TS Batteries again

Rod Dilkes

I have read the comments about TS on the website www.thundersky.us
In the interests of fairness you should also publish mine:

I purchased 45 TS LFP90AHA cells in Feb 2007 from Everspring Global Ltd of Hong Kong.
They delivered the cells in a professional and timely fashion and I paid the same price as ordering direct from the factory but without the bulk discount that many people have tried to get.

They offered a 90 day warranty which has been recently extended to 1 year.

I have used the cells since that time in my own EV with no problem. They regularly deliver 180 amps at 10 degrees Celcius and can deliver higher bursts no problem.

I am aware that some people in the past have ordered cells as a group directly from the factory and had bad experiences. I can sympathise with their plight, I would most likely feel the same in that situation. However I can see why most battery manufacturers also refuse to deal with the public (A123 and Altaire Nanotech to name two).

I can understand the TS factory's reluctance to offer a warranty in the circumstance where no battery management system was used.

However it does nothing to help the grass roots EV industry by defaming one of the few battery manufacturers that will actually supply EV enthusiasts! You only help the large auto manufacturers who want to suppress or delay the introduction of EVs! Better to pay a little more and go through a dealer that offers a warranty and backup service.

If you as a group have a legitimate grievance, and I am sure some of you do, you as a group should appoint a representative to negotiate directly with Thundersky. Preferably someone who speaks Chinese and knows about batteries. If they still won't listen then cop it on the chin, you took a chance on early technology and got a discount but no warranty.

Regards, Rod Dilkes

Re: TS batteries again

cowtown
[...]

But Victor was *trying* to be a distributor - I remember the price
quotes he had on metricmind.com. The cells arrived in bad shape - no
BMS will "fix" a cell. TS was burning that bridge before they even
crossed it. They may not understand how much market there might be for
their product, but they certainly should learn the basics of Western
business beyond a simple profit motive.

Re: TS Batteries again

Shaun Williams
I feel obliged to recount a conversation I had with a technician a few
years ago who'd tested AUD $50,000 worth of TS, supplied by a third
party dealer, for the Queensland University of Technology here in
Brisbane, Australia.

Turns out the cells were useless as there was a "misunderstanding"
about the maximum discharge rate actually being 0.3C NOT 3C!

Sorry Rod, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot barge pole, on principle.

On 8/14/07, Rod Dilkes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have read the comments about TS on the website www.thundersky.us
> In the interests of fairness you should also publish mine:
>
> I purchased 45 TS LFP90AHA cells in Feb 2007 from Everspring Global Ltd of Hong Kong.
> They delivered the cells in a professional and timely fashion and I paid the same price as ordering direct from the factory but without the bulk discount that many people have tried to get.
>
> They offered a 90 day warranty which has been recently extended to 1 year.
>
> I have used the cells since that time in my own EV with no problem. They regularly deliver 180 amps at 10 degrees Celcius and can deliver higher bursts no problem.
>
> I am aware that some people in the past have ordered cells as a group directly from the factory and had bad experiences. I can sympathise with their plight, I would most likely feel the same in that situation. However I can see why most battery manufacturers also refuse to deal with the public (A123 and Altaire Nanotech to name two).
>
> I can understand the TS factory's reluctance to offer a warranty in the circumstance where no battery management system was used.
>
> However it does nothing to help the grass roots EV industry by defaming one of the few battery manufacturers that will actually supply EV enthusiasts! You only help the large auto manufacturers who want to suppress or delay the introduction of EVs! Better to pay a little more and go through a dealer that offers a warranty and backup service.
>
> If you as a group have a legitimate grievance, and I am sure some of you do, you as a group should appoint a representative to negotiate directly with Thundersky. Preferably someone who speaks Chinese and knows about batteries. If they still won't listen then cop it on the chin, you took a chance on early technology and got a discount but no warranty.
>
> Regards, Rod Dilkes

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

Re: TS Batteries again

John Lussmyer
At 11:11 PM 8/13/2007, Rod Dilkes wrote:
>I can understand the TS factory's reluctance to offer a warranty in
>the circumstance where no battery management system was used.

That's where you are wrong.
Several BMS's were being developed for those cells.  The cells were
just BAD.  They NEVER provided their rated capacity, or met any of their specs.
Thundersky shipped a boatload of old, junk, bad cells.
Then decided that they shouldn't be required to replace them.

--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[hidden email]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream.... http://www.CasaDelGato.com