The Times Of Israel: Israeli startup reinvents the wheel, by using it to contain car’s key components

The Times Of Israel: Israeli startup reinvents the wheel, by using it to contain car’s key components

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-startup-reinvents-the-wheel-by-using-it-to-contain-key-car-components

---

[Revolutionary design to be unveiled Wednesday in California]

Israeli startup reinvents the wheel, by using it to contain car’s key components

Relocating the motor, steering, suspension and brakes into vehicle’s wheels, REE creates a flat, light, versatile chassis to increase energy efficiency in electric cars

By Shoshanna Solomon 9 July 2019, 5:11 pm

[An illustration of REE's flat chassis (Courtesy)]

Israeli startup REE has unveiled a “revolutionary” new design and look for electric vehicles, in which all of the classic components of the car — the motor, the steering system, the brakes and the suspension — are moved from under the hood into the wheels.

This helps create a vehicle framework, the chassis, that is completely flat, like a skateboard, and thus more versatile. This shape also helps reduce weight, an essential component for the success of electric vehicles.

REE’s approach, which will be officially presented on Wednesday at the TechCrunch Mobility event in San Jose, California, strategically places the motor, steering, suspension, drivetrain, sensors, brakes, thermal systems and electronics into the wheels. This allows manufacturers to use the same platform, or car framework, for different types of vehicle bodies.

This will eliminate the need for multiple platforms for different vehicles, resulting in “substantial savings,”as the design and validation of each platform traditionally costs manufacturers $20 billion, the firm said.

[An illustration of the REE wheel (Courtesy)]

The “modular chassis” frees up space by 67 percent and reduces vehicle weight by 33%