Resources on utilizing Tesla motors

I've been lurking on this list for years, thank you for all the insightful posts!

I'm looking for information on what it would take to use a salvaged/removed motor(s) from a Tesla (ideally a Model 3) in an EV conversion.

The conversion car would be a 1966 Mustang.  The goal is to gut the car entirely, and use the front and rear drivetrains from a TM3 as intact as possible (suspension and all).  From what I gather, controlling the motors in lieu of the rest of the car (software+hardware), is the hard part.  I'm open to "it's not currently possible", or "it's insanely difficult".  Any direction on the matter of actually controlling the motors is what I'm in search of.

I'm specifically looking at drivetrains from the TM3 on account of a higher likelihood of direct transfer into the destination vehicle.  I've seen that 057tech.com <http://057tech.com/> has S and X motors and controllers available, but the additional work around the suspension (specifically fab'ing it all from scratch) is making me curious about the direct drop-in approach.  This is the same reason I'd like to avoid e.g. Netgain motors, since I'm looking to improve on the existing suspension geometry, and spend more fab time related to battery placement, etc...

Also open to "just get an EV and be done with it."  We have a LR AWD TM3 already, so the thought has crossed my mind.

Thank you!
-lev

On Sep 11, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Lev Lvovsky via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been lurking on this list for years, thank you for all the insightful posts!
>
> I'm looking for information on what it would take to use a salvaged/removed motor(s) from a Tesla (ideally a Model 3) in an EV conversion.

For anyone curious, EVDL user Corey H. suggested I reach out to the owner of evbmw.com <http://evbmw.com/>.  I got an auto response which among other things pointed me here:

https://openinverter.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=a868e2903bac7eda2a4696714ac02fb3 <https://openinverter.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=a868e2903bac7eda2a4696714ac02fb3>

Thank you Corey!
-lev

Re: Resources on utilizing Tesla motors

Hi Paul,

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 1:11 PM, paul dove via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jack Richard on EVTV has done it and you can buy them from him as well already functional.
>
> http://store.evtv.me/products.php?cat=1 <http://store.evtv.me/products.php?cat=1>
Thank you for the link, I wasn't aware of Jack's selling these units.

The model S drive train is wider than I can accomodate, and the price difference from 057tech is pretty substantial.  That being said, it's good to know of the options available.

Thanks!
-lev

Re: Resources on utilizing Tesla motors

The main point is he developed hardware and software to control them

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 12, 2019, at 8:40 AM, Lev Lvovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
>> On Sep 11, 2019, at 1:11 PM, paul dove via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Jack Richard on EVTV has done it and you can buy them from him as well already functional.
>>
>> http://store.evtv.me/products.php?cat=1
>
> Thank you for the link, I wasn't aware of Jack's selling these units.
>
> The model S drive train is wider than I can accomodate, and the price difference from 057tech is pretty substantial.  That being said, it's good to know of the options available.
>
> Thanks!
> -lev

Re: Resources on utilizing Tesla motors

Hi Paul,

> On Sep 12, 2019, at 8:20 AM, paul dove <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The main point is he developed hardware and software to control them
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Yep, it looks like the S and X motors are reasonably well understood. Depending on the timing of actually putting in the motors, I might have to go with this option, assuming that the TM3 motors haven't gotten more R&D done...

Thanks!
-lev

Re: Resources on utilizing Tesla motors

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMlfBKd_hz8

Old school conversion using Tesla drive train.  Lawrence Rhodes