S10 Range

KilowattA798
I am looking very hard at the GBS 100 AH cells to replace the 30 Odyssey
PC1200s I use now. They will be used for 95% street driving.
My range now down to 50% debt of discharge is 26 mostly flat miles.
I want to install 112 100AH cells (388 ocv nominal),this will also take off
over 500 lbs from the 3900lbs the S 10 weighs now.
Any good guesses what it would run taking the GBS down to 80%?

Thanks
Dennis Berube

Re: S10 Range

Ronald Adamowicz
Dennis,

What is the C-Rating of these batteries? If the maximum is only 10C then you will need and enormous amount of batteries to reach 2000 amps. You can build a much smaller pack with Lipo cells with a higher C-rating, which will also save you even more weight. I know of some new Lipo's in engineering that are almost complete, I would wait a week or two.

Ronald Adamowicz
President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
www.IEDRA.net
www.GeoMetricMoving.com
Director
www.ECEDRA.com

Re: S10 Range

KilowattA798
In a message dated 5/19/2011 8:12:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:
> Subj:Re: [EVDL] S10 Range
> Date:5/19/2011 8:12:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:[hidden email]
> Reply-to:[hidden email]
> To:[hidden email]
> Received from Internet:

My S 10 really is a daily driver and it would be nice to have over a 100
mile range. I have bench tested  4 cells to 1200 amps over 50 times now
without problems. The C rate is only 10 but for the app. I do not need more.

> Dennis,
>
> What is the C-Rating of these batteries? If the maximum is only 10C then
> you will need and enormous amount of batteries to reach 2000 amps. You can
> build a much smaller pack with Lipo cells with a higher C-rating, which will
> also save you even more weight. I know of some new Lipo's in engineering
> that are almost complete, I would wait a week or two.
>

> Ronald Adamowicz
> President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
> www.IEDRA.net
> www.GeoMetricMoving.com
> Director
> www.ECEDRA.com

Re: S10 Range

Hello Dennis,

To do a estimate range, just do a proportional formula in relation to each
known constant as:

Knowns:  Existing = 3900 lbs = 360 volts = 26 miles = 50% DOD

         New      = 3400 lbs = 388 volts =  X miles = 80% DOC

Therefore the formula becomes:

        (((((3900 x 26)/3400) x 388) / 360) x 80)/50 = 51.36 miles

> I am looking very hard at the GBS 100 AH cells to replace the 30 Odyssey
> PC1200s I use now. They will be used for 95% street driving.
> My range now down to 50% debt of discharge is 26 mostly flat miles.
> I want to install 112 100AH cells (388 ocv nominal),this will also take
> off
> over 500 lbs from the 3900lbs the S 10 weighs now.
> Any good guesses what it would run taking the GBS down to 80%?
>
> Thanks
> Dennis Berube

Re: S10 Range

Ronald Adamowicz
Dennis,

Okay, then they seem like a good choice for your needs. Good Luck!

[hidden email] writes:
> Subj:Re: [EVDL] S10 Range
> Date:5/19/2011 8:12:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:[hidden email]
> Reply-to:[hidden email]
> To:[hidden email]
> Received from Internet:

My S 10 really is a daily driver and it would be nice to have over a 100
mile range. I have bench tested  4 cells to 1200 amps over 50 times now
without problems. The C rate is only 10 but for the app. I do not need more.

> Dennis,

> What is the C-Rating of these batteries? If the maximum is only 10C then
> you will need and enormous amount of batteries to reach 2000 amps. You can
> build a much smaller pack with Lipo cells with a higher C-rating, which will
> also save you even more weight. I know of some new Lipo's in engineering
> that are almost complete, I would wait a week or two.
>

> Ronald Adamowicz
> President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
> www.IEDRA.net
> www.GeoMetricMoving.com
> Director
> www.ECEDRA.com

Re: S10 Range

David "Battery Boy" Hawkins
RONALD ADAMOWICZ,
2000 AMPS? E-gads, that sounds like drag racing talk to me. Now that
this is the NDRL, Non Drag Racing List, you should watch your P's and
Q's, or did you not get the memo?
--
Suck Amps,
Dave "Battery Boy" Hawkins

Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:09:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: RONALD ADAMOWICZ
Dennis,
?
What is the C-Rating of these batteries? If the maximum is only 10C
then you will need and enormous amount of batteries to reach 2000
amps.
<snip snip>

Re: S10 Range

Ronald Adamowicz
Battery Boy,

I see your out of school early today. I respect the EVDL, you should also, this is not a playground.

Ronald Adamowicz
President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
www.IEDRA.net
www.GeoMetricMoving.com
Director
www.ECEDRA.com

Re: S10 Range

David "Battery Boy" Hawkins
Dennis (RONALD, and All),
Gosh, 1000 amps still sounds a lot like drag racing to me, but I'm
going with 64.55 miles at 80% DOD.
--
Suck Amps,
Dave "Battery Boy" Hawkins

Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:12:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: RONALD ADAMOWICZ
Dennis,
?
Okay, then they seem like a good choice for your needs. Good Luck!

Ronald Adamowicz

Re: S10 Range

John Lussmyer
On 5/19/2011 2:03 PM, David "Battery Boy" Hawkins wrote:
> Dennis (RONALD, and All),
> Gosh, 1000 amps still sounds a lot like drag racing to me, but I'm
> going with 64.55 miles at 80% DOD.

Especially at 300+ volts!
My 8000lb EV truck cruises along at 60mph using about 140A at 250V.

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Re: S10 Range

KilowattA798
In a message dated 5/19/2011 2:14:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> Subj:Re: [EVDL] S10 Range
> Date:5/19/2011 2:14:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:[hidden email]
> Reply-to:[hidden email]
> To:[hidden email]
> Received from Internet:
>

> On 5/19/2011 2:03 PM, David "Battery Boy" Hawkins wrote:
> >Dennis (RONALD, and All),
> >Gosh, 1000 amps still sounds a lot like drag racing to me, but I'm
> >going with 64.55 miles at 80% DOD.
>
> Especially at 300+ volts!
> My 8000lb EV truck cruises along at 60mph using about 140A at 250V.

The 100AH  10C pack will put out 1000 amps and will hopefully get my 100
mile range. The 60AH pack 10C will put out 600 amps(enough) but it will not
give me the range I need to do All my local service calls.

But I understand.................I will not post here anymore

Dennis Berube

Re: S10 Range

John Lussmyer
On 5/19/2011 2:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> In a message dated 5/19/2011 2:14:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>> Subj:Re: [EVDL] S10 Range
>> Date:5/19/2011 2:14:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time
>> From:[hidden email]
>> Reply-to:[hidden email]
>> To:[hidden email]
>> Received from Internet:
>>

>> On 5/19/2011 2:03 PM, David "Battery Boy" Hawkins wrote:
>>> Dennis (RONALD, and All),
>>> Gosh, 1000 amps still sounds a lot like drag racing to me, but I'm
>>> going with 64.55 miles at 80% DOD.
>> Especially at 300+ volts!
>> My 8000lb EV truck cruises along at 60mph using about 140A at 250V.
>>
> The 100AH  10C pack will put out 1000 amps and will hopefully get my 100
> mile range. The 60AH pack 10C will put out 600 amps(enough) but it will not
> give me the range I need to do All my local service calls.
>
> But I understand.................I will not post here anymore

That's an odd reply.
Just curious, what do you need the 1000A for?

Re: S10 Range

Clipper
Hi, Roland,

I have a similar question.

I am in the process of replacing my battery pack

Old pack weight = 1650
New pack weight = 420
Weight savings =  1230 lbs.

Vehicle weight = 5150
w/new pack    = 3920
Weight savings almost 25%

Is there a more or less linear relationship between weight and energy usage,
everything else being the same? (vehicle, driving habits and location, weather, tires, etc.)

In other words, if my current energy usage is 420 Wh per mile, can I anticipate that
with the new batteries, usage will be approx. 25% less, or about 315 Wh per mile?

Thanks....  <quote author="Roland Wiench">
Hello Dennis,

To do a estimate range, just do a proportional formula in relation to each
known constant as:

Knowns:  Existing = 3900 lbs = 360 volts = 26 miles = 50% DOD

         New      = 3400 lbs = 388 volts =  X miles = 80% DOC

Therefore the formula becomes:

        (((((3900 x 26)/3400) x 388) / 360) x 80)/50 = 51.36 miles

Re: S10 Range

KilowattA798
In a message dated 5/19/2011 3:17:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> Subj:Re: [EVDL] S10 Range
> Date:5/19/2011 3:17:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:[hidden email]
> Reply-to:[hidden email]
> To:[hidden email]
> Received from Internet:

> >In a message dated 5/19/2011 2:14:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> >[hidden email] writes:
> >>Subj:Re: [EVDL] S10 Range
> >>Date:5/19/2011 2:14:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time
> >>From:[hidden email]
> >>Reply-to:[hidden email]
> >>To:[hidden email]
> >>Received from Internet:

> >>Especially at 300+ volts!
> >>My 8000lb EV truck cruises along at 60mph using about 140A at 250V.
> >>
> >The 100AH  10C pack will put out 1000 amps and will hopefully get my 100
> >mile range. The 60AH pack 10C will put out 600 amps(enough) but it will
> not
> >give me the range I need to do All my local service calls.
> >
> >But I understand.................I will not post here anymore
>
> That's an odd reply.
> Just curious, what do you need the 1000A for?

