Sticky Pot

baerfoot
I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had with
the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a day or
more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I would
drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
issue!
I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
happening.
image of the pot box:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
*http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
Gavin

Re: Sticky Pot

Chris
You almost had me excited with the subject line.

Re: Sticky Pot

Adrian DeLeon
You have symptoms similar to a potbox that's wearing out. Typically it
will wear out near the position you "cruise" in, making things a bit bumpy
or jerky. The wiper inside the pot tends to wiggle back and forth in that
one spot, collecting grime and wearing through the resistive material.

Pumping the accelerator 10-20 times helps wipe the grime off, and will
make things smooth(er) for a while. Putting your potbox in an enclosed box
will help, and will also prolong its life.

The ultimate solution is to ditch the potbox and use a hall-effect (HEPI)
pedal.

YMMV. I had a potbox fail after 2 years. A friend of mine had his last 10.
Otmar connected his directly to his accelerator pedal (without using a
cable) and seems to wear one out every year or so.

-Adrian

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 12:29:11 -0800, Gavin Baer wrote:

> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had
> with
> the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a
> day or
> more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
> especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I
> would
> drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
> worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
> car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
> issue!
> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
> happening.
> image of the pot box:
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
> *http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
> Gavin

Re: Sticky Pot

Dennis Miles
Gavin, your resistance element is corroding slightly when allowed to sit.
 Corrosion is usually an insulating compound but not being uniform it gives
what would sound "Scratchy" if it was used as a volume control in your
radio. Twenty or so rubbings of the wiper over the element cleans it up
sufficiently to scrub the corrosion off and the electrical connection is
smoother. A spray of a quality contact cleaner will last for several months,
BUT do NOT use WD-40, or any spray containing Silicone. as Silicone is an
insulator and is actually BAD for electrical connections even though it is
good for bearings.  Your Pot is slowly getting worse so buy a replacement at
next opportunity and replace it when it fails or when you have to pump it 50
times to clean it or more...       Others may ask, do you have it mounted in
a weather proof box? as that helps prevent this problem.
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.EVTechnicalinstitute.COM
Phone (863) 289 - 0690
          EV service mechs need training!
We want them to REALLY UNDERSTAND: EV Systems, Operation and Technology

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Gavin Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had
> with
> the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a day
> or
> more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
> especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I would
> drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
> worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
> car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
> issue!
> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
> happening.
> image of the pot box:
>
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
> *http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
> Gavin

Re: Sticky Pot

Dennis Miles
Gavin, I looked at the picture and my fears were confirmed. so, when you
replace the pot-box, put the whole thing into a nice weather proof box, and
the new one will last a lot longer...
Regards,
Dennis

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Dennis Miles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gavin, your resistance element is corroding slightly when allowed to sit.
>  Corrosion is usually an insulating compound but not being uniform it gives
> what would sound "Scratchy" if it was used as a volume control in your
> radio. Twenty or so rubbings of the wiper over the element cleans it up
> sufficiently to scrub the corrosion off and the electrical connection is
> smoother. A spray of a quality contact cleaner will last for several months,
> BUT do NOT use WD-40, or any spray containing Silicone. as Silicone is an
> insulator and is actually BAD for electrical connections even though it is
> good for bearings.  Your Pot is slowly getting worse so buy a replacement at
> next opportunity and replace it when it fails or when you have to pump it 50
> times to clean it or more...       Others may ask, do you have it mounted in
> a weather proof box? as that helps prevent this problem.
> Regards,
> Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
> www.EVTechnicalinstitute.COM
> Phone (863) 289 - 0690
>           EV service mechs need training!
> We want them to REALLY UNDERSTAND: EV Systems, Operation and Technology
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Gavin Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had
>> with
>> the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a day
>> or
>> more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
>> especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I
>> would
>> drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
>> worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
>> car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
>> issue!
>> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
>> happening.
>> image of the pot box:
>>
>> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
>> *http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
>> Gavin
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: Sticky Pot

dave cover-2
On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Gavin wrote:

>  What I tried (and it worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20
>  times before turning on the car.

