TBS E-xpert Pro - autosync doesn't work

Rob Trahms
Hi all -
Anyone use this SOC meter?  I love it, it works great - very configurable.
I have never been able to get the auto-sync to work though (registering a full charge when certain conditions - F1.0, F1.1 and F1.2 are met).  To get around this, I essentially manually sync the meter when I get ready to drive.  Not a big deal, more of an annoyance.

Anyone had a problem similar to this?  Are there some subtleties to setting this meter up to properly autosync after a completed charge?

Thanks,
Rob

Re: TBS E-xpert Pro - autosync doesn't work

tomw
This post was updated on .
Hi Rob,

Yes, I have gotten it to work, though most of the time I don't meet the voltage condition necessary to trigger it due to my charger settings.  My settings are: F1.0: 124V, F1.1: 1% (which is 1.8A for my 180Ah cells), F1.2: 10 sec, for a 36 cell nominal 115V pack.  It does auto-synch and the screen flashes "Full" when these conditions are met. Have you tried using settings you know you meet each charge?

Re: TBS E-xpert Pro - autosync doesn't work

Rob Trahms
Hi Tom -
Yes, I have definitely used settings that should have been hit.

I have set the following settings:
F1.0 to 175V. My charger gets the pack up to 183.5V, and after charging is complete it spends about 8 hours getting down to 173.5V.

F1.1 to 10%. For my pack of 100AH lithium cells, this would be 10A.  When the charger tapers off toward the end, it goes from 13.5A to 0A over the course of 10 minutes.

F1.2 to 5 sec.  This basically tells the meter the moment the first two are met for 5 seconds, auto-sync.

This may have something to do with the placement of the current shunt in the system.  My current shunt is in the circuit right before the motor controller, and thus does not see any current while charging, only discharge current as the controller pulls charge from the pack.  In that case,  the current seen during charge effectively doesn't change.  If the autosync is looking for a CHANGE in charge current to the level below 10A, it won't see that.  Puzzling...

Rob

Rob

Re: TBS E-xpert Pro - autosync doesn't work

In any E-meter installation, it is best to place the shunt before the main
contactor and main battery.  The charger connection should be place on the
shunt that is the same side that leads to the main contactor.

Therefore when you charge, the E-meter will show a charging current and a
discharging current when motor is in use.

I also found it advisable to install a pair of battery contactors where one
is between the shunt and main contactor and the other one between the
battery and motor controller which is activated by the ON switch.

These contactors are off when you are charging and prevents charging current
in the motor controller and may be even at the motor.  With only one
contactor, I found when I was charging, I had full charge voltage between
the positive of the main battery and the chassis of the EV.

This chassis voltage was cause by the main battery negative passing through
the motor controller and to a DC motor where the brush dust track down the
motor shaft to the vehicle ground.

Installing these battery contactors, the chassis voltage was eliminated.

> Yes, I have definitely used settings that should have been hit.
>
> I have set the following settings:
> F1.0 to 175V. My charger gets the pack up to 183.5V, and after charging is
> complete it spends about 8 hours getting down to 173.5V.
>
> F1.1 to 10%. For my pack of 100AH lithium cells, this would be 10A.  When
> the charger tapers off toward the end, it goes from 13.5A to 0A over the
> course of 10 minutes.
>
> F1.2 to 5 sec.  This basically tells the meter the moment the first two
> are
> met for 5 seconds, auto-sync.
>
> This may have something to do with the placement of the current shunt in
> the
> system.  My current shunt is in the circuit right before the motor
> controller, and thus does not see any current while charging, only
> discharge
> current as the controller pulls charge from the pack.  In that case,  the
> current seen during charge effectively doesn't change.  If the autosync is
> looking for a CHANGE in charge current to the level below 10A, it won't
> see
> that.  Puzzling...
>
> Rob
>
> Rob
>
> -----
> Electro, the Cabby-EV
> http://chaosmgmt.blogspot.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/1426
> Nabble.com.

Re: TBS E-xpert Pro - autosync doesn't work

David Nelson-5
Rob,

You explained the reason when you said that the charge current didn't
go through the shunt. How else would the meter know what the charge
current was. Besides, don't you want to meter all the current out of
and into the battery, not just the current into the controller?

Roland, Why have two contactors on the main contactor side of the
wiring? Doesn't the main contactor disconnect the controller and
therefore the motor from the positive side of the battery? Or are you
talking about a situation where there is a precharge resistor across
the main contactor rather than the controller doing its own
precharging?

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

Re: TBS E-xpert Pro - autosync doesn't work

Rob Trahms
David -
Yes, ideally I would place the shunt to monitor all current going into and coming out of the pack.  The current placement of the shunt is more of an artifact of an old design (I used to monitor motor current with this shunt, and recabled without moving much).  Perhaps I will be moving this shunt at some point, or installing a new shunt nearer the pack.  Not high on my priority list though :)

Rob

Re: TBS E-xpert Pro - autosync doesn't work

The battery contactor on the main contactor side does several things.  One
if there is a fault in pre-charge circuit which my is a by pass resistor and
one works as a emergency shut down contactor if the main contactor fails.
The two extra contactors also shut down the accessory drive which is a motor
generator made by Honey Well that converts the 180 volt DC battery pack to
13.5 to 16 VDC, runs the power steering, A/C, vacuum pump and a water pump
for heating.

If I do maintenance on the main controller, these battery contactors
isolated the main battery from the motor controller.

Also I have a contactor between the battery charger DC output and the main
battery pack.  The contacts are rated for 50 amp DC and has a 120 vac 60 hz
coil.  This contactor is a Square D 3-pole Size 2 magnetic contactor where I
have all 3-poles buss bar together that only breaks the positive current of
the charger.

The PFC charger has a bank of capacitors in it that will hold a charge.
When I lifted up one of the links of my battery with the battery charger off
for a while, I get a spark when I remove the link.  This is not good with
lead acid batteries or have any spark producing devices in the same
atmosphere of the batteries.