Tesla keyless keyfob fix

Hi folks
All my other EVs (Leaf and Bolt) have normal key fobs that you can attach your house Keys to but the foo-foo Tesla key fob doesn’t. So to make wife happy, I threaded solder wick through the battery compartment lanyard, put the house key on and then soldered the ends together to hold the house key.
Btw , just found out today that you have to lock the Tesla Y to have the accessories go off, like heat pump and radio (unless you remember to turn them off when leaving the car).  I like the seats, more comfy than the Bolt.
Have a renewable energy day
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tesla keyless keyfob fix

Uhm, the accessories most definitely turn off when the doors are shut.  The
HVAC goes off immediately (unless someone is sitting in the front seats),
and the Accy rail goes off about 10 minutes later depending on what mode
the power state machine is in. (Sentry mode, etc)

Hard to believe you and the wife don't use a smartphone at all which would
relegate the backup key as a card in your wallet, as your phone makes the
action of handling a key unnecessary unless you lose it or it's dead.
Yeah, grumble-grumble, get off my lawn, but I've since went to fingerprint
locks on my doors, and don't carry keys anymore, it's really nice!

For the same reason soldering is not recommended for applications where
there is vibration and movement, you may soon find the solder wick will
work harden quickly where you soldered it, and the expensive (and
redundant) fob will be lost in short order.   Besides, I bet she carries a
purse, which is a fine place to leave the fob/card, as you don't really
ever need to touch it.

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 12:43 PM Mark Hanson via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks
> All my other EVs (Leaf and Bolt) have normal key fobs that you can attach
> your house Keys to but the foo-foo Tesla key fob doesn’t. So to make wife
> happy, I threaded solder wick through the battery compartment lanyard, put
> the house key on and then soldered the ends together to hold the house
> key.
> Btw , just found out today that you have to lock the Tesla Y to have the
> accessories go off, like heat pump and radio (unless you remember to turn
> them off when leaving the car).  I like the seats, more comfy than the
> Bolt.
> Have a renewable energy day
> Mark
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tesla keyless keyfob fix

Thanks Phil
I didn’t know the AC goes off when you close the door. I’ve asked several Tesla folks around here and thought you had to remember to turn it off or lock the doors.  The key fob is more reliable than a dead cell phone.
Best regards
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 1, 2021, at 4:18 PM, (-Phil-) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Uhm, the accessories most definitely turn off when the doors are shut.  The HVAC goes off immediately (unless someone is sitting in the front seats), and the Accy rail goes off about 10 minutes later depending on what mode the power state machine is in. (Sentry mode, etc)

Hard to believe you and the wife don't use a smartphone at all which would relegate the backup key as a card in your wallet, as your phone makes the action of handling a key unnecessary unless you lose it or it's dead.  Yeah, grumble-grumble, get off my lawn, but I've since went to fingerprint locks on my doors, and don't carry keys anymore, it's really nice!

For the same reason soldering is not recommended for applications where there is vibration and movement, you may soon find the solder wick will work harden quickly where you soldered it, and the expensive (and redundant) fob will be lost in short order.   Besides, I bet she carries a purse, which is a fine place to leave the fob/card, as you don't really ever need to touch it.

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 12:43 PM Mark Hanson via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks
> All my other EVs (Leaf and Bolt) have normal key fobs that you can attach your house Keys to but the foo-foo Tesla key fob doesn’t. So to make wife happy, I threaded solder wick through the battery compartment lanyard, put the house key on and then soldered the ends together to hold the house key.
> Btw , just found out today that you have to lock the Tesla Y to have the accessories go off, like heat pump and radio (unless you remember to turn them off when leaving the car).  I like the seats, more comfy than the Bolt.
> Have a renewable energy day
> Mark
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tesla keyless keyfob fix

On 1 Apr 2021 at 16:42, Mark Hanson via EV wrote:

> The key fob is more reliable than a dead cell phone.

Yup.  And a lot easier to slip into your pocket, considering the ludicrous
size of today's tablets-masquerading-as-mobile-phones.

From what I've read, you can own and drive Teslas and other EVs without
using a smartphone, though you might lose some features.  (In some EVs, some
of the features may still be available from the car touchscreens.)

But every now and then I read about some new prototype EV where there are
few or no normal driving controls, with nearly everything controlled from
your smartphone that you slip into a holder on the instrument panel while
driving.  Eh, no thanks.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world
     of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.