I need 920 amps to run 11.99 ETs for bracket racing which is about 2% of
the use of this truck. Again trying to make it a daily driver to do service
calls on welding equipment where at least 40% of the time I use the pack as a
load test instead of burning it off in nicrome load bank. I cannot do all my
calls on a 26 mile range(50%)I need just under 100 miles some of those
days. A 60 AH pack would not give me the range I need and I would be pushing it
for the track.

Re: S10 Range

Peter Gabrielsson
What is your current Wh/mile consumption from the battery?

Your proposed pack is 35kWh, I suspect that may give you 100 miles to
100% discharge if your truck is very efficient and you don't race at
every light :)

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a message dated 5/19/2011 3:17:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>> Subj:Re: [EVDL] S10 Range
>> Date:5/19/2011 3:17:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time
>> From:[hidden email]
>> Reply-to:[hidden email]
>> To:[hidden email]
>> Received from Internet:

>> >The 100AH  10C pack will put out 1000 amps and will hopefully get my 100
>> >mile range. The 60AH pack 10C will put out 600 amps(enough) but it will
>> not
>> >give me the range I need to do All my local service calls.
>> >
>> >But I understand.................I will not post here anymore
>>
>> That's an odd reply.
>> Just curious, what do you need the 1000A for?
>>

> I need 920 amps to run 11.99 ETs for bracket racing which is about 2% of
> the use of this truck. Again trying to make it a daily driver to do service
> calls on welding equipment where at least 40% of the time I use the pack as a
> load test instead of burning it off in nicrome load bank. I cannot do all my
> calls on a 26 mile range(50%)I need just under 100 miles some of those
> days. A 60 AH pack would not give me the range I need and I would be pushing it
> for the track.

www.electric-lemon.com

Re: S10 Range

Mike Willmon
The weight reduction will not change your aero drag at all.  It will only
decrease your rolling resistance slightly.  You biggest savings will be by
not having to accelerate all that mass time and time again.  So the answer
to your question lies between these two extremes which I'll describe.

The first extreme is where you drive more stop and go traffic.  Consider if
you were to accelerate to 40mph, then slow to a stop, and repeated that
indefinitely until you ran out of charge. You could see roughly the 25%
weight reduction as energy saving since you are cutting the mass you have to
accelerate by that much, for every time you accelerate.

But now consider the other extreme where you accelerate once to 40 mph,
sustain the speed continuously until you run out of charge.  The percentage
of time spent accelerating that mass is very small to the percentage of time
spent maintaining speed.  You will only get the savings from accelerating
that (smaller) mass 1 time in likely an hour process.  Because you will only
decrease rolling resistance maybe 1% (but maybe less) then you will only see
a very slight energy savings.  maybe only around that 1% in rolling
resistance.

So the answer to your question is that you will see the energy saving from
the weight reduction that closely tracks the amount of time you spend
accelerating the vehicle.

For a data point for you, my 4080 lb Electrabishi runs around 330WH/Mi on
45mph surface streets with approximately 20 stop lights (I don't catch them
all red though on each drive) on a 15 mile RT commute.

HTH,
Mike

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Clipper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Roland,
>
> I have a similar question.
>
> I am in the process of replacing my battery pack
>
> Old pack weight = 1650
> New pack weight = 420
> Weight savings =  1230 lbs.
>
> Vehicle weight = 5150
> w/new pack    = 3920
> Weight savings almost 25%
>
> Is there a more or less linear relationship between weight and energy
> usage,
> everything else being the same? (vehicle, driving habits and location,
> weather, tires, etc.)
>
> In other words, if my current energy usage is 420 Wh per mile, can I
> anticipate that
> with the new batteries, usage will be approx. 25% less, or about 315 Wh per
> mile?
>
> Thanks....
> Hello Dennis,
>
> To do a estimate range, just do a proportional formula in relation to each
> known constant as:
>
> Knowns:  Existing = 3900 lbs = 360 volts = 26 miles = 50% DOD
>
>         New      = 3400 lbs = 388 volts =  X miles = 80% DOC
>

> Therefore the formula becomes:
>
>        (((((3900 x 26)/3400) x 388) / 360) x 80)/50 = 51.36 miles
>
> Roland

> Nabble.com.

Re: S10 Range

John Lussmyer
On 5/19/2011 3:40 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> In a message dated 5/19/2011 3:17:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>>
>> That's an odd reply.
>> Just curious, what do you need the 1000A for?
>>
> I need 920 amps to run 11.99 ETs for bracket racing which is about 2% of
> the use of this truck. Again trying to make it a daily driver to do service
> calls on welding equipment where at least 40% of the time I use the pack as a
> load test instead of burning it off in nicrome load bank. I cannot do all my
> calls on a 26 mile range(50%)I need just under 100 miles some of those
> days. A 60 AH pack would not give me the range I need and I would be pushing it
> for the track.

