Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

brucedp5
In California a low speed conversion must weigh under 3000lbs to qualify
to be registered as an nEV (see below).

I would like to know which donor vehicle brands/models will make a less
than 3000 lb conversion.
2002 Ford Festiva?
http://wikicars.org/en/Ford_Festiva

Are there other light curb weight 4dr sedans to consider?

-
[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVs-16-can-drive-nEV-speed-conversions-lower-speed-lower-co-t-td4660757.html
]
In California the DMV nEV regs are:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc385_5.htm

V C Section 385.5 Low Speed Vehicle
Low Speed Vehicle

385.5.  (a) A “low-speed vehicle” is a motor vehicle that meets all of
the following requirements:
(1) Has four wheels.
(2) Can attain a speed, in one mile, of more than 20 miles per hour and
not more than 25 miles per hour, on a paved level surface.

(3) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 3,000 pounds.
(b) (1) For the purposes of this section, a “low-speed vehicle” is not a
golf cart, except when operated pursuant to Section 21115 or 21115.1.

(2) A “low-speed vehicle” is also known as a “neighborhood electric
vehicle.”
-

{brucedp.150m.com}

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                          unladen european swallow

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

David Ladd
My 1995 Saturn SL2 weighs just under 2800 pounds with 150v of 130ah lithium in it.  But the quoted requirements below state a GVWR of under 3000, which is a different thing.  And a hard one to determine, since not many cars have that published, as far as I know.  Trucks yes, but not cars.

david.
http://www.evalbum.com/4021

> In California a low speed conversion must weigh under 3000lbs to qualify
> to be registered as an nEV (see below).
>
> I would like to know which donor vehicle brands/models will make a less
> than 3000 lb conversion.
> 2002 Ford Festiva?
> http://wikicars.org/en/Ford_Festiva
>
> Are there other light curb weight 4dr sedans to consider?
>
> -
> [ref
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVs-16-can-drive-nEV-speed-conversions-lower-speed-lower-co-t-td4660757.html
> ]
> In California the DMV nEV regs are:
> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc385_5.htm
>
> V C Section 385.5 Low Speed Vehicle
> Low Speed Vehicle
>
> 385.5.  (a) A “low-speed vehicle” is a motor vehicle that meets all of
> the following requirements:
> (1) Has four wheels.
> (2) Can attain a speed, in one mile, of more than 20 miles per hour and
> not more than 25 miles per hour, on a paved level surface.
>
> (3) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 3,000 pounds.
> (b) (1) For the purposes of this section, a “low-speed vehicle” is not a
> golf cart, except when operated pursuant to Section 21115 or 21115.1.
>
> (2) A “low-speed vehicle” is also known as a “neighborhood electric
> vehicle.”
> -
>
> {brucedp.150m.com}

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

corbin dunn
Did you also limit the speed to 25mph?

corbin

On Jan 22, 2013, at 2:09 PM, David Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My 1995 Saturn SL2 weighs just under 2800 pounds with 150v of 130ah lithium in it.  But the quoted requirements below state a GVWR of under 3000, which is a different thing.  And a hard one to determine, since not many cars have that published, as far as I know.  Trucks yes, but not cars.
>
> david.
> http://www.evalbum.com/4021

Peter C.
Try looking into a 1959 or 1960 Studebaker Lark six cyl. 4 dr. sedan.  I seem to recall quite a few of them populating the junk yards of many of the south western US states.  I believe their GVW was around 2,300 lbs.  The V8 versions came in at 2,910.  Removing the 800 lbs. of Studebaker V8 engine and 150 lbs. of transmission would make an interesting donor as well!?

Peter Crisitello

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Cruisin
You may want to consider the easiest to convert of all, a classic VW that will increase in value over time.

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Peter C.
These are the standards for an NEV!?   Even a 1975 (SV-36) CitiCar at 1,400 lbs. with six batteries gets up to 29 MPH with its 3.5 HP motor.  The later SV-48's will go up to 35 MPH at around 1,700 lbs.  If I recall correctly, the 1994 Tropica weighs in at around 2,900 lbs. with its 72 V DC setup and cruse at around 55 MPH.  So none of the cars I deal with would qualify as an NEV anyway.

Peter Crisitello

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Jeff McCabe
Bruce,
 My 92 8Porsche is 2,800lbs with a 25kw pack :)
 Thats my choice.

