Tesla-Y constant humming when parked in garage, wasting kwh

Tesla-Y constant humming when parked in garage, wasting kwh

Hi Folks,

My Tesla-Y is constantly humming (fans/pumps?) when parked in the garage for
hours.  I heard it loses 1% daily, seems wasteful to me.  Is there a way to
turn power off to things when parked?  My Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf are
silent when parked.

Also Dave put my trailer wiring for the Bolt EV on www.EVDL.org/lib/mh .  I
dug into the Tesla-Y wire harness tonight behind tail lights - so I'll have
one for the Tesla-Y soon using similar diodes.  Must have LEDs on your
trailer.

Have a renewable energy day,

Mark

Mark E. Hanson

184 Vista Lane

Fincastle, VA 24090

540-473-1248 phone & FAX, 540-816-0812 cell

REEVA: community service RE & EV project club

Website: www.REEVAdiy.org (See Project Gallery)

UL Certified PV Installer

My RE&EV Circuits: www.EVDL.org/lib/mh

REEVA Demo:  <http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0> http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0

<https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/a88920376f864ecabaed843dd89
75b8d/signature> Fincastle Solar Weather Station

Re: Tesla-Y constant humming when parked in garage, wasting kwh

The only way to stop a Tesla from using some small amount per day is to
disconnect the 12v.  Welcome to a connected car!

If you disable sentry mode completely you can get the phantom drain pretty
low.

On 3/24/21 8:45 PM, mark hanson via EV wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> My Tesla-Y is constantly humming (fans/pumps?) when parked in the garage for
> hours.  I heard it loses 1% daily, seems wasteful to me.  Is there a way to
> turn power off to things when parked?  My Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf are
> silent when parked.

I imagine that the car is trying to take care of itself.  I advise not
worrying about it.  Your car has a battery that may last 200k miles.
Compare that to a Leaf with battery life as low as 20k miles.

You can monitor "vampire" range reduction which should be well under 10
miles/day.

Re: Tesla-Y constant humming when parked in garage, wasting kwh

Thanks Paul/Phil
When I let it out of the garage this morning it was quiet but all last night when I was working in the garage (about 4 hours building a Tesla Coil) the Tesla was humming.  I’ll turn off sentry mode (I assume it’s in security directory).
Best regards
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 25, 2021, at 7:29 AM, paul dove <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Could be it was trying to communicate with the coil!

-Steve

On 3/25/21 8:16 AM, Willie via EV wrote:
>  Your car has a battery that may last 200k miles.
> Compare that to a Leaf with battery life as low as 20k miles.

You are comparing maximum possible life to minimum possible life.
Doesn't seem very fair to the Leaf.

My Leaf has 6 years and 50k miles on it with 80% of the new
range/capacity remaining.

Jay

On 3/25/21 8:37 AM, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

> On 3/25/21 8:16 AM, Willie via EV wrote:
>>   Your car has a battery that may last 200k miles. Compare that to a
>> Leaf with battery life as low as 20k miles.
>
> You are comparing maximum possible life to minimum possible life.
> Doesn't seem very fair to the Leaf.
>
> My Leaf has 6 years and 50k miles on it with 80% of the new
> range/capacity remaining.

My 2011 Leaf became useless to me before 25k miles when it's range was
reduced to ~60 miles.  My 2013 Tesla, at ~150k miles, has about 225
miles left of it's original 265.  It is very near as useful as it was
new.  It can still go essentially anywhere in the country following a
chain of SuperChargers spaced at <150 miles.  I believe 3/Ys have longer
lived batteries than early Ss.  We won't know for sure for a few years,
but I think 200k miles is a very reasonable expectation.

Congratulations on your very good Leaf battery luck!  Though I'm not
sure how useful 80% of a small Leaf battery is.

Re: Leaf range (Tesla-Y constant humming)

Our 2011 Leaf has about 35-50 mile range, depending on weather. That's
pretty minimal, I know, but completely adequate for everything in the
city and even a bit further. Depends where you live. (Still, I want to
replace it, but - you've seen my other posts - it's not so easy to find
something that will replace both our cars with one.)

Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

>On 3/25/21 8:37 AM, Jay Summet via EV wrote:
>>

>>On 3/25/21 8:16 AM, Willie via EV wrote:
>>>   Your car has a battery that may last 200k miles. Compare that to a Leaf with battery life as low as 20k miles.
>>
>>You are comparing maximum possible life to minimum possible life. Doesn't seem very fair to the Leaf.
>>
>>My Leaf has 6 years and 50k miles on it with 80% of the new range/capacity remaining.
>
>My 2011 Leaf became useless to me before 25k miles when it's range was reduced to ~60 miles.  My 2013 Tesla, at ~150k miles, has about 225 miles left of it's original 265.  It is very near as useful as it was new.  It can still go essentially anywhere in the country following a chain of SuperChargers spaced at <150 miles.  I believe 3/Ys have longer lived batteries than early Ss.  We won't know for sure for a few years, but I think 200k miles is a very reasonable expectation.
>
>Congratulations on your very good Leaf battery luck!  Though I'm not sure how useful 80% of a small Leaf battery is.

