Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In the past we have used the Mini BMS on low voltage projects like
Electric Lawn Mowers and Golf Carts.  Now that Clean Power is no
longer, I have been beta testing other BMS'.  There are many different
boards on Ebay that can handle up to 22 cells and do a small amount of
balancing. 60ma seems to be typical.  They have a bank of Mos-fets
that will turn OFF the power to the motor or turn OFF power from the
charger. These looked to be designed for bicycles since they handle
less than 100amps. ( which makes them unsuitable Golf Carts)  I have
been contemplating a way to use this to turn OFF a relay, which would
then turn OFF the main contactor and the charger.  The problem is, on
the Charger side, the circuit is looking to see current flowing in to
the battery, so to power a relay, I am going to need a supply that is
more than the charged voltage of the battery pack plus the voltage
rating of the relay.  There may be some way to tap in to the gate of
these mos-fets.  The way these are commonly set up, when the voltage
is too low, one bank of Mosfets turns OFF stopping the power drain,
but the other side stays ON, allowing charging. I am wondering if
anyone has tinkered with one of these?

I have not seen this reported, but, it seems that Evenetics,  (Soliton
Controller) is having issues.  They seem to be only making the
controllers when they have an order for 10 or more.  I do believe they
are still doing repairs, but I am not positive of that.

Even with the price of gas staying down, we still are seeing sustained
interest in EV Conversions.  We seem to be moving more towards older
"Memory Cars", like my wife's 1956 Ford F500 and her 1967 Austin. I am
presently converting a 1966  MG Midget for a customer.  ( Web page
under construction, but you will be able to see some pic's under the
tab SUMMER ROAD TRIPS, Summer of 2017).

Our most popular program, and probably what has kept us going is our
"Assisted Program".  Where the customer and I do the conversion
together, giving the customer "hands on Experience".
--
Steve Clunn
Merging the best of the past with
the best of the future.
www.Greenshedconversions.com
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Cruisin
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Steve, I now have a programmable charger control that can be used with the BMS assemblies you refer to. email me at cruisin@live.com for additional information
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
On Wed Mar 08 06:31:03 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
>In the past we have used the Mini BMS on low voltage projects like
>Electric Lawn Mowers and Golf Carts.  Now that Clean Power is no
>longer, I have been beta testing other BMS'.  There are many different

And there are also hobbyiests (like me) building their own BMS.
I'm about to replace the one in my Truck with a newer version.
So I'll have 240 (or so) units of the old one to sell cheap.  (Most of the issues I'm fixing with the new version are ease of installation and mounting.)



--

Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
Would you share what you're doing to build a BMS, what you've learnt etc?

I'm interested in doing something similar, eventually...

07966 806 727


On 8 March 2017 at 15:49, John Lussmyer via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed Mar 08 06:31:03 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
> >In the past we have used the Mini BMS on low voltage projects like
> >Electric Lawn Mowers and Golf Carts.  Now that Clean Power is no
> >longer, I have been beta testing other BMS'.  There are many different
>
> And there are also hobbyiests (like me) building their own BMS.
> I'm about to replace the one in my Truck with a newer version.
> So I'll have 240 (or so) units of the old one to sell cheap.  (Most of the
> issues I'm fixing with the new version are ease of installation and
> mounting.)
>
>
>
> --
>
> Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets
> _______________________________________________
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/
> group/NEDRA)
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20170308/9eead6df/attachment.htm>
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
On Wed Mar 08 08:08:01 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
>Would you share what you're doing to build a BMS, what you've learnt etc?

This is my 5th BMS version.
I originally had units with little micro computers on them, and all kinds of nifty digital features. (revs 1 - 3)
PITA to program, reliable communications difficult, expensive, and was hard to detect individual unit failures.
While it was "fun" to watch all the individual voltages on a display, it wasn't especially USEFUL to do so.

Rev 4 and 5 have gone back to a simple analog system.
It detect undervoltage, overvoltage, and has up to 200ma of bypass balancing.
The only output of the units is a single small LED on each reg (on is good!), and a single wire output that is daisychained from unit to unit.
The wire is a current loop, so if ANYTHING goes wrong (unit fails, wire comes loose, cell goes completely dead, etc..) you loose signal.
My in-cab indicator is a green LED that is on if all is good, and a buzzer that goes off if something is wrong.
I've also hooked up a small relay to shut off the charger if "something wrong" happens.