                       -- Richard Nixon, "Real Peace"(1983)

Re: Tesla keyless keyfob fix

.... and when you pull over to take a picture of the beautiful
landscape, you discover you cannot restart your Tesla with your phone,
because you are out of cell phone coverage. :-(

Surprisingly common occurrence.

Bill D.

On 4/2/2021 10:14 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2021 at 16:42, Mark Hanson via EV wrote:
>
>> The key fob is more reliable than a dead cell phone.
> Yup.  And a lot easier to slip into your pocket, considering the ludicrous
> size of today's tablets-masquerading-as-mobile-phones.
>
> >From what I've read, you can own and drive Teslas and other EVs without
> using a smartphone, though you might lose some features.  (In some EVs, some
> of the features may still be available from the car touchscreens.)
>
> But every now and then I read about some new prototype EV where there are
> few or no normal driving controls, with nearly everything controlled from
> your smartphone that you slip into a holder on the instrument panel while
> driving.  Eh, no thanks.
>
> David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
>
> To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
> offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt
>
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>       The only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world
>       of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
>
>                         -- Richard Nixon, "Real Peace"(1983)

Re: Tesla keyless keyfob fix

Seriously, you have to have cell coverage to open or start a tesla ? I
would think it uses bluetooth.

Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

>.... and when you pull over to take a picture of the beautiful landscape, you discover you cannot restart your Tesla with your phone, because you are out of cell phone coverage. :-(
>
>Surprisingly common occurrence.
>
>Bill D.
>
>On 4/2/2021 10:14 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>>On 1 Apr 2021 at 16:42, Mark Hanson via EV wrote:
>>
>>>The key fob is more reliable than a dead cell phone.
>>Yup.  And a lot easier to slip into your pocket, considering the ludicrous
>>size of today's tablets-masquerading-as-mobile-phones.
>>
>> >From what I've read, you can own and drive Teslas and other EVs without using a smartphone, though you might lose some features.  (In some EVs, some
>>of the features may still be available from the car touchscreens.)
>>
>>But every now and then I read about some new prototype EV where there are
>>few or no normal driving controls, with nearly everything controlled from
>>your smartphone that you slip into a holder on the instrument panel while
>>driving.  Eh, no thanks.
>>
>>David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
>>
>>To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
>>offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt
>>
>>= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>>       The only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world
>>       of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
>>
>>                         -- Richard Nixon, "Real Peace"(1983)

Re: Tesla keyless keyfob fix

Naw, Telsa gives you an RFID card that you hold up to the driver's
side pillar between the front and rear seat just below the camera.  I
carry my card in my wallet like some people carry their keys in their
pockets.  The Cell phone APP and FOB are secondary and tertiary means
of entry.

On 4/1/21 7:04 PM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> Seriously, you have to have cell coverage to open or start a tesla ? I
> would think it uses bluetooth.

Tesla app through cell phone to open/start is kind of an emergency
method. For when your normal "key" is missing.  S/X come with battery
powered key fobs.  3 (and I presume Y) come with RFID cards (no
batteries to be replaced).  I mostly leave my 3 RFID card on the center
console so that it is always ready to go.

Re: Tesla keyless keyfob fix

It does use bluetooth.  You don't even need to have a SIM in to use the
phone as key.

Again; The premise here is that you carry the backup card in your wallet.
It's the same size as a credit card, waterproof, and no batteries.  The car
will not lock itself if your phone is dead, you have to do it with the card
manually.  It's very difficult to have a problem as long as you carry the
card.  Put it behind your driver's license, you have to have that.

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 5:05 PM Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Seriously, you have to have cell coverage to open or start a tesla ? I
> would think it uses bluetooth.
>
> Peri
>
> << Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

Yes, the Y has an RFID card - I did a test drive a few weeks ago. But,
what do you mean "leave it in the center console" ? If you leave the car
parked somewhere, you need to take it with you, right ? Otherwise anyone
can take the car.

On 4/1/21 7:12 PM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> Yes, the Y has an RFID card - I did a test drive a few weeks ago. But,
> what do you mean "leave it in the center console" ? If you leave the car
> parked somewhere, you need to take it with you, right ? Otherwise anyone
> can take the car.

True.  If they know how it works.  Most people can't figure out how to
open a door.  Also, it is a mistake to live where people are not to be
trusted.  When in places that seem not safe, I do sometimes take the
card with me.  But, usually not.  I've put about 200k miles on Teslas
and not had a theft attempt.  I kinda look forward to a theft and
telling the cops where the car is.  Do I remember correctly that the car
can be disabled via the app?  At least, it can be put in valet mode?