Re: Leaf range (Tesla-Y constant humming)

My 2013 has identical stats at 44k miles, 80% capacity bars.

I’m excited to transport it to a tech 250 miles away who will put a 62 kWh pack from a totaled LEAF into mine.

Sincerely,
Bob Bath

Note: any misspellings of the contents of this message are due to 55 y.o. vision, hyperactive spell check changing what I typed, or fat fingering— not cluelessness.

> On Mar 25, 2021, at 7:50 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Our 2011 Leaf has about 35-50 mile range, depending on weather. That's pretty minimal, I know, but completely adequate for everything in the city and even a bit further. Depends where you live. (Still, I want to replace it, but - you've seen my other posts - it's not so easy to find something that will replace both our cars with one.)
>
> Peri
>
> << Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

Hello Mark,

My Model 3 does the same thing.  I am told that it is being done to
condition the batteries.  I notice on days when the temperature is
above 90 degrees and after a bit of time, the pump(s) will turn on to
cool the pack.  The same thing happens when temps go below freezing(?)
as the batteries should be kept warmer.  Also, when approaching a
Supercharger, the pack will go into a preconditioning mode so
recharging goes faster.

From what I have read, it's all part of a positive battery management
program to prolong the life of the pack and to keep the pack healthy.
Is it wasteful? Yes/no, it depends.

Peter

Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> Our 2011 Leaf has about 35-50 mile range, depending on weather. That's
> pretty minimal, I know, but completely adequate for everything in the
> city and even a bit further. Depends where you live. (Still, I want to
> replace it, but - you've seen my other posts - it's not so easy to find
> something that will replace both our cars with one.)

We have a 2013 Leaf with about 35K miles on it. So far, no noticeable
degradation in range. There must be some, but it can still do 80 miles
on a charge in warm weather.

There may be extenuating circumstances. I'm an old hand at driving EVs,
and drive like an old man (I *am* an old man)! We live in a small town,
so trips are short and we've never stressed its range. We don't get hot
weather, so heat degradation should be minimal. And we normally charge
to 80% (the 2013 gives us that option).

Peri, have you looked into what it would cost to replace your Leaf's
battery with a newer one?

Lee

--
All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's

Re: Leaf range (Tesla-Y constant humming)

Bob, who and where is the tech who can upgrade an older leaf to a 62kWh
pack?

Thanks,
  -Jamie

On 3/25/21 8:53 AM, Bob Bath via EV wrote:

> My 2013 has identical stats at 44k miles, 80% capacity bars.
>
> I’m excited to transport it to a tech 250 miles away who will put a 62 kWh pack from a totaled LEAF into mine.
>
> Sincerely,
> Bob Bath
>
> Note: any misspellings of the contents of this message are due to 55 y.o. vision, hyperactive spell check changing what I typed, or fat fingering— not cluelessness.
>

>> On Mar 25, 2021, at 7:50 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Our 2011 Leaf has about 35-50 mile range, depending on weather. That's pretty minimal, I know, but completely adequate for everything in the city and even a bit further. Depends where you live. (Still, I want to replace it, but - you've seen my other posts - it's not so easy to find something that will replace both our cars with one.)
>>
>> Peri
>>
>> << Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

For me, replacing the Leaf battery isn't worth the cost. I'd rather put
that money into a new vehicle where I can get substantially longer
range. In other words, if I were to get 150 mile range with a new
battery (and I don't think that is possible for the 2011 Leaf), that is
still to short for out-of-town trips so would I gain little additional
value.

My best option, if my wife agrees, is to get a small van capable of at
least 250 miles with heat and defrost on. Then we could be a one car
household. A small NEV for local errands might be worthwhile, too. There
are no such vans available at the moment (or even large SUVs aside from
Tesla X, which is too expensive). The closest would be Phil's Promaster
conversions, but they are too large for my needs and (I think) not quite
enough range.

Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> My best option, if my wife agrees, is to get a small van capable of at
> least 250 miles with heat and defrost on. Then we could be a one car
> household. A small NEV for local errands might be worthwhile, too. There
> are no such vans available at the moment (or even large SUVs aside from
> Tesla X, which is too expensive). The closest would be Phil's Promaster
> conversions, but they are too large for my needs and (I think) not quite
> enough range.

The technology certainly exists to do this. My 1992 Dodge minivan with
manual transmission easily got 30 mpg, so its basic efficiency was good.
It was rated to carry 1540 lbs, which is a lot of batteries. If
converted into an EV with a Tesla pack, it should have been able to
provide a 250-300 mile range.

