Solar Car

What do folks think of this article?

https://www.goodnet.org/articles/dutch-company-unveils-worlds-first-longrange-solar-car?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Goodnet+%7C+Gateway+to+Doing+Good&fbclid=IwAR2sUWJGJkx4cAsg-S_JM_3k_sXafATuwra7Msux5wh32xrF7uqvuoymXy8

Solar cars are not a new concept; they've actually been around for a while. The reason that they have not taken off has been due to their limited driving range. But a new day has dawned for solar cars.

The Lightyear One, a prototype of a new type of solar car, was unveiled at the break of dawn on June 25, 2019, to a very select group of investors, partners, customers, and the press at the Theater Hangaar in Katwijk in the Netherlands. Why was it presented at sunrise? The answer is that this new prototype will get the most out of every ray of sunlight.

“This moment represents a new era of driving,” said Lex Hoefsloot, CEO and co-founder of Lightyear, in a company press release. “Two years of dreaming, thinking and working hard have led to this milestone, which is a giant leap towards achieving our mission of making clean mobility available to everyone.”

Lightyear was founded in 2016 by alumni from Solar Team Eindhoven, a group of engineering students whose prototype car won the Bridgestone Solar Challenge in the Cruiser Calls for three consecutive years - so the team has a lot of experience working with solar vehicles. The wins came with enough accolades, grants, and investors that they were able to finish their prototype in a record two-years' time.

The prototype was engineered from a radically different perspective. “We all have a performance background and with that we focus relentlessly on to optimize efficiency and safety,” Hoefsloot said.

The Lightyear One, a 4-passenger luxury car, is equipped with a battery that is two-thirds of the size of the Tesla S, but will get a whopping 725 kilometers (450 miles) of range.

Hoefsloot said, “The main goal of the car is to fill in where electric cars fall short. Research has shown that range and the lack of charging options are still the top concerns that people have when considering electric cars.”

The car's battery can charge itself directly from the sun because its energy consumption is so low. This battery is so efficient that it can charge electrically much quicker too. The company said that you could charge up to 400 km per night from an ordinary 230V socket.

The car has other great benefits that include being constructed from high tech materials that make it very lightweight while maintaining stringent passenger safety, four independently driven wheels, plus the glass on the solar cells on the roof and hood are so strong that it can be walked on without causing any dents.

The company has already sold 100 units of the prototype that will be manufactured in its Helmond facility and delivered in 2021. Cars can be ordered from the Lightyear website for a reservation fee of €119,000.

The company said that the next models that will be developed would have a lot less sticker shock. Future models will also include autonomous and shared fleet cars.

During the presentation of the prototype at the unveiling, Hoefsloot said that “climate change is one of the biggest problems that we humans have faced in our history. It is such a frightening development that it is almost paralyzing. We decided to do the opposite; as engineers, we believed we could do something. Lightyear One represents a huge opportunity to change mobility for the better.”

When the price comes down and combined with the energy savings compared to a combustion car, solar cars could become the new standard and fossil fueled cars only a memory.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Solar Car

Good luck with that.

On 8/13/2019 10:42 PM, Mark Laity-Snyder via EV wrote:
> What do folks think of this article?
>
> https://www.goodnet.org/articles/dutch-company-unveils-worlds-first-longrange-solar-car?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Goodnet+%7C+Gateway+to+Doing+Good&fbclid=IwAR2sUWJGJkx4cAsg-S_JM_3k_sXafATuwra7Msux5wh32xrF7uqvuoymXy8
>
> Solar cars are not a new concept; they've actually been around for a while. The reason that they have not taken off has been due to their limited driving range. But a new day has dawned for solar cars.
>
> The Lightyear One, a prototype of a new type of solar car, was unveiled at the break of dawn on June 25, 2019, to a very select group of investors, partners, customers, and the press at the Theater Hangaar in Katwijk in the Netherlands. Why was it presented at sunrise? The answer is that this new prototype will get the most out of every ray of sunlight.

trolling4$ (lightyear1): Solar Car

Re: Solar car

 The Lightyear is a good first attempt. However it is too heavy for the solar panel and too expensive. The sub 1000 pound weight of the Stella solar cars is what made them viable. Who needs air bags when you have 5 point seat belts. Lawrence Rhodes

Re: Solar car

Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:
>   The Lightyear is a good first attempt. However it is too heavy for the solar panel and too expensive. The sub 1000 pound weight of the Stella solar cars is what made them viable. Who needs air bags when you have 5 point seat belts. Lawrence Rhodes

Alas, air bags are required in the USA.

I remember when I built my first EV in Michigan. To license and register
it, it had to pass inspection. The inspection required (among other
things) an "exhaust system". Never mind that it didn't need one; I had
to install an exhaust pipe to pass the inspection.

On an expensive car, Americans are also going to insist on air
conditioning, high-end stereo, NAV system, power windows and seats, etc.
All these luxuries add cost and weight and consume power.

If you can't ban someing outright, then legislate it to death.

--
Whether we or our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all
our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory,

Re: Solar car

On 14 Aug 2019 at 13:14, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> Who needs air bags when you have 5 point seat belts.

Anybody who wants to sell cars in the US.

A racing harness is probably safer than airbags, but NHTSA requires passive
restraints.

AFAIK they're not yet required in the EU, but most or all of the automakers
install them anyway.  A vehicle without them would probably be at a
competitive disadvantage in the marketplace.

On 14 Aug 2019 at 11:17, Lee Hart via EV wrote:

> On an expensive car, Americans are also going to insist on air
> conditioning, high-end stereo, NAV system, power windows and seats, etc.
> All these luxuries add cost and weight and consume power.

Regrettably, this is also becoming the norm in Europe.  Some of us may
prefer leaner vehicles, but regrettably we seem to be in the minority.

> If you can't ban someing outright, then legislate it to death.

I don't think that that was ever the intention of safety legislation, though
some modern EV opponents may try to use it that way.

I for one am glad that safety legislation passed.  You can see what a
difference it made, not just by looking at the outcome of collisions 40-60
years ago in the US, but also by considering what happens in some other
nations where auto safety requirements are weak or nonexistent.  Automakers
still sell some of their fully amortized 20+ year old designs in low-income
countries, and compared to modern vehicles, they're deathtraps in
collisions.

https://autoweek.com/article/wait-theres-more/nissan-versa-vs-tsuru-crash-
test-most-horrifying-thing-we-saw-halloween

https://v.gd/dgtRcJ

If we really want to put people into EVs, we're going to have to offer them
vehicles at least as safe as any ICEV on the market.  This is especially
true in the fear-driven US market.  No point in lamenting this situation;
it's the real world, and we as EV proponents have to live and work in it.