Make sure you don't flood it!   ;^)

DAC

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Gavin Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had with
> the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a day or
> more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
> especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I would
> drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
> worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
> car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
> issue!
> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
> happening.
> image of the pot box:
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
> *http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
> Gavin

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Sticky Pot

baerfoot
Thanks for all the ideas. A protective box sounds like a good way to go, I
could use one side of the box to mount the cable, and use the other side to
mount a backup spring (which I do not have for the moment, but should.)
Gavin

www.EVTechnicalinstitute.COM <http://www.evtechnicalinstitute.com/>
Phone (863) 289 - 0690
         EV service mechs need training!
We want them to REALLY UNDERSTAND: EV Systems, Operation and Technology

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Gavin Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had
> with
> the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a day
> or
> more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
> especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I
would
> drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
> worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
> car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
> issue!
> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
> happening.
> image of the pot box:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
> *http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
> Gavin

Re: Sticky Pot

jonglauser
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Gavin Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for all the ideas. A protective box sounds like a good way to go, I
> could use one side of the box to mount the cable, and use the other side to
> mount a backup spring (which I do not have for the moment, but should.)
> Gavin

I've got an example of that:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sby8m0mJDgKUTfUMTvYoVA?feat=directlink

-Jon Glauser
http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
http://www.evalbum.com/555

Re: Sticky Pot

Victor Tikhonov
Gavin Baer wrote:
> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had with
> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
> happening.

Your pot is dirty and you have to rub through the dirt to get wiper make
good contact again. Also if wiper oxidizes, same thing - you rub off
oxidation layer to make good contact with the carbon track and it stay
"clean" until it has chance to sit idle and oxidize again.

If you have regular carbon pot, try this: take its cover off and rub
the track under wiper with soft graphite pencil, then reassemble.

Your problem will go away (at least for a year or so until you rub
through new graphite layer again). If problem persists, replace your pot
with wire wound pot, or better - the one meant for the job.

Get a pedal assembly from a wrecking yard - all > year 2000 drive by
wire cars will have decent pot integrated in it. Reuse it (or whole
assembly).

Victor

Re: Sticky Pot

John Scrivner
I plan to use a hall effect pedal. There is no wiper to breakdown.

Example: http://www.ngcontrols.com/throttle.html

John Scrivner

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Gavin Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had with
> the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a day or
> more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
> especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I would
> drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
> worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
> car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
> issue!
> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
> happening.
> image of the pot box:
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
> *http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
> Gavin

Re: Sticky Pot

Bob Rice-2
   Right on , John! Far as I'm concerned the pot went out, technology wise,
with the steam locomotive, sailing ship and ox cart!I have a Hall effect for
the long hall, and it NEVER wears out a magnetic field!Like gravity it
continues to work just FINE all the years!

   Seeya

   Bob
>I plan to use a hall effect pedal. There is no wiper to breakdown.
>
> Example: http://www.ngcontrols.com/throttle.html
>
> John Scrivner
>

> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Gavin Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I finally figured out how to simply solve a niggling problem I have had
>> with
>> the Metro for a long time. When the the car has not been driven for a day
>> or
>> more, when I first start out, the acceleration would be jerky. This is
>> especially problematic for reversing, since it reverses fast. After I
>> would
>> drive a little while it would be nice and smooth. What I tried (and it
>> worked), was to pump the accelerator pedal 20 times before turning on the
>> car. Voila, smooth acceleration from the get go. So nice to solve this
>> issue!
>> I am curious if someone on the list has an explanation as to what is
>> happening.
>> image of the pot box:
>> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJjastjxd-4/R5OMHGjihwI/AAAAAAAAA8U/fsghz1MzbNE/s1600/IMGP3653.JPG
>> *http://electricmetro.blogspot.com*
>> Gavin

Re: Sticky Pot

Lee Hart
Bob Rice wrote:
> Right on , John! Far as I'm concerned the pot went out, technology wise,
> with the steam locomotive, sailing ship and ox cart!I have a Hall effect for
> the long hall, and it NEVER wears out a magnetic field!Like gravity it
> continues to work just FINE all the years!

Hah... and our motors (both DC and AC) are over 100 years old, too.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with a pot. It's as simple and
obvious as a bolt or a pencil.

The problems come not from the technology, but from its implementation.
A good pot, properly applied will last nearly forever. Certainly you can
find examples that are 50 years old and still work perfectly.

But you can also find cheap junky ones, or ones that are mis-applied and
so doomed to fail. The Curtis potbox and all the copies I've seen use
cheap unsealed pots. Putting these in a wet or dirty environment is
inviting for trouble!

Even the car companies (normally the world's greatest cheapskates) have
learned to use more expensive sealed pots. Like Victor said, get one of
them instead of the Curtis pots.

Hall effect sensors also have limitations and failure modes; just in
different areas. All the Toyota hybrids that are currently in the news
for "unintended acceleration" have Hall effect throttle pots. Being
semiconductor circuits, they can fail from voltage spikes or surges,
static discharges, external wiring shorts or opens, mechanical binding, etc.

As far as the "long haul"... Almost all semiconductors are in plastic
packages that are not hermetically sealed. This means that water from
the atmosphere slowly seeps inside, and eventually ruins them. This
takes from a year to a few decades.

Antique radios, record players, cars, steam engines etc. still work. But
none of the marvelous electronic gadgets we build today will work when
they're that old!

Re: Sticky Pot

John Scrivner
I have to agree that there are vast differences between good pot and
bad pot. (sorry...couldn't resist)

That aside, I think that it would be generally accepted by most
engineering types that you are much less likely to have problems with
a solid state device like a hall effect sensor than you would with a
mechanical wiper of a potentiometer. The potential for failure by
design is more prevalent in the pot. Runaway conditions can happen in
any system but I will trust my foot on the hall effect before I will
the pot. Obviously each of us can decide their own preferences in this
matter and I would be silly to try to state that potentiometers are
not solid solutions. I simply think the hall effect is a better choice
in this application.
John Scrivner

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bob Rice wrote:
>> Right on , John! Far as I'm concerned the pot went out, technology wise,
>> with the steam locomotive, sailing ship and ox cart!I have a Hall effect for
>> the long hall, and it NEVER wears out a magnetic field!Like gravity it
>> continues to work just FINE all the years!
>
> Hah... and our motors (both DC and AC) are over 100 years old, too.
>
> There's nothing fundamentally wrong with a pot. It's as simple and
> obvious as a bolt or a pencil.
>
> The problems come not from the technology, but from its implementation.
> A good pot, properly applied will last nearly forever. Certainly you can
> find examples that are 50 years old and still work perfectly.
>
> But you can also find cheap junky ones, or ones that are mis-applied and
> so doomed to fail. The Curtis potbox and all the copies I've seen use
> cheap unsealed pots. Putting these in a wet or dirty environment is
> inviting for trouble!
>
> Even the car companies (normally the world's greatest cheapskates) have
> learned to use more expensive sealed pots. Like Victor said, get one of
> them instead of the Curtis pots.
>
> Hall effect sensors also have limitations and failure modes; just in
> different areas. All the Toyota hybrids that are currently in the news
> for "unintended acceleration" have Hall effect throttle pots. Being
> semiconductor circuits, they can fail from voltage spikes or surges,
> static discharges, external wiring shorts or opens, mechanical binding, etc.
>
> As far as the "long haul"... Almost all semiconductors are in plastic
> packages that are not hermetically sealed. This means that water from
> the atmosphere slowly seeps inside, and eventually ruins them. This
> takes from a year to a few decades.
>
> Antique radios, record players, cars, steam engines etc. still work. But
> none of the marvelous electronic gadgets we build today will work when
> they're that old!
> --
> Lee A. Hart             | Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave N           | Forget the perfect offering
> Sartell MN 56377        | There is a crack in everything
> leeahart earthlink.net  | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

Re: Sticky Pot

Bob Rice-2
   Hi EVerybody;

  As USUAL Lee makes a good point! Pots? IF you spend the bux you will get a
decent pot? Lee, ya oughts BUILD a decent potbox; replace the 29 cent
Chinezy one wuith a quality one? Hell! What are potboxes going for? 70 bux?
the POT is what?, 29 cents worth of that?OK you EV stuff suppliers? Get on
it!Lee COULD pik out a good one, advise, and go from there?

   The 1938 STEAM powered 20th Century Limited(16 hours) blows away Amtrak's
Diseasel "Late Sure Limited" on the NYC -Chicago run, time wise! So
Streamlined STEAM STILL works, if YOU want to work it!But I could blow ALL
their doors off with an Acela, on that run, IF anybody, the Feds, want to
pop for a 900 mile 'stench cord?

