Solar trailer calculation

Re: Solar trailer calculation

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]>
Date: Dec 31, 2017 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: EV Digest, Vol 62, Issue 39
To: [hidden email]

Sean Korb via EV wrote:
> You can see this coming to fruition in 11 or 12 decades...
"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future." --
(a Yogi Berra-ism)

New Years is a time for reflection, and considerations about the future.
Personally, I think the future will be just like the past, with only a
few superficial changes. The present is incredibly obstinate and
persistent. The old man that caricatures the old year *does not die*.
Instead, he just keeps going. He tells the new year's kid, "Shut up;
you're too young, too inexperienced; you don't know what you're doing.
The new year will still be run by me, just like it always has."

As a rule, things don't change until there is overwhelming pressure to
force a change. For example, we had EVs 100 years ago; and we have them
today. In both cases, they represent a tiny minority of the vehicles on
the road.

But there are tipping points. Once in a while, we have an opportunity to
look out ahead of the Titanic, see the iceberg, and actually change
course *before* the disaster. It may be too late to completely avoid it;
the ship may still hit; but perhaps won't be as badly damaged, and more
people can be saved.

I don't think the EV movement has yet reached its tipping point. We're
shouting; but people aren't listening. Too many people still buy cars
based on style, and won't even consider an EV for their next purchase.
EVs are still attacked not on their technical merits (they work), but on
their social and esthetics (they're ugly, they're expensive, they can't
refuel easily enough, they're not like my present car...) The auto and
oil industries could still pull out, just like they did in 2000... and
they *will* do so if it means more short-term profit.

What will the future hold in 100 years? I haven't a clue! I can't even
guess what will happen in 2018. But I am afraid it will look a lot like
it did 100 years ago, but overlaid with many superficial technological
changes. We'll hit more icebergs, more Titanics will sink, but our
erstwhile leaders will keep right on plowing ahead on the same old
course, heedless of the looming disasters and opportunities being missed.
--
Whether we or our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our
deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a

On 31 Dec 2017 at 13:45, Lee Hart via EV wrote:

> What will the future hold in 100 years? ... I am afraid it will look a lot like
> it did 100 years ago, but overlaid with many superficial technological
> changes.

You paint a fairly pessimistic view.  Cynic that I am, I don't much
disagree.

One trend MAY affect EVs positively, though.

We here in the US sometimes think that we're the only ones who matter to the
world's automakers.  That might have almost been true 40 or 50 years ago.
But today the fastest growing region for auto sales is Asia, especially
China.  China REALLY needs to clean up its air, and it looks as if EVs are
going to be a substantial part of their solution.

They're not alone.  France and the UK plan to do away with ICEV sales by
2040.  Germany and Netherlands want them gone from showrooms by 2030, and
Germany is pushing for this to be an EU-wide policy.  Norway's aiming for
2025, though they want to do it with incentives rather than an outright ban.
The smallest of the Canary Islands, El Hierro, is already making 100% of its
electricity from wind, and wants all their vehicles to be electric by 2020.

Now, I grant you, a lot of things can change in 2 years, or 12, or 22.
Politics is unstable and unsettled everywhere these days.  That includes
much of the EU.  China is also infamous for lax enforcement of its own
environmental laws.

But if even some of these policies stand, factory EVs WILL be built.  Maybe
they won't be built here in the US, and maybe not all (or none) of the EVs
built elsewhere will make it to our shores and our showrooms.  The way the
US is charging full speed ahead toward those icebergs you mention, it
wouldn't surprise me at all to see most or all US EV sales discontinued or
curtailed. But EVs will be made SOMEWHERE, and offered for sale somewhere
too.

I think -- I HOPE -- that we might finally be approaching that tipping point
you mention. It's just that it's probably not happening yet here in the US,
and it may never.

Re: Solar trailer calculation

Ok.  Seems the practical and useable tear drop RV with 2000 watts weighing a few hundred pounds would allow a trip of a hundred miles and charging in two days of sun. This would be individual cells with the roof totally encapsulated to protect the cells.   Thanks for the input.  There must be a better way.  Lawrence Rhodes

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device