Supercaps in EVs

A surplus house I occasionally buy from is offering these 2600 farad
2.6v "boostcaps" for $36.

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G24932&utm_source=Goldmine&utm_campaign=9211b9afc8-MAY23-2014_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_15cb8e0368-9211b9afc8-60186738

They claim they are used in "electric cars, trains, electric streetcars,
satellites, truck engines, etc." and that they have a retail price of
$80 each.

Frankly, I've never seen a capacitor like this used in such
applications. So I'm curious; has anyone else? I can imagine 6 of them
being used in series to replace a 12v battery, but at over $200 that
hardly seems practical.

If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
  - something to do
  - something to look forward to
  - someone to love
  - someone to take good care of
  - and misbehave, just a little

Re: Supercaps in EVs

Lee;

Question from a novice who knows nothing about supercaps.
Would these be on any use to help with battery sag when drag racing?

Thanks;
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 25, 2020, at 1:08 PM, "Lee Hart via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A surplus house I occasionally buy from is offering these 2600 farad 2.6v "boostcaps" for $36.
>
> https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G24932&utm_source=Goldmine&utm_campaign=9211b9afc8-MAY23-2014_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_15cb8e0368-9211b9afc8-60186738
>
> They claim they are used in "electric cars, trains, electric streetcars, satellites, truck engines, etc." and that they have a retail price of $80 each.
>
> Frankly, I've never seen a capacitor like this used in such applications. So I'm curious; has anyone else? I can imagine 6 of them being used in series to replace a 12v battery, but at over $200 that hardly seems practical.
>
> Lee Hart
>
> --
> If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
> - something to do
> - something to look forward to
> - someone to love
> - someone to take good care of
> - and misbehave, just a little
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: Supercaps in EVs

Maybe Dennis B is still monitoring this forum, he and Bill Dube might be familiar with this and willing to chime in. We discussed pack stiffening years ago and frankly thought it had been done to death by now. I have a few flight packs worth of BB600s that might be very useful with a Ucap booster arrangement. Dach.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt

    On Thursday, June 25, 2020, 11:22:19 AM MST, Pestka Dennis via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Lee;

Question from a novice who knows nothing about supercaps.
Would these be on any use to help with battery sag when drag racing?

Thanks;
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 25, 2020, at 1:08 PM, "Lee Hart via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A surplus house I occasionally buy from is offering these 2600 farad 2.6v "boostcaps" for $36.
>
> https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G24932&utm_source=Goldmine&utm_campaign=9211b9afc8-MAY23-2014_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_15cb8e0368-9211b9afc8-60186738
>
> They claim they are used in "electric cars, trains, electric streetcars, satellites, truck engines, etc." and that they have a retail price of $80 each.
>
> Frankly, I've never seen a capacitor like this used in such applications. So I'm curious; has anyone else? I can imagine 6 of them being used in series to replace a 12v battery, but at over $200 that hardly seems practical.
>
> Lee Hart
>
> --
> If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
> - something to do
> - something to look forward to
> - someone to love
> - someone to take good care of
> - and misbehave, just a little
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: Supercaps in EVs

In the early 2000s, Solectria (RIP) used supercaps experimentally as current
levelers in EVs.  They hoped to get more range out of lead batteries.

The idea worked, to a degree, but the caps' rapid voltage fall meant they
needed a DC:DC converter, and its (in)efficiency was a problem.  Also, the
range improvement was highly dependent on how the vehicle was driven.

http://www.evdl.org/docs/supercap_leveler.pdf

The report linked above doesn't discuss the system's cost, but IIRC it was
pretty high for the small amount of benefit it returned.  Adding another
module or two to the battery would have probably accomplished more for less
cost.  But they couldn't have gotten a grant for that. :-)

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Q:  What do you call a principal female opera singer whose high C
         is lower than those of other principal female opera singers?
     A:  A deep C diva.

                                        -- Anonymous

Re: Supercaps in EVs

I've seen them used mostly in buses for short term regen purposes (they
can absorb lots of power very quickly from a heavy vehicle stopping, and
then release it back out to accelerate back up to speed....more so than
a battery pack....)

Jay