Jeff

> I would like to know which donor vehicle brands/models will
> make a less
> than 3000 lb conversion.
> 2002 Ford Festiva?
> http://wikicars.org/en/Ford_Festiva
>
> Are there other light curb weight 4dr sedans to consider?
>
> -
> [ref
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVs-16-can-drive-nEV-speed-conversions-lower-speed-lower-co-t-td4660757.html
> ]
> In California the DMV nEV regs are:
> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc385_5.htm
>
> V C Section 385.5 Low Speed Vehicle
> Low Speed Vehicle
>
> 385.5.  (a) A “low-speed vehicle” is a motor
> vehicle that meets all of
> the following requirements:
> (1) Has four wheels.
> (2) Can attain a speed, in one mile, of more than 20 miles
> per hour and
> not more than 25 miles per hour, on a paved level surface.
>
> (3) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 3,000
> pounds.
> (b) (1) For the purposes of this section, a “low-speed
> vehicle” is not a
> golf cart, except when operated pursuant to Section 21115 or
> 21115.1.
>
> (2) A “low-speed vehicle” is also known as a
> “neighborhood electric
> vehicle.”
> -
>
> {brucedp.150m.com}
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed
> velocity of an
>
>           unladen european swallow

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Sean Korb
I really dig the Lark, and at low speed, you probably have enough
brakes.  Hard to get parts for though.  Maybe set the body on top of
an S-10 frame?

Or you could do an '80s Ranger, S-10 conversion or even (parts getting
a little scarcer but even lighter) a B2000 or Datsun truck.  Maybe an
old Chevy Luv.

Personally I have a fondness for '80s Japanese 3 doors or 5 door
wagons.  Very lightweight and good brakes and they come up for sale
regularly on Craigslist. Honda Civic wagon or Toyota Corolla wagon are
good choices.  I'm going to stick with my Nash Metropolitan though.

sean

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Peter Crisitello
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try looking into a 1959 or 1960 Studebaker Lark six cyl. 4 dr. sedan.  I seem to recall quite a few of them populating the junk yards of many of the south western US states.  I believe their GVW was around 2,300 lbs.  The V8 versions came in at 2,910.  Removing the 800 lbs. of Studebaker V8 engine and 150 lbs. of transmission would make an interesting donor as well!?
>

> Peter Crisitello

Sean Korb [hidden email] http://www.spkorb.org
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Roger Stockton
Peter Crisitello wrote:

> These are the standards for an NEV!?   Even a 1975 (SV-36) CitiCar at
> 1,400 lbs. with six batteries gets up to 29 MPH with its 3.5 HP motor.
> The later SV-48's will go up to 35 MPH at around 1,700 lbs.  If I recall
> correctly, the 1994 Tropica weighs in at around 2,900 lbs. with its 72 V
> DC setup and cruse at around 55 MPH.  So none of the cars I deal with
> would qualify as an NEV anyway.

The subject line is misleading.  It is the *gross* vehicle weight rating that must be under 3000lbs for an LSV/NEV, not the curb weight. Eg.:

<http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/title/nev.htm>

The Citicar curb weight (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicar>) is low enough that its GVWR would probably fall within the LSV/NEV allowance, but its top speed exceeds that allowed.

Remember that "LSV" stands for "limited speed vehicle", and is a class specifically created to allow 4-wheeled vehicles on the road without needing all of the safety features and testing usually required.  The lowered safety requirements are allowed only because the operating speed of the vehicles is limited to a low level, and they are not permitted to operate on roads where other vehicles can legally travel at significantly higher speed.

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

David Ladd
No, but If the weather gets cold enough, it feels like it!  I was just using my car as a data point showing that pretty much any older econo-sedan will be sub 3k pounds.  And that it's not the weight that matters, it's the weight rating.  The GVWR.  I have no idea what that is for my car...

david.
http://www.evalbum.com/4021

> On Jan 22, 2013, at 2:09 PM, David Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  My 1995 Saturn SL2 weighs just under 2800 pounds with 150v of 130ah lithium
> in it.  But the quoted requirements below state a GVWR of under 3000, which is a
> different thing.  And a hard one to determine, since not many cars have that
> published, as far as I know.  Trucks yes, but not cars.
>>
>>  david.
>>  http://www.evalbum.com/4021

scott@swilkinson.com
I have a chart on my website with a list of more than 40 vehicles that
are all under 3000lbs.  You can also export all the data to a
spreadsheet.

http://www.evaddicts.com/Resources/SelectingaVehicle.aspx

Hope this helps.

Scott

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

EVDL Administrator
On 22 Jan 2013 at 21:23, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have a chart on my website with a list of more than 40 vehicles that are
> all under 3000lbs.

That's valuable information, but regrettably not applicable to this
situation.  The OP asked which vehicles have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
of under 3000lb.  The GVWR is total weight when laden to capacity.  That's
quite different from (and always higher than) curb weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Sean Korb
There is a Micocar auction just after Valentimnes day in Monroe GA.
To get under 3000lbs you really have to go small like a Berkley or
Isetta.  A Messersmit might be nice.  An electric motor would wake one
of these right up!