--

Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck! http://john.casadelgato.com/Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
Thats good but thermal monitoring is necessary with many chemistries. Every laptop battery I have every taken apart had thermal sensors on each cell.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 10:33 AM, John Lussmyer via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed Mar 08 08:08:01 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
>> Would you share what you're doing to build a BMS, what you've learnt etc?
>
> This is my 5th BMS version.
> I originally had units with little micro computers on them, and all kinds of nifty digital features. (revs 1 - 3)
> PITA to program, reliable communications difficult, expensive, and was hard to detect individual unit failures.
> While it was "fun" to watch all the individual voltages on a display, it wasn't especially USEFUL to do so.
>
> Rev 4 and 5 have gone back to a simple analog system.
> It detect undervoltage, overvoltage, and has up to 200ma of bypass balancing.
> The only output of the units is a single small LED on each reg (on is good!), and a single wire output that is daisychained from unit to unit.
> The wire is a current loop, so if ANYTHING goes wrong (unit fails, wire comes loose, cell goes completely dead, etc..) you loose signal.
> My in-cab indicator is a green LED that is on if all is good, and a buzzer that goes off if something is wrong.
> I've also hooked up a small relay to shut off the charger if "something wrong" happens.
>
>
> --
>
> Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck! http://john.casadelgato.com/Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250
>
> _______________________________________________
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)
>

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
There has been an open source bms project on endless sphere (search osbms)
that has been on and off for years.  Seemed like a good start.
On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Matthew Quitter via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Would you share what you're doing to build a BMS, what you've learnt etc?
>
> I'm interested in doing something similar, eventually...
>
> 07966 806 727
>
>
> On 8 March 2017 at 15:49, John Lussmyer via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed Mar 08 06:31:03 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
> > >In the past we have used the Mini BMS on low voltage projects like
> > >Electric Lawn Mowers and Golf Carts.  Now that Clean Power is no
> > >longer, I have been beta testing other BMS'.  There are many different
> >
> > And there are also hobbyiests (like me) building their own BMS.
> > I'm about to replace the one in my Truck with a newer version.
> > So I'll have 240 (or so) units of the old one to sell cheap.  (Most of
> the
> > issues I'm fixing with the new version are ease of installation and
> > mounting.)
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets
> > _______________________________________________
> > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> > Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/
> > group/NEDRA)
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/2
> 0170308/9eead6df/attachment.htm>
> _______________________________________________
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group
> /NEDRA)
>
>

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Matthew Quitter via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Would you share what you're doing to build a BMS, what you've learnt etc?
>
> I'm interested in doing something similar, eventually...
>
> 07966 806 727
>
>
> On 8 March 2017 at 15:49, John Lussmyer via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed Mar 08 06:31:03 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
> > >In the past we have used the Mini BMS on low voltage projects like
> > >Electric Lawn Mowers and Golf Carts.  Now that Clean Power is no
> > >longer, I have been beta testing other BMS'.  There are many different
> >
> > And there are also hobbyiests (like me) building their own BMS.
> > I'm about to replace the one in my Truck with a newer version.
> > So I'll have 240 (or so) units of the old one to sell cheap.  (Most of
> the
> > issues I'm fixing with the new version are ease of installation and
> > mounting.)
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets
> > _______________________________________________
> > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> > Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/
> > group/NEDRA)
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/
> 20170308/9eead6df/attachment.htm>
> _______________________________________________
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group
> /NEDRA)
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20170308/41c32a3e/attachment.htm>
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Cruisin
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
Sounds like a knock off of the Mini BMS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
I recently came across this on the British Battery Vehicle Society:

http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=53

And a video of the BMS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgyg41GIGxU

Trying to track down the fellow who made it.

07966 806 727


On 8 March 2017 at 17:24, paul dove via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thats good but thermal monitoring is necessary with many chemistries.
> Every laptop battery I have every taken apart had thermal sensors on each
> cell.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Mar 8, 2017, at 10:33 AM, John Lussmyer via EV <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed Mar 08 08:08:01 PST 2017 [hidden email] said:
> >> Would you share what you're doing to build a BMS, what you've learnt
> etc?
> >
> > This is my 5th BMS version.
> > I originally had units with little micro computers on them, and all
> kinds of nifty digital features. (revs 1 - 3)
> > PITA to program, reliable communications difficult, expensive, and was
> hard to detect individual unit failures.
> > While it was "fun" to watch all the individual voltages on a display, it
> wasn't especially USEFUL to do so.
> >
> > Rev 4 and 5 have gone back to a simple analog system.
> > It detect undervoltage, overvoltage, and has up to 200ma of bypass
> balancing.
> > The only output of the units is a single small LED on each reg (on is
> good!), and a single wire output that is daisychained from unit to unit.
> > The wire is a current loop, so if ANYTHING goes wrong (unit fails, wire
> comes loose, cell goes completely dead, etc..) you loose signal.
> > My in-cab indicator is a green LED that is on if all is good, and a
> buzzer that goes off if something is wrong.
> > I've also hooked up a small relay to shut off the charger if "something
> wrong" happens.
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Worlds only All Electric F-250 truck! http://john.casadelgato.com/
> Electric-Vehicles/1995-Ford-F-250
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> > Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/
> group/NEDRA)
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
> Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/
> group/NEDRA)
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20170308/14e2c804/attachment.htm>
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Subject: Clean Power bites the dust

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Cruisin


On 03/08/2017 11:44 AM, Cruisin via EV wrote:
> Sounds like a knock off of the Mini BMS

Yes, just as miniBMS was a knock off of the Australian <losttheirname>.

I first used the Australian system about 2008 and would have continued
had he not stopped supply needed replacement parts.  The Australian, in
retrospect was much more reliable because it was much more weatherproof
than miniBMS.

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Read EVAngel's EV News at http://evdl.org/evln/
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)