Rimac Super EV available for order

David Nelson-5
Some have wondered about the Rimac super car and whether it was real.
They are taking orders now. For those that missed it it was fun
watching some of the early planning and pictures of the drivetrain on
DIY. User CroDriver posted about it. Unfortunately something happened
with the site hosting the pictures he posted and they are no longer
available. IIRC, each wheel gets its own motor. They are mounted as
one unit at the center of the axles with attached gearbox so they are
not unsprung weight.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075674_1m-rimac-electric-supercar-now-available-to-order

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

Re: Rimac Super EV available for order

Lee Hart
On 4/26/2012 7:00 PM, David Nelson wrote:
> Some have wondered about the Rimac super car and whether it was real.

That was me. :-) The too-perfect photos, extreme performance claims, and
extravagant price made me suspicious.

> They are taking orders now. For those that missed it it was fun
> watching some of the early planning and pictures of the drivetrain on
> DIY. User CroDriver posted about it. Unfortunately something happened
> with the site hosting the pictures he posted and they are no longer
> available. IIRC, each wheel gets its own motor. They are mounted as
> one unit at the center of the axles with attached gearbox so they are
> not unsprung weight.

I'm just curious if anyone has actually seen the thing. Any magazine
test reports? Sightings at a car show? Something besides the company's
own press reports?
--
If you would not be forgotten
When your body's dead and rotten
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm just curious if anyone has actually seen the thing. Any magazine
> test reports? Sightings at a car show? Something besides the company's
> own press reports?

It was at the Frankfurt auto show. I've seen some video footage of it.
CroDriver on DIY has an amazing BMW he has been using as a test bed
for EV testing which then went into a new project he was tight lipped
about for a while until he revealed this car.

Here are some links:
The auto show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h9nBzNJ4zk
A short article:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/18/rimac-automobilis-concept-one-supercar-spotted-in-action-looks/
Video of it coming out of the "shop" and driving around:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkpetEjePUo

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328
http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

Re: Rimac Super EV available for order

Voltswagon
I surprised there hasn't been any performance footage released yet.  The most I've seen is a video of it pulling out of a parking lot.

Lets see it smoke a Tesla, Ferrari, bugatti, etc!

On 4/27/2012 3:34 AM, Voltswagon wrote:
> I surprised there hasn't been any performance footage released yet.  The most
> I've seen is a video of it pulling out of a parking lot.
>
> Lets see it smoke a Tesla, Ferrari, bugatti, etc!

Exactly!

Remember the pitiful early videos of the Chevy Volt creeping around on
what appeared to be golf cart components? No one took it seriously. They
"don't get no respect; no respect at all" until they had a car that
actually *proved* what they were claiming!

Talk is cheap, and Photoshop is even cheaper.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: Rimac Super EV available for order

rodhower
http://www.motornature.com/2011/09/the-rimac-concept-one-electric-supercar-when-croats-legitimately-want-to-outdo-tesla-motors/

And his testbed vehicle is quite impressive,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-_azD2vNo

Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

brucedp5

r:370mi ts:185MPH 0-60:2.8s

[unformatted]
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/stories/an-electric-car-for-the-1-percent
[image] An electric car for the 1 percent
The Rimac Concept One will be available to only the 88 people willing to pay nearly $1 million for the sporty and sleek electric car.
By EarthTechling  Apr 25 2012

[image
http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/RimacHybrid_main_0425.jpg
Rimac Concept One NOT YOUR FATHER'S ELECTRIC CAR: The Rimac Concept One boasts a 92 kilowatt hour LiFeP04 battery system, with 1,088 horsepower output and 250 kilowatt electric motors for each wheel.
]

In life there will be most of us, and there will be the one percent. There will be those of us who fly in coach, and there will be those of us who have their own private jets. There will be those of us who enjoy our small homes, and those of us who dwell in luxury manors. When it comes to green cars, there will be those of us who drive the Prius, and those who drive the $980,000 Rimac Concept One electric sports car.

We first brought you word of the very expensive Rimac Concept One last year, when we reported about how this Croatian-built electric supercar would be capable of going 0 to 60 in just 2.8 seconds. The vehicle is now back again, reported Wired, being shown off recently at Top Marques Monaco, which is considered one of the world’s most exclusive car shows. Considering it is in Monaco, we don’t find that hard to believe.