Everything must go!  Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!  Also Saturday and
Friday, but not actualy Sunday.  I don't know what made me say that.

http://microcarmuseum.com/

sean

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:10 AM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2013 at 21:23, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I have a chart on my website with a list of more than 40 vehicles that are
>> all under 3000lbs.
>
> That's valuable information, but regrettably not applicable to this
> situation.  The OP asked which vehicles have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
> of under 3000lb.  The GVWR is total weight when laden to capacity.  That's
> quite different from (and always higher than) curb weight.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating
>
> David Roden
> EVDL Administrator
> http://www.evdl.org/

Sean Korb [hidden email] http://www.spkorb.org
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Peter C.
Another reason why I mentioned the Studebaker Lark!  I know for a fact that
Studebaker did export a number of what were referred to as CKD 1/4 ton PU to
South America.  These were the Lark style Champ PU cabs mounted on a
standard Station Wagon chassis (their heaviest x frame car chassis).  As for
parts, their are more Studebaker NOS and new (yes new) parts available than
any other "antique" automobile; you just have to know where to look.
Studebaker International is just one of the many vendors that deal with
these parts.  besides, I have always been a proponent of the fact that you
have to take off as much weight from a donor vehicle as you will be
replacing with the EV propulsion unit.  Even though the Lark was considered
a light weight vehicle for its time, there are numerous modern ways to
lighten it even more.

My reasoning behind this is the fact that the 2,700 lb. ICE S-10 I have was
converted to a 4,600 lb. EV and had to be appropriately upgraded to handle
the extra weight adding even more weight.  Of course this is just the
opinion of a Jersey guy stuck in the past with his Studebakers and
CitiCars!?

Peter Crisitello

> On 22 Jan 2013 at 21:23, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I have a chart on my website with a list of more than 40 vehicles that
>> are
>> all under 3000lbs.
>
> That's valuable information, but regrettably not applicable to this
> situation.  The OP asked which vehicles have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
> of under 3000lb.  The GVWR is total weight when laden to capacity.  That's
> quite different from (and always higher than) curb weight.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating
>
> David Roden
> EVDL Administrator
> http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

EVDL Administrator
The irony here is that the light weight and low speed are meant to minimize
the personal hazard of operating a light vehicle with little or no crash
protection.

Even with a conversion, these same requirements may force you into an old
car, so that you have to forgo modern safety design such as energy absorbing
controlled-crush front and rear, air bags, and the like.  You might even end
up using something so old that it has no collapsable steering column and no
seat belts.  I'm sure that's not what the lawmakers had in mind, but such
things happen sometimes on the outer edges of well-intentioned laws.

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

FWIW (which isn't much), the laden weight (GVWR) of a European-spec 1963-65
Opel Kadett A Coupe was only 1005kg (~2200lb).  I doubt that the more common
later Kadett B was much higher.

I don't have the numbers for the US-spec models, alas.

Administrator wrote:
> The irony here is that the light weight and low speed are meant to minimize
> the personal hazard of operating a light vehicle with little or no crash
> protection.

That works if the vehicles wind up being driven only on low-speed urban
streets, and never get hit by normal "heavy" vehicles at high speeds.
However, these NEVs are usually driven on the same roads as 2-ton cars
and many-ton trucks. Accidents are inevitable.

I think Amory Lovin's "hypercar" concept is a better idea. Design the
car to be lighter in the first place, yet *keep* all the safety devices
and crash protection. It's obviously possible. Solectria's Sunrise had
seat belts, air bags, impact protection, and passed DOT crash testsas a
normal high speed automobile. Yet it weighed *half* as much as a normal
car of the same size.

We're trying to make it a kit car, but it's slow going!
See http://www.sunrise-ev.com/

--
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work. Rather, teach them to long

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

brucedp5
The auction link is interesting if you look at the catalog
http://www.rmauctions.com/digitalcatalogs/2013/BW13/
The first part has toys, but further in, I found a couple of newer
models that I think may have easier support:

Page Year Description
204 1970 Honda N600
242 1965 VW Ghia
344 1970 Subaru 360 Sambar Pickup

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Send your email first class

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Peter C.
David:

I'm sorry, but everything you just stated as a negative are the main reasons
I still drive my Studebakers.

Peter Crisitello

The irony here is that the light weight and low speed are meant to minimize
the personal hazard of operating a light vehicle with little or no crash
protection.

Even with a conversion, these same requirements may force you into an old
car, so that you have to forgo modern safety design such as energy absorbing
controlled-crush front and rear, air bags, and the like.  You might even end
up using something so old that it has no collapsable steering column and no
seat belts.  I'm sure that's not what the lawmakers had in mind, but such
things happen sometimes on the outer edges of well-intentioned laws.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = EVDL Information:
http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To
http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Re: Seeking donor models for an under 3000lb conversion

Sean Korb
I really think I should sell my old Mustang fastback and get a 1953
Starlight Coupe.  And stuff a 9" motor in there :)

Keep the shiny side up!
sean