Soldering to the J-1772 Pins

Trying to solder to the pins of an EVSE takes a hellova soldering iron.

But for just soldering on some #12 wires for an L1, I tried this trick:

http://aprs.org/Energy/Charging/EVSE/cut-pins02x.jpg

Hackasawed a slot in the back and then crushed only ½ of the remainder into
a “U” shape to take the #12 wire.  This should take only about 40% of the
heat since I only have to heat about 40% of the pin…

Bob, WB4APR

Re: Soldering to the J-1772 Pins

Bob -

WOW! I guess you know that soldering the J1772 pins has led to melted plugs...
they technically should be crimped... and not cut in half...

At TucsonEV.com I offer a service to crimp your wire into your plug/inlet for $25
plus shipping. The crimp is done to Mil Spec with an industrial pneumatic crimper.

Rush Dougherty
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ 85719

On 10 Oct 2017 at 15:49, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

> Trying to solder to the pins of an EVSE takes a hellova soldering iron.

Could you crimp them with a hammer crimper, or maybe with one of those cheap
Chinese hex crimpers from Harbor Fright?

Re: Soldering to the J-1772 Pins

I always solder with a temp regulated iron from Weller. The strain relief in the handle provides the mechanical sturdiness and the wires are long enough to have no issue with some wicked up solder making them stiff as they are not required to be flexible, being embedded in the handle. I don't know the power of the Weller. Prob around 40WI first fill the pin with molten solder after lightly tinning the wire,then insert the wire into the molten bath of solder in the pin.Works like a charm.Cor

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> Date: 10/10/17  2:57 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]> Cc: EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Soldering to the J-1772 Pins
On 10 Oct 2017 at 15:49, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

> Trying to solder to the pins of an EVSE takes a hellova soldering iron.

Could you crimp them with a hammer crimper, or maybe with one of those cheap
Chinese hex crimpers from Harbor Fright?

Re: Soldering to the J-1772 Pins

Correction,
I found the stamped spec on the Weller iron: it is 24V, 50W
with the base having the transformer and temp regulator.

-------- Original message --------From: EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> Date: 10/10/17  2:57 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]> Cc: EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Soldering to the J-1772 Pins On 10 Oct 2017 at 15:49, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .