Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger manual/ parallel charging

Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger manual/ parallel charging

Hello EVDL group!
I purchased a couple Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger 622/42202 850W 17A chargers
last year on ebay at a great price, for about $50 US each.  They work
great, they aren't fan cooled but have large heat sinks that one can put a
fan on to keep them cool.   I can't seem to find any manuals on them
anymore- I remember finding something from Sevcon last year but that has
all but disappeared from their site.  Anyone happen to have a manual for
these?  I was also wondering if I could parallel the two of them on the
same pack - effectively get 34 amps of charge.  From what I read it could
work or they could quickly go up in smoke, really don't want the latter :-)
 My pack is 4 x 12v 170 lead amp/hr batteries so they can take a steep
charge.  My snowpig has been running great, so good that demand has
increased from helping others out with clearing their driveways that now
exceeds my pack capacity.  I even resorted to swapping the 600lb pack a
couple weeks ago so I could do more clearing, couldn't wait 8 hours to get
back out!

Cheers
Dan

http://www.evalbum.com/4544

Re: Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger manual/ parallel charging

Dan Baker via EV wrote:

> Hello EVDL group!
> I purchased a couple Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger 622/42202 850W 17A chargers
> last year on ebay at a great price, for about $50 US each.  They work
> great, they aren't fan cooled but have large heat sinks that one can put a
> fan on to keep them cool.   I can't seem to find any manuals on them
> anymore- I remember finding something from Sevcon last year but that has
> all but disappeared from their site.  Anyone happen to have a manual for
> these?  I was also wondering if I could parallel the two of them on the
> same pack - effectively get 34 amps of charge.  From what I read it could
> work or they could quickly go up in smoke, really don't want the latter :-)
>   My pack is 4 x 12v 170 lead amp/hr batteries so they can take a steep
> charge.  My snowpig has been running great, so good that demand has
> increased from helping others out with clearing their driveways that now
> exceeds my pack capacity.  I even resorted to swapping the 600lb pack a
> couple weeks ago so I could do more clearing, couldn't wait 8 hours to get
> back out!

Sevcon makes good stuff. I doubt that you can hurt a well-designed
charger by using two at once on the same battery.

But, it might hurt the batteries. Chargers have some mechanism for
detecting when the battery is full, so they can cut back the charge rate
or turn off. With two chargers, you may get twice the finishing current;
so it might tend to overcharge.

Or, it might be that as soon as one charger sees "full", it turns off.
That in turn triggers the other one to turn off. So they might wind up
under-charging.

My advice would be to just try it. Watch what happens to the battery
voltage and current. If you are happy with what they do to your
batteries, go for it! :-)

--
Teaching children to program goes against the grain of modern education.
Just imagine the chaos if they learned to think logically, plan, create,

Re: Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger manual/ parallel charging

Thanks Lee!  I will give it a try.  I have a digital voltmeter on my gauge
pack so I can monitor.

Cheers
Dan

Cruisin
If the chargers are not isolated you will destroy everything when conned in parallel.

Cruisin via EV wrote:
> If the chargers are not isolated you will destroy everything when conned in
> parallel.

Good point! Some chargers aren't isolated.

But Sevcon chargers are all isolated.

--
Teaching children to program goes against the grain of modern education.
Just imagine the chaos if they learned to think logically, plan, create,
implement, test, and execute!

Re: Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger manual/ parallel charging

Hey Lee

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Lee Hart via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cruisin via EV wrote:
>
>> If the chargers are not isolated you will destroy everything when conned
>> in
>> parallel.
>>

> Good point! Some chargers aren't isolated.
>
> But Sevcon chargers are all isolated.
>
> --
> Teaching children to program goes against the grain of modern education.
> Just imagine the chaos if they learned to think logically, plan, create,
> implement, test, and execute!
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com
> /NEDRA)

Re: Sevcon 48V DC Battery Charger manual/ parallel charging

Hey Lee,
You were definitely right, I hooked the 2 chargers up-no explosions or
smoke, just 34 amps of charge!  Definitely has been handy the last couple
storms where I have gone out 4-5 times per storm to continue clearing.  One
sevcon will change the status LED from red to yellow before the other so
I'm assuming that's the second stage beginning.  I usually pull the cord to
one then and let the other finish up if I have time.
Much thanks for your help!

Cheers
Dan