The Concept One, noted HybridCars, will only be available to 88 drivers. Those willing to pony up will get quite the green technology car, though not all might consider such a vehicle to have any environmental qualities at all. What you do get for your close to $1 million is a vehicle with 1,088 horsepower output and 250 kilowatt electric motors for each wheel.

Sporting a 92 kilowatt hour LiFeP04 battery system, the car has an impressive range of over 370 miles, making it a strong contender against other all-electric luxury companies like Tesla Motors - though with a much higher price tag to boot. The vehicle on the interior is tailored for comfort and looks to include a rear-view camera display, two side displays for the driver, and an interactive console display, which we assume is for non-essential features like stereo systems and GPS navigation.

The car, with its 1,180 pound feet of torque, also has some special tires from Vredestein that Rimac says “can guarantee superior road handling and performance with an elegant and stylish appearance.”  These tires will operate well on the vehicle’s limited by the manufacturer 185 MPH top speed. When asked why they limited it to this, Rimac said “it can go 500 kph [310 mph], but we can’t guarantee the passenger’s safety.”  [© 2012 MNN Holdings  All Rights Reserved]

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

Al-57
Is it just me or do these numbers sound ridiculously overblown?

Al

> [...]
> for the driver, and an interactive console display, which we assume is for
> non-essential features like stereo systems and GPS navigation.
>
> The car, with its 1,180 pound feet of torque, also has some special tires
> from Vredestein that Rimac says “can guarantee superior road handling and
> performance with an elegant and stylish appearance.”  These tires will
> operate well on the vehicle’s limited by the manufacturer 185 MPH top
> speed.
> When asked why they limited it to this, Rimac said “it can go 500 kph [310
> mph], but we can’t guarantee the passenger’s safety.”  [© 2012 MNN
> Holdings
> All Rights Reserved]
>

> {brucedp.150m.com}

> Nabble.com.

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

EVDL Administrator
On 29 Apr 2012 at 22:28, Al wrote:

> Is it just me or do these numbers sound ridiculously overblown?

It's not just you.

I suppose some folks can afford it and can find a way to justify it, but to
me, the price is especially far out there.

Talk about conspicuous consumption.  :-(

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

Voltswagon
Have you priced any other supercars?  This will blow anything out of the water for a fraction of the price.

On 4/30/2012 9:08 AM, Voltswagon wrote:
> Have you priced any other supercars?  This will blow anything out of the
> water for a fraction of the price.

*IF* you believe their marketing...

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

David Nelson-5
Lee, I understand your skepticism but I've been watching the key
designer/builder/founder for long time on DIY, over 2 years any way.
Maybe check out
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28287 to see
where his BMW started and follow it through. Unfortunately not all the
photos are available any more due to something getting messed up with
his photo bucket account. Also check out
http://www.rimac-automobili.com and follow some of the links at the
bottom of the page. Check out the evaluation vehicle links to see more
of his BMW conversion. The DIY thread I referenced used to have
multiple pictures of the various iterations of things he did with it.
This was before the concept-one car was even mentioned. I have no
doubt that the concept-one exists and is fast. You seem bent on
finding/making up any FUD you can about it. Why? Mate Rimac didn't go
out and make a bunch of pretty pictures and ask for investors. Check
out his history and you might understand where I'm coming from on
this.

David Nelson wrote:
> Lee, I understand your skepticism but I've been watching the key
> designer/builder/founder for long time on DIY, over 2 years any way.

I'm skeptical, but not cynical. I think what he's claiming is possible;
but not likely. I just want to see objective hard evidence before I
believe it; not just what the developer says about it himself.

--
"Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

Morgan LaMoore
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David Nelson wrote:
>> Lee, I understand your skepticism but I've been watching the key
>> designer/builder/founder for long time on DIY, over 2 years any way.
>
> I'm skeptical, but not cynical. I think what he's claiming is possible;
> but not likely. I just want to see objective hard evidence before I
> believe it; not just what the developer says about it himself.

Looking at the photos of the motors and gearboxes, I think it's likely
they took 4 motors and inverters that are each rated at 200kW peak and
added a ridiculous amount of Lithium cells to the mix. Those sorts of
motors and inverters are available, even if they're quite expensive.
Whether that's 800kW mechanical or electrical or only with a full
charge is up in the air, but it probably does have a ridiculous amount
of power; the price tag can certainly support it.

That said, there's far more to a supercar than just lots of power; the
suspension is very important. And I'm skeptical as to whether it will
actually out-perform cars that cost a quarter as much anywhere besides
the drag strip.