Ahh, ok. that makes sense.
It's just that all your other messages were talking daily-driver, I
don't remember seeing any mention of racing.
Yes, you need GOBS of power for racing!

Re: S10 Range

Mike Willmon
To Answer Dennis' question, a 356V nominal pack of 100AH GBS cells would
carry 35.6 KWH of energy storage.  If I were to presume Dennis' S10 truck
had similar aero and similar rolling resistance to my truck and that his
consumption for a small pickup were around the normal average for these
trucks of 350WH/mile I can figure out the expected range.

356V * 100 AH = 35.6 KWH

I will make an assumption that you will only discharge to 80% DOD so the
amount of usable energy would be:
35.6 KWH * 0.8 = 28.48 KWH

And the range would then be:

(28.48 KWH) / (0.35 KWH/Mi) = 81.37 miles

Running the cells down to 90% DOD would give a (32KWH)/(0.35 KWH/Mi) = 91.5
mile range.

Or if you go to 100% DOD then (35.6KWH)/(0.35 KWH/Mi) = 101.7 mile range.

HTH

Mike

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Mike Willmon <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Is there a more or less linear relationship between weight and energy
>> usage,
>> everything else being the same? (vehicle, driving habits and location,
>> weather, tires, etc.)
>>
>> In other words, if my current energy usage is 420 Wh per mile, can I
>> anticipate that
>> with the new batteries, usage will be approx. 25% less, or about 315 Wh
>> per
>> mile?
>>
>> Thanks....
>> Hello Dennis,
>>
>> To do a estimate range, just do a proportional formula in relation to each
>> known constant as:
>>
>> Knowns:  Existing = 3900 lbs = 360 volts = 26 miles = 50% DOD
>>
>>         New      = 3400 lbs = 388 volts =  X miles = 80% DOC
>>

>> Therefore the formula becomes:
>>
>>        (((((3900 x 26)/3400) x 388) / 360) x 80)/50 = 51.36 miles

Re: S10 Range

Mark Grasser

mile range. The 60AH pack 10C will put out 600 amps(enough) but it will not
give me the range I need to do All my local service calls.

But I understand.................I will not post here anymore

Dennis Berube<<<<

So I am curious, is Dennis saying he will no longer post as a joke or did
you "clowns" embarrassed him into this. Please help me here as I see no one
saying they are sorry, retracting statement, just moving on as if it never
happened. I hope I am wrong, if not it would probably be a good thing that
the rapture does start Saturday.

Sincerely,
Mark Grasser

Re: S10 Range

Clipper
Hi, Mike,

Makes sense. I forgot about good old-fashioned physics (30 years ago.)
F=MA.
Doh!

Thanks,
Clipper

<quote author="Mike Willmon">
The weight reduction will not change your aero drag at all.  It will only
decrease your rolling resistance slightly.  You biggest savings will be by
not having to accelerate all that mass time and time again.
<snip>
So the answer to your question is that you will see the energy saving from
the weight reduction that closely tracks the amount of time you spend
accelerating the vehicle.

For a data point for you, my 4080 lb Electrabishi runs around 330WH/Mi on
45mph surface streets with approximately 20 stop lights (I don't catch them
all red though on each drive) on a 15 mile RT commute.

HTH,
Mike

Re: S10 Range

Lets look at the actual results for the following:

At one time my EV weigh 7850 lbs using 90 each 300 ah Tudor lead cells that
just over 2700 lbs with a total pack voltage of 198v or 59.4kwr. Using a
final gear ratio of 5.57:1 the top speed was about 90 mph at 6000 rpm.

Tires where a very smooth 6 inch wide rated at 2000 lbs at 40 psi 8 ply face
and a 4 ply wall.  The maximum tire deflection was about 0.385 inch.

At 50 mph the battery ampere was at 90 amps at 172 volts or 15.824 kwr.
Maximum distance I ever went was 78 miles at where the EV could not go over
35 mph and slower on grades.  The EV use about 25 kwr or about 50+ SOC.

Latter I change the batteries to 36 each Exide 6V X batteries that was a 235
AH battery at 216 volts or 50.76 kwr. The EV weight was at now 7740 lbs or a
reduction of 110 lbs.

Now with the weight reduction of 110 lbs and battery ampere-hour reduction
of 65 AH, my range has reduce to 60 miles.

Replace the 36 ea Exide 6V X with 30 ea Trojans T-145', the heavy 1/4 inch
thick aluminum battery boxes with epoxy glass, and the flywheel, pressure
plate, clutch and cast iron transmission with a lite weight GM TH-400
modified transmission reduce the weight to 6620 lbs.

This is now a reduction of weight of 7740-6620 = 1120 lbs with a range
increase of about 10 miles at 50 mph.

There the real world range increase about 10 miles per 1100 lbs in my case.