Tesla Y Operating manual on EBay

Hi folks
You would think I bought a $500 car not $55k with no operating manual in the glove box just online.  A guy on EBay prints them out and binds for the glove box. I just put “Operating manual for Tesla Y” in the search. Now I’ll have a reference when I question something instead of asking the great god google for every piddly thing.
Stay Charged
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tesla Y Operating manual on EBay

On 3/22/21 4:28 PM, Mark Hanson via EV wrote:
> Hi folks
> You would think I bought a $500 car not $55k with no operating manual in the glove box just online.  A guy on EBay prints them out and binds for the glove box. I just put “Operating manual for Tesla Y” in the search. Now I’ll have a reference when I question something instead of asking the great god google for every piddly thing.

Your car has an online manual, easily accessible from the display.
Searchable.  Have you looked at that?  I'm pretty sure it is accessible
through standard (rather than "premium") cell service.  Certainly, when
you are wifi connected.  You will need to stay wifi connected as often
as possible to receive software updates.  I don't regularly do it but I
believe you can query the manual via voice.

If you don't like your car I'm sure you will find it easy to sell.

Re: Tesla Y Operating manual on EBay

It seems that many consumer items, no matter the cost, may now be doing that, and include a “getting started” manual, with the rest on internet.

Some companies do it to say money, others are doing it based on consumer demand to eliminate paper.

They certainly are easier to correct and for making updates, as well as search.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Mar 22, 2021, at 2:29 PM, Mark Hanson via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks
> You would think I bought a $500 car not $55k with no operating manual in the glove box just online.  A guy on EBay prints them out and binds for the glove box. I just put “Operating manual for Tesla Y” in the search. Now I’ll have a reference when I question something instead of asking the great god google for every piddly thing.
> Stay Charged
> Mark
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tesla Y Operating manual on EBay

You’d think they would have the manual stored in memory in the car, with updates online.

-Steve

> On Mar 22, 2021, at 5:44 PM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/22/21 4:28 PM, Mark Hanson via EV wrote:
>> Hi folks
>> You would think I bought a $500 car not $55k with no operating manual in the glove box just online.  A guy on EBay prints them out and binds for the glove box. I just put “Operating manual for Tesla Y” in the search. Now I’ll have a reference when I question something instead of asking the great god google for every piddly thing.
>
> Your car has an online manual, easily accessible from the display. Searchable.  Have you looked at that?  I'm pretty sure it is accessible through standard (rather than "premium") cell service.  Certainly, when you are wifi connected.  You will need to stay wifi connected as often as possible to receive software updates.  I don't regularly do it but I believe you can query the manual via voice.
>
> If you don't like your car I'm sure you will find it easy to sell.

Re: Tesla Y Operating manual on EBay

The electronic manual is stored in the car and does not need connectivity.
You can also download the searchable PDF from Tesla's web site.

On 3/22/21 4:56 PM, (-Phil-) wrote:
> The electronic manual is stored in the car and does not need
> connectivity.  You can also download the searchable PDF from Tesla's web
> site.

Thanks, I did not realize that it is in the car memory.  Since it seems
to always be up to date, I imagine software updates also have manual
updates.

I failed to point out to Mark that, since things change quickly in the
Tesla world, a paper manual would soon be out of date.

Mark Hanson via EV wrote:
> Hi folks
> You would think I bought a $500 car not $55k with no operating manual in the glove box just online.  A guy on EBay prints them out and binds for the glove box. I just put “Operating manual for Tesla Y” in the search. Now I’ll have a reference when I question something instead of asking the great god google for every piddly thing.

Like Mark, I prefer to have a real manual that I can read anywhere, any
time. But I also know the modern way is for products to have *no*
manual; you are expected to look everything up online.

Different strokes for different folks. I know people that never send
letters; only emails. Others that never use the doorbell; they call on
their phone when they're at our front door. Others who never place or
answer a phone call; they only text or tweet. Still others that never
read a book, but will watch the movie... as long as it's in color and
not black-and-white. Welcome to life in the 21st century!

All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
(Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)

Re: Tesla Y Operating manual on EBay

For most operational aspects of the car (Y) I hope that it's easy to
discover or figure out without a manual. One shouldn't really need a
manual to figure out how to use the radio, turn signal, adjust the
mirrors, etc. If it isn't reasonably obvious, there's a fundamental
problem with the design.

For the rest, a paper manual has its advantages but, if software
includes a good search (meaning the filtering and ordering of results is
appropriate), isn't it easier to search than to thumb through pages
(with print too small to read when you're on the side of a dark road) ?

I have found the most end-user manuals aren't worth the time to look at
anyway. They are usually so mundane and basic that the info that you're
looking for isn't there in the first place. So, for the Y, I'm not too
concerned about lack of paper.

Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

On 03/22/2021 15:31, Lee Hart via EV wrote:
> Like Mark, I prefer to have a real manual that I can read anywhere,
> any time. But I also know the modern way is for products to have *no*
> manual; you are expected to look everything up online.

One advantage to a pdf manual.  When I am working on my truck I can
print out the 10 paged involved and they are clean.  After doing the
work they are all messy, but next time I need it, those pages are clean.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
[hidden email]
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/