Solar electric RV

Seems to me if people are willing to spend $150k to to 250k for an RV with a diesel engine there aught to be wiggle room to do a conversion good for decent range. I suppose Otmar or John Wayland could cobble something together. I suppose I could do it myself but I'm getting lazy in my old age. With battery prices coming down and some electric buses available used it won't be long before somebody puts something together. I have an inquiry into EV West. It seems VW van's have already been done. A three piece solar panel aught to give you 10kw. More than enough to charge a 200kw battery in a day or two. This is not a light conversion. Just make it work dependably. 28 foot or so.  It wouldn't get there fast but isn't the point of RV recreation? Low maintenance no fuel costs. Seems like the perfect retirement home.  Lawrence Rhodes

Re: Solar electric RV

We are presently converting almost any Ram ProMaster to fully electric
using Tesla powertrains, that includes camper vans.  Though I don't think
the CCS network is fully fleshed out enough yet to really enjoy the open
road in all-electric vans yet, it's do-able.  (We offer 200kW CCS
capability as an option)
(Picture link: http://ingineerix.com/pic/?maxwell-epros-in-progress )
The van on the far right is a PleasureWay Tofino pop-top.

https://maxwellvehicles.com/

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:20 AM Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Seems to me if people are willing to spend $150k to to 250k for an RV with
> a diesel engine there aught to be wiggle room to do a conversion good for
> decent range. I suppose Otmar or John Wayland could cobble something
> together. I suppose I could do it myself but I'm getting lazy in my old
> age. With battery prices coming down and some electric buses available used
> it won't be long before somebody puts something together. I have an inquiry
> into EV West. It seems VW van's have already been done. A three piece solar
> panel aught to give you 10kw. More than enough to charge a 200kw battery in
> a day or two. This is not a light conversion. Just make it work dependably.
> 28 foot or so.  It wouldn't get there fast but isn't the point of RV
> recreation? Low maintenance no fuel costs. Seems like the perfect
> retirement home.  Lawrence Rhodes

Re: Solar electric RV

Are you re-using the Tesla computers and software or replacing them?

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key

March 21, 2021 4:44 PM, "(-Phil-) via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are presently converting almost any Ram ProMaster to fully electric
> using Tesla powertrains, that includes camper vans. Though I don't think
> the CCS network is fully fleshed out enough yet to really enjoy the open
> road in all-electric vans yet, it's do-able. (We offer 200kW CCS
> capability as an option)
> (Picture link: http://ingineerix.com/pic/?maxwell-epros-in-progress )
> The van on the far right is a PleasureWay Tofino pop-top.
>
> https://maxwellvehicles.com
>
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:20 AM Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Seems to me if people are willing to spend $150k to to 250k for an RV with
>> a diesel engine there aught to be wiggle room to do a conversion good for
>> decent range. I suppose Otmar or John Wayland could cobble something
>> together. I suppose I could do it myself but I'm getting lazy in my old
>> age. With battery prices coming down and some electric buses available used
>> it won't be long before somebody puts something together. I have an inquiry
>> into EV West. It seems VW van's have already been done. A three piece solar
>> panel aught to give you 10kw. More than enough to charge a 200kw battery in
>> a day or two. This is not a light conversion. Just make it work dependably.
>> 28 foot or so. It wouldn't get there fast but isn't the point of RV
>> recreation? Low maintenance no fuel costs. Seems like the perfect
>> retirement home. Lawrence Rhodes

Re: Solar electric RV

No, we do not keep the Tesla computer to run the car, we have developed our
own bespoke controller we call the "CANslator".  It acts like a translator
that talks on multiple CAN buses and speaks Tesla on one side, and Ram
ProMaster on the other.  This replaces the ECM (Engine Computer) in the
ProMaster and the rest of the van "thinks" it's still got an engine, so
everything works right, and on the Tesla side, the Drive unit and Battery
think the rest of the Tesla is still there, so they operate normally.  This
took over 2 years to develop and make reliable and solid.