Messages in this topic (2)
>   Recent Activity: a.. New Members 2
>   Visit Your Group
>    Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest . Unsubscribe . Terms of Use.
>
>   __,_._,___

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

NeilBlanchard
Hi John,

Have you or anyone else you know registered a scratch-built EV here in Mass?  I'm just starting the design process, and I'm not sure I'll get it done, ever -- but I'm wondering how such a thing would work?

Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.vox.com/library/posts/

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

John O'Connor-3
I don't know anyone that has built any road vehicle from scratch.

John

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:03 PM, Neil Blanchard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Have you or anyone else you know registered a scratch-built EV here
> in Mass?  I'm just starting the design process, and I'm not sure
> I'll get it done, ever -- but I'm wondering how such a thing would
> work?
>
> Sincerely, Neil
> http://neilblanchard.vox.com/library/posts/

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

Dennis Miles
Neil, and John, If Mass is too difficult bring it to Florida, It is easy
here just show receipts for manufacturer built running gear, Axels,
bearings, brakes, wheels , tires, steering box, master cylinder, and such,
Homebuilt highway cars have always been allowed in Florida. after you get a
title and license plate, take it back to Mass and next year transfer it into
Mass.
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.EVTechnicalinstitute.COM
Phone (863) 289 - 0690
          EV service mechs need training!
We want them to REALLY UNDERSTAND: EV Systems, Operation and Technology
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know anyone that has built any road vehicle from scratch.
>
> John
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:03 PM, Neil Blanchard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Have you or anyone else you know registered a scratch-built EV here
> > in Mass?  I'm just starting the design process, and I'm not sure
> > I'll get it done, ever -- but I'm wondering how such a thing would
> > work?
> >
> > Sincerely, Neil
> > http://neilblanchard.vox.com/library/posts/

> .

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

NeilBlanchard
Hi Dennis,

> Neil, and John, If Mass is too difficult bring it to Florida, It is easy
> here just show receipts for manufacturer built running gear, Axels,
> bearings, brakes, wheels , tires, steering box, master cylinder, and such,
> Homebuilt highway cars have always been allowed in Florida. after you get a
> title and license plate, take it back to Mass and next year transfer it into
> Mass.

Thank you for the information Dennis.  The beginning of the plan ideas are in my blog (see sig), by the way.

I made a 1/24th scale model, and now I've started drawings.  A 3D CAD model is next, and I need to find a way to test and refine the aerodynamics.  Last week, I saw what a friend of mine is doing: he's building a 2-seat airplane from scratch (http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/sonex.html), and the whole thing including the engine will weigh between 570-620 pounds.  So, seeing how he is making that made me think ... hmmm.

Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.vox.com/library/posts/

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

Roger Heuckeroth
It's legal in NY. You can register as homebuilt motor vehicle.  Don't
have any clue about MA.

On Feb 26, 2010, at 11:22 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know anyone that has built any road vehicle from scratch.
>
> John
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:03 PM, Neil Blanchard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Have you or anyone else you know registered a scratch-built EV here
>> in Mass?  I'm just starting the design process, and I'm not sure
>> I'll get it done, ever -- but I'm wondering how such a thing would
>> work?
>>
>> Sincerely, Neil
>> http://neilblanchard.vox.com/library/posts/

Re: Registering your EV In MASS???

Seth Rothenberg
In NJ they call it "Specially Constructed Vehicle"