But, no one wants to build such a thing. Today's "minivans" are a foot
wider, 2 feet longer, weigh half a ton more, and can carry less weight.
It seems that Americans can only get big expensive heavy vehicles.

All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
(Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)

Re: Leaf range (Tesla-Y constant humming)

FYI: The 136" wheelbase low-roof is the smallest Van we can convert.  If
it's not loaded it gets way better mileage.   Probably not 250, but close!

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:23 AM Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For me, replacing the Leaf battery isn't worth the cost. I'd rather put
> that money into a new vehicle where I can get substantially longer
> range. In other words, if I were to get 150 mile range with a new
> battery (and I don't think that is possible for the 2011 Leaf), that is
> still to short for out-of-town trips so would I gain little additional
> value.
>
> My best option, if my wife agrees, is to get a small van capable of at
> least 250 miles with heat and defrost on. Then we could be a one car
> household. A small NEV for local errands might be worthwhile, too. There
> are no such vans available at the moment (or even large SUVs aside from
> Tesla X, which is too expensive). The closest would be Phil's Promaster
> conversions, but they are too large for my needs and (I think) not quite
> enough range.
>
> Peri
>
> << Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

Yes, I looked at that and really tried hard to see if it would work. But
it's just too big for me. It's too long for city parking and too high to
fit in parking garages. The turning radius is amazing, though. And the
range might be ok, but I would need to know what to expect at 70 mph
with heat and defrost (but since the other parameters don't work for me,
I don't need to know the range right now).

On 3/25/21 9:56 AM, Willie via EV wrote:
> Congratulations on your very good Leaf battery luck!

My understanding is that the performance is typical for 2015 Leafs (the
2011/2012 and some of the 2013 models definitely had the "learning
batteries", much like the original Tesla Roadster).

>Though I'm not
> sure how useful 80% of a small Leaf battery is.

It had 100 miles range originally, and is now closer to 80 miles.
(Considering I upgraded from an S-10 conversion that had 30-50 miles of
range, plus no real indication of the range remaining, it's doing quite
well for me ;> )

Jay

Re: Tesla-Y constant humming when parked in garage, wasting kwh

So bizarre. I lost my first bar after 11 MPs and not another since. LeafSpy app saying I’m at 79%.
   I don’t mind charging every trip during winter, but why should I when my wife’s Bolt is throwing down 225 mi/charge?

Sincerely,
Bob Bath

Note: any misspellings of the contents of this message are due to 55 y.o. vision, hyperactive spell check changing what I typed, or fat fingering— not cluelessness.

> On Mar 25, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Jay Summet via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/25/21 9:56 AM, Willie via EV wrote:
>> Congratulations on your very good Leaf battery luck!
>
> My understanding is that the performance is typical for 2015 Leafs (the 2011/2012 and some of the 2013 models definitely had the "learning batteries", much like the original Tesla Roadster).
>
>> Though I'm not sure how useful 80% of a small Leaf battery is.
>

> It had 100 miles range originally, and is now closer to 80 miles. (Considering I upgraded from an S-10 conversion that had 30-50 miles of range, plus no real indication of the range remaining, it's doing quite well for me ;> )
>
> Jay

Re: Tesla-Y constant humming when parked in garage, wasting kwh

On 3/25/21 8:37 AM, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

> On 3/25/21 8:16 AM, Willie via EV wrote:
>>   Your car has a battery that may last 200k miles. Compare that to a
>> Leaf with battery life as low as 20k miles.
>
> You are comparing maximum possible life to minimum possible life.
> Doesn't seem very fair to the Leaf.
>
> My Leaf has 6 years and 50k miles on it with 80% of the new
> range/capacity remaining.

Here is a battery report on a 2014 S with near 200k miles:

---
My original 100% range was 265, presently it is 238 which equals a 10%
loss.  My life time avg Wh/mi is 318.  The follow are the stats since
2015 when I started tracking this.

Aug 2015 - 32,016 miles - 262 100% - 1.1% loss - 329 Wh/mi
Aug 2016 - 50,089 - 259 - 2.3% - 326
Aug 2017 - 87,951 - 258 - 2.6% - 325
Aug 2018 - 120,723 - 256 - 3.3% - 322
Aug 2019 - 162,327 - 251 - 5.6% - 320
Aug 2020 - 180,383 - 243 - 8.3% - 319
Mar 2021 - 187,928 - 238 - 10.1% - 318

To put that 10% loss in perspective, that equates to a loss of 2.3 mpg
in an avg ICE car.  Speaking of gas, thus far, even after factoring in
my charging cost at home, I have saved $20,515 in gas.  Having free
supercharging of course helps......
----

My 2013 S now has 142k miles and has about the same range, maybe a
little less.  With a 200+ mile battery, 10-20% loss is not very significant.

So, 200k miles is NOT "maximum possible life".  Likely, far less.

These are near 10 year old batteries.  Of course, we believe the current
batteries have been improved and will last longer.