-Morgan LaMoore

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

David Dymaxion
Argh, 310 mph? The record for the fastest stock bodied car on the Salt Flats is 301 mph. I would be very impressed to see it surpass 300 mph!

________________________________
> operate well on the vehicle’s limited by the manufacturer 185 MPH top
> speed.
> When asked why they limited it to this, Rimac said “it can go 500 kph [310
> mph], but we can’t guarantee the passenger’s safety.”  [© 2012 MNN
> Holdings
> All Rights Reserved]

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

Morgan LaMoore
OK, I'm very skeptical of that specification as well. I would expect
them to select the gear ratio such that it can't go much faster than
their claimed 185 mph.

Maybe if they take an optimistic guess at CdA and Crr they calculate
that they have enough power to do 310mph, but that still sounds
ridiculously high.

-Morgan LaMoore

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM, David Dymaxion
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Argh, 310 mph? The record for the fastest stock bodied car on the Salt Flats is 301 mph. I would be very impressed to see it surpass 300 mph!

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

Cor van de Water
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Argh, 310 mph? The record for the fastest stock bodied car on the Salt
Flats is 301 mph. I would be very impressed to see it surpass 300 mph!

Most likely it will go flying and I mean literally, not figuratively
(not "go fast" but "take to the air")...
There is a reason that stock bodied cars have not gone beyond 301 MPH
and that is not just lack of power.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

martinwinlow
Just looks like a mock-up and some fancy photoshop-cum-3d CAD renderings to me, I'm afraid.  Pretty tho!

MW

On 29 Apr 2012, at 13:11, brucedp5 wrote:

> [...]
> higher price tag to boot. The vehicle on the interior is tailored for
> comfort and looks to include a rear-view camera display, two side displays
> for the driver, and an interactive console display, which we assume is for
> non-essential features like stereo systems and GPS navigation.
>
> The car, with its 1,180 pound feet of torque, also has some special tires
> from Vredestein that Rimac says “can guarantee superior road handling and
> performance with an elegant and stylish appearance.”  These tires will
> operate well on the vehicle’s limited by the manufacturer 185 MPH top speed.
> When asked why they limited it to this, Rimac said “it can go 500 kph [310
> mph], but we can’t guarantee the passenger’s safety.”  [© 2012 MNN Holdings
> All Rights Reserved]

Re: EVLN: $1M Rimac Concept One is not your Father's nEV

Jeffrey Jenkins
Mate released a promo video showing some burnouts and drifting:

http://www.youtube.com/v/NaJUZIdDiFw

So it seems safe to say that his "Concept 1" is more than just some fancy photoshopping...

I have no association with Mr. Rimac (ie - he doesn't use our products) but regardless of that I wish to see him succeed. It would appear that few if any of the commentators to this thread share my perspective, and I find that immensely saddening.

A little skepticism is healthy - especially in the EV business - but there comes a point when one's healthy skepticism turns to toxic cynicism. I'm no idealistic naif, but I do know one thing: cynics don't change the world, they just sit on their duffs mocking those that do.

On 5 May 2012, at 14:42, Jeffrey Jenkins wrote:

> Mate released a promo video showing some burnouts and drifting:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/v/NaJUZIdDiFw
>
> So it seems safe to say that his "Concept 1" is more than just some fancy
> photoshopping...
>
> I have no association with Mr. Rimac (ie - he doesn't use our products) but
> regardless of that I wish to see him succeed. It would appear that few if
> any of the commentators to this thread share my perspective, and I find that
> immensely saddening.
>
> A little skepticism is healthy - especially in the EV business - but there
> comes a point when one's healthy skepticism turns to toxic cynicism. I'm no
> idealistic naif, but I do know one thing: cynics don't change the world,
> they just sit on their duffs mocking those that do.

Hi Jeff,

Don't be too miffed about the skeptics here (myself included).  Rimac may have good reason to be keeping low-key. But you must surely agree that there is very, very little that is in the public domain to suggest this vehicle is anywhere near production-ready.  That assumes it is ever intended to go 'into production' in a mass produced, mainstream way.  He may be hand building them all.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in this latest video that makes me think any differently.  Still no closeups of drivetrains or electronics.  The dash displays are all blank, no front lights working...

As I said it is a pretty car (if a bit blingy) and I wish Mr Rimac all the best with whatever he has in mind - as long as it is lawful!

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk