The EVDL is moving

EVDL Administrator
San Jose State University (SJSU) has graciously and generously hosted the
EVDL at no charge since 1991.  But the world is changing, and so is SJSU.

Their support crew have notified me that, like many other universities,
they're outsourcing communications services and shutting down on-campus
resources. This includes email discussion lists.  In fact, it seems that our
list is the last one still standing.

But no worries.  The EVDL will forge ahead on another listserver - just as
it did when we switched from SJSU's old server to SJSU's new one in 2007.

One thing will be different from the last move.  Then, we took the
subscriber list from the old server and just fed it into the new one.
However, the members' status didn't transfer.  So the new server promptly
started sending out email to a few hundred long-forgotten subscribers who'd
turned off email years before.  The many whose email accounts were dead
nearly brought the server to its knees with bounced mail.  The few who still
had their old email accounts were VERY surprised - in some cases, not
pleasantly so - to hear from the EVDL again.

So this time, instead of automatically subscribing you to the new server,
we'll have it send you an invitation to resubscribe.  To stay on the EVDL,
you'll need to follow a weblink in the email message you receive.

You'll also use a different address for posting, of course.

Most everything else will remain the same.  The EVDL will still be an email
discussion list.  Messages will look very similar.  It will continue to
serve all the current members who still want to take part.  The Nabble
archive will remain our searchable online post repository and forum-style
front end.  We'll still be the Internet's oldest and most comprehensive EV
support resource.

Well, OK, one thing >will< probably change.  You won't have to deal with the
Milter Greylist any more.  ;-)

No doubt there'll be some glitches - in fact I guarantee it! - but we'll do
our best to iron them out.  Please try to be patient.

Soon, you should receive an email invitation to subscribe to the new-but-
much-the-same EVDL.  I hope you'll accept it and stay in this great company
of EV friends.

Wish list: The EVDL is moving

brucedp5
I am hoping that before my email invitation, a 'how to' of the new list
will be sent out before hand so we can bone up.
I am assuming that when the email invitation is sent, and I respond
according to its instructions, that the subscriber (me) will need to set
at that time my parameters (individual messages, no digest, show my
posts to myself, etc. etc.). It is those details that I think it would
be good to know ahead of time.

Before I respond to the email invitation, I would like the nabble
archive to be fully up and operational, so the switch would be
transparent (no lost posts).

This change takes be way back to my beginnings with the evdl (circa
1990), when I read on a couple of posts of other discussions web-crawler
(the search engine of choice in those: pre-yahoo, pre-google days) found
for me, that talked about an electric vehicle discussion list on SJSU. I
was hungry to learn more and get connected.

I finally figured out how to subscribe, when after a week of receiving a
boat load of emails each day of anyone and everyone yacking EVs, that
like now, a server change was going to occur. I do not think it was
exactly the same, but we all had to resubscribe to get back on (lots of
IT methodology had not been worked out yet in those days, so many IT
functions were done ad hoc/on the fly).

After sending in my email to be re-subscribed, I could only wait, and
wait until I would know if the effort was successful. It was that what
seemed like an eternity of waiting, where you were going through
withdrawals, dying to get back to the constant daily stream of email
chatter that made you once again part of the evdl 's EV discussions
(like being back, once again part of a huge club of people with similar
interests).

 ... Ah ... the early-early days of the Internet, before web pages were
 dominant, and there was next to no multimedia (video, music, etc.).
 Those days were not better just quite different ... I doubt any would
 understand unless you went though the Internet's infancy ...

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - IMAP accessible web-mail

Re: The EVDL is moving

Elithion
Thank you David for managing this great service for our community!

Is money needed?
Davide Andrea
Elithion

Re: The EVDL is moving

Rush Dougherty
David wrote -

> Well, OK, one thing >will< probably change.  You won't have to deal with
the
> Milter Greylist any more.  ;-)

YYEEEEAAAAAAHHH!

> No doubt there'll be some glitches - in fact I guarantee it! - but we'll
do our
> best to iron them out.  Please try to be patient.
>
> Soon, you should receive an email invitation to subscribe to the new-but-
> much-the-same EVDL.  I hope you'll accept it and stay in this great
company
> of EV friends.

Excellent, whenever anything is moved, there are minor problems.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

Re: The EVDL is moving

David Chapman-9
Thanks for the heads up David and of course your long time efforts are truly appreciated. Of course I will be re-subscribing. The EVDL has been a major part of my life nearly since its inception, wouldn't know what to do without all y'all. Dach.

[...]

reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my