Requesting UK EVrs help ... L3 off the M2 in Kent

Requesting UK EVrs help ... L3 off the M2 in Kent

brucedp5
In the piece
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Is-UK-Level-3-EVSE-CHAdeMo-or-Combo-tp4655527.html
I posted, the newswire mentions a new L3 has been installed at that location. The image shows the quick charge port being used on a Leaf EV.

-So, are UK Leaf EVs also using CHAdeMo as their L3 standard, or do UK Leaf EVs come with something else?

-The image shows some yellow painted lines on the asphalt in the background. A Google map look shows the yellow painted disabled parking just to the left of the main walk-in entrance (we paint ours in blue in California).
Is safe to think the L3 EVSE is at the left-most part of that line of disabled parking spots?

-The piece mentioned that it costs about 2 pounds to get a 30 minute quick charge. GBP 2 ~USD $3 is quite good compared to the USD $7 for an EVGo L3 charge here.
Is that cost typical for a L3 quick charge in the UK?

-And is there anyone near that location (please only if is not out of your way) to report back as to where it is and what type of L3 EVSE is used. It would also be helpful to know if there is any L2 EVSE, and the parking and EVSE usage rates.

As I previously posted, GM is trying to bully their choice of using the European Combo L3 standard. So I would like to know what is going on, and be less in the dark.

Thanks,

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Requesting UK EVrs help ... L3 off the M2 in Kent

martinwinlow
Hi Bruce,

The Mennekes L3 'standard' appears to have the lions share over here but the rather manic looking chap in the photo is holding a plug that does not look like the Mennekes plugs I have seen.  The Leafs I have seen over here (and a friend is getting one for the day on Wednesday, BTW) have either just the J1772 (standard) or J1772 plus the CHAdeMO (as an option).

I think the Google Map image for Clacket Lane is relatively old and I would guess the paint colour will be different than yellow - green or blue is what I have seen at other EV bays so far over here.

Electricity cost - 20kWh x maybe 5p/kWh (industrial rate - I'm guessing) = £1.  I don't think most L3 chargers require a fee at the moment as most of them are at dealers and can only be used by 'customers' and staff.  Ask again in 6 months.

 I'll do some research and post again - sadly that location is on the other side of London from me - about 90 mins drive - so I won't be checking it in person.

(A bit of Googling later...)

It's a CHAdeMO...

http://www.engenie.co.uk/index.php/rapid-charging-solutions/

In fact all 50 of their planned 'length and breadth of the UK' L3 charger network installations are...

http://engenie.co.uk/index.php/news/roadchef_launch/

Too bad if you live along the East coast, the South West, Wales, most of Scotland...

Looks like we are going to see a proper VHS Vs Betamax battle in the UK for charging standards.  How disappointing.  At least we'll have the advantage of a bit of competition to bring prices down.

MW

On 9 Jun 2012, at 20:02, brucedp5 wrote:

> In the piece
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Is-UK-Level-3-EVSE-CHAdeMo-or-Combo-tp4655527.html
> I posted, the newswire mentions a new L3 has been installed at that
> location. The image shows the quick charge port being used on a Leaf EV.
>
> -So, are UK Leaf EVs also using CHAdeMo as their L3 standard, or do UK Leaf
> EVs come with something else?
>
> -The image shows some yellow painted lines on the asphalt in the background.
> A Google map look shows the yellow painted disabled parking just to the left
> of the main walk-in entrance (we paint ours in blue in California).
> Is safe to think the L3 EVSE is at the left-most part of that line of
> disabled parking spots?
>
> -The piece mentioned that it costs about 2 pounds to get a 30 minute quick
> charge. GBP 2 ~USD $3 is quite good compared to the USD $7 for an EVGo L3
> charge here.
> Is that cost typical for a L3 quick charge in the UK?
>
> -And is there anyone near that location (please only if is not out of your
> way) to report back as to where it is and what type of L3 EVSE is used. It
> would also be helpful to know if there is any L2 EVSE, and the parking and
> EVSE usage rates.
>
> As I previously posted, GM is trying to bully their choice of using the
> European Combo L3 standard. So I would like to know what is going on, and be
> less in the dark.
>

> Thanks,
>
> {brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Requesting UK EVrs help ... L3 off the M2 in Kent

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
Hi Martin,

Thanks that is what I wanted to know.

IMO I find it odd that company would want to go against the majority
and use CHAdeMO. If I were buying a Production EV in the UK, I would
want the ability to tap into EVSE that is the most available.

So, now the UK has three L3 standards to contend with:

Mennekes fast-filling, works-great.

CHAdeMO few and far between, and mainly for the Roadchef addicted.

And if the European Automakers have their way, Combo, a larger
heavier/clumsier plug and an unknown quantity.

Whereas here in the states, the Leaf and iMiev use CHAdeMO so all
L3 companies here have gone with that majority. With lots of profit
per charge these L3 companies are aggressively installing them here.

L3 EVSE Wars
I have seen lots of paid newswires pushing the GM agenda to get
Combo accepted (GM being the 800 pound gorilla, may just get their way
same as they got that ridiculous EV charging law in place that no
parking-attendant knows of, thus does not enforce):

Inside autos‎
Detroit Free Press - 6/10/2012
... for electric vehicles, apparently with an eye on China's
electric-vehicle market. ... or EVs, while Europe and the U.S. favor the
Combo fast-charging system.
Electric Charging Standard War, Japan Against The World

Torque News
European organisations settle on electric car plug system

Building Charging Stations Doesn't Mean Electric Cars Will Come
‎EV World - 6/10/2012
... entrepreneur Norman P. Zarwin opened an electric-vehicle charging
kiosk at a ... and North American carmakers supplant the CHAdeMO
standard being used ...

New York to Spend $4.4M on EV Charging Stations
‎EV World - 6/10/2012
... million to fund hundreds of electric-vehicle charging stations
around the state. ... and North American carmakers supplant the CHAdeMO
standard being used ...

‎Detroit Free Press - 6/10/2012
Japan is promoting the CHAdeMo battery-charging system for its electric
... for electric vehicles, apparently with an eye on China's
electric-vehicle market.
Electric Charging Standard War, Japan Against The World

Torque News - 6/9/2012
For those of you who are eagerly watching the CHAdeMo versus Combo
system fast charging war, .... Electric vehicle company may have
purchased Saab ...

Torque News
Automakers aim to set global standard for electric-car charging

Torque News - 6/8/2012
For those of you who are eagerly watching the CHAdeMo versus Combo
system fast charging war, .... Electric vehicle company may have
purchased Saab ...
Automakers aim to set global standard for electric-car charging

News & Observer - 6/8/2012
... for electric vehicles, apparently with an eye on China's
electric-vehicle market. ... Japan is promoting the CHAdeMo
battery-charging system for its electric ...

News & Observer - 6/8/2012
... for electric vehicles, apparently with an eye on China's
electric-vehicle market. ... Volkswagen, a major promoter of the Combo
system, plans to put EVs on the ...

TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk (blog) - May 27, 2012
It is believed that the Type 2/Type 2 Combo vehicle inlet is the only
solution that is able to combine ... 44754 views; The Electric Vehicle
Forum set for Portsmouth ...
Fleet News Online
EV chargers 'need global standard'

‎just-auto.com (subscription) - May 24, 2012
There should be a global standard for electric vehicle chargers, the
CHAdeMO association, based in Japan, said. Toshiyuki Shiga, association
president and ...
EV chargers 'need global standard'

The Daily Yomiuri - May 23, 2012
EV makers aim for intl standards. The Yomiuri Shimbun. Domestic
automakers, which use the CHAdeMO system for electric vehicle
rechargers, seek to establish ...
EV makers aim for intl standards

The Daily Yomiuri - May 23, 2012
Domestic automakers, which use the CHAdeMO system for electric vehicle
... with Western makers employing the Combo system, industry sources
have said.
Japan: CHAdeMO bemoans SAE Combo standard

Automotive World - May 23, 2012
Japan: CHAdeMO bemoans SAE Combo standard. Wednesday, May 23 ... Related
Research. Research: The electric vehicle recharging infrastructure
report ...
EVS: Aerovironment's been around long enough to not pick sides in ...

Autoblog (blog) - May 15, 2012
... the 20-year-old EV1 in its booth at the Electric Vehicle Symposium
(EVS26): it's ... charging story at EVS26, the new SAE combo charger for
DC fast charging.
Dueling Fast Charge Standards: Who Will Win Out?

EV World - May 14, 2012
At this weeks EVS26 electric vehicle conference, the impending choice
... which includes a new "combo" connector supporting not only AC
charging, but also DC ...

[All that is from only one of the newswire sources I use, so there is
more I won't bore you with]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_Lite#Advertising
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/800_lb_gorilla

{brucedp.150m.com}