Seeking Alpha anti-EV article rebuttal redux

Seeking Alpha anti-EV article rebuttal redux

Nathan Abbott
Ken & Neil - mega-educational replies. Thank you.  Ken - best of luck with the e-car co.

A flaw in my initial, hypothetical argument of centralizing oil-2-energy production in order to provide electricity for EV travel @ 95% thermal efficiency vs. 300 million or so mobile power plants (in varying states of disrepair), converting O-2-E @ 25% efficiency, is this:

There would still be an ICE step in the process.

Otherwise, how would you convert gas to amps?  Granted, central power production might make solving the efficiency problem less of a challenge than streamlining energy production for 300 million little ICE power plants, but...?

I'm no engineer, but steam is the future:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/1925-doble-series-e-steam-car/213453/

Cheers,
Nathan Abbott

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/11/the-short-strange-trip-of-nathan-abbott-a-cautionary-tale

Sent from my iPad

Re: Seeking Alpha anti-EV article rebuttal redux

NeilBlanchard
Hello,

> Ken & Neil - mega-educational replies. Thank you.  Ken - best of luck with the e-car co.
>
> A flaw in my initial, hypothetical argument of centralizing oil-2-energy production in order to provide electricity for EV travel @ 95% thermal efficiency vs. 300 million or so mobile power plants (in varying states of disrepair), converting O-2-E @ 25% efficiency, is this:
>
> There would still be an ICE step in the process.
>
> Otherwise, how would you convert gas to amps?  Granted, central power production might make solving the efficiency problem less of a challenge than streamlining energy production for 300 million little ICE power plants, but...?
>
> I'm no engineer, but steam is the future:
> http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/1925-doble-series-e-steam-car/213453/

The thing about electricity is that it *can* be made in many ways that are renewable -- and that are decentralized and local.  A renewable source nearby is virtually carbon free; and as time goes on when we make the next generation of renewable energy system *with* renewable power from the first generation -- then it will have a minuscule carbon footprint.

By the way, I have a efficient electric car design, called CarBEN EV that is open source -- it seats 5 people (3 of them can be 6'-4"+) and it can fit up to a 54kWh lithium pack in the floor.  If it is as aerodynamic as I think it is, it may well get below 125Wh/mile, for a very nice range up to~ 400 miles:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/2010/09/carben-ev-open-source-project-part-3.html

If you want me to email you the SkethUp 3D computer model and / or the CAD drawings, I'd be happy to!  I'm hoping to start a 1/5th scale model later this week with craft plywood, wire, and fiberglass.

Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Re: Seeking Alpha anti-EV article rebuttal redux

Ken Fry
I thought I had already posted this a while back, but...

For anyone working on a body-from-scratch project, (like yours Neil) please feel free to contact me about using the stitch-and-glue process (which is more commonly used to build boats, another of my passions).  My boatbuilding site is www.hoochboats.com.  (It sounds like that's the process you have in mind, Neil.)

I offer a boatbuilding class in which we build the Bon Temps (a modified Pirogue) and the finished boat is about half the weight of a production kayak (25 lb. vs over 50 lb.).  I recently finished a custom-designed  12' kayoo (half way between a kayak and canoe) which came out at 19.9 lb.  The  structure was slightly more sophisticated that the pirogue structure.  Wood is a great material for stong, light, structures -- you need to get pretty sohisticated in the composites hierarchy before you can beat it -- and it is pleasent to work with.

The Hispana Suiza Tulipwood car made an impression on me when I was a kid.
http://www.thoroughbred-cars.com/cars/spain/hissi/1924%20Tulipwood%20Torpedo.htm

Cheers, Ken

>> By the way, I have a efficient electric car design, called CarBEN EV that is open source -- it seats 5 people (3 of them can be 6'-4"+) and it can fit up to a 54kWh lithium pack in the floor.  If it is as aerodynamic as I think it is, it may well get below 125Wh/mile, for a very nice range up to~ 400 miles: <<

Think Big.
Drive Small.