   Seeya

   Bob
> Bob Rice wrote:>> continues to work just FINE all the years!
>
> Hah... and our motors (both DC and AC) are over 100 years old, too.
>
> There's nothing fundamentally wrong with a pot. It's as simple and
> obvious as a bolt or a pencil.
>
> The problems come not from the technology, but from its implementation.
> A good pot, properly applied will last nearly forever. Certainly you can
> find examples that are 50 years old and still work perfectly.
>
> But you can also find cheap junky ones, or ones that are mis-applied and
> so doomed to fail. The Curtis potbox and all the copies I've seen use
> cheap unsealed pots. Putting these in a wet or dirty environment is
> inviting for trouble!
>
> Even the car companies (normally the world's greatest cheapskates) have
> learned to use more expensive sealed pots. Like Victor said, get one of
> them instead of the Curtis pots.
>
> Hall effect sensors also have limitations and failure modes; just in
> different areas. All the Toyota hybrids that are currently in the news
> for "unintended acceleration" have Hall effect throttle pots. Being
> semiconductor circuits, they can fail from voltage spikes or surges,
> static discharges, external wiring shorts or opens, mechanical binding,
> etc.
>
> As far as the "long haul"... Almost all semiconductors are in plastic
> packages that are not hermetically sealed. This means that water from
> the atmosphere slowly seeps inside, and eventually ruins them. This
> takes from a year to a few decades.
>
> Antique radios, record players, cars, steam engines etc. still work. But
> none of the marvelous electronic gadgets we build today will work when
> they're that old!
> --
> Lee A. Hart | Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave N | Forget the perfect offering
> Sartell MN 56377 | There is a crack in everything
> leeahart earthlink.net | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

_way_ OT: Article in "Nature" (My "day job")

Bill Dube
Like many of the EVDL members, to support my EV habit, I have a "day job."

        Today, Nature Magazine published our article about our discovery of
an unexpected large source for atomic chlorine in the troposphere. (I
took a decent fraction of the field data and I was the principle
designer of the instruments that measured N2O5, NO3, NO2, and NO.)

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7286/edsumm/e100311-11.html

Now back to your regularly scheduled EVDL threads..... ;-)

Bill Dube'

Port Townsend article on EV drag race in Croatia

Esko and Megan
The Port Townsend Leader has posted their March 3rd article on Roderick
Wilde's preparation for a drag race against a MiG jet in Croatia in June.  I
was told the article will stay live only until March 17th.

http://www.ptleader.com/main.asp?SectionID=36&SubSectionID=55&ArticleID=2649
7&TM=49086.12

If the link doesn't work for you, go to PTLeader.com and search for Croatia.

Enjoy

Esko
Port Townsend, a great place to live!

Re: Port Townsend article on EV drag race in Croatia

Dave Hymers
“Anyone from 19 to 90 – you’re never to old to learn new things,” Wilde
said. “I’m at that awkward age between puberty and death, and I want to be a
race car driver when I grow up.”

Thats a great quote from Roderick Wilde.
Good article.

Re: _way_ OT: Article in "Nature" (My "day job")

Steven Trovato
Bill,

Congratulations!  Too bad the whole article isn't available without
subscribing.  Sounds like interesting work from the summary.

-Steve Trovato
[hidden email]

At 05:19 PM 3/10/2010, Bill Dube wrote:

>Like many of the EVDL members, to support my EV habit, I have a "day job."
>
>         Today, Nature Magazine published our article about our discovery of
>an unexpected large source for atomic chlorine in the troposphere. (I
>took a decent fraction of the field data and I was the principle
>designer of the instruments that measured N2O5, NO3, NO2, and NO.)
>
>http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7286/edsumm/e100311-11.html
>
>Now back to your regularly scheduled EVDL threads..... ;-)
>
>Bill Dube'

Re: _way_ OT: Article in "Nature" (My "day job")

Joseph Ashwood
From: "Bill Dube" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [EVDL] _way_ OT: Article in "Nature" (My "day job")

> Like many of the EVDL members, to support my EV habit, I have a "day job."
> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7286/edsumm/e100311-11.html
>
> Now back to your regularly scheduled EVDL threads..... ;-)

'grats. Always good to see science actually at work.

While we're way OT. Anyone looking for an investment? I'm looking for
investors for something completely unrelated to EVs. I won't waste any more
bandwidth on list about it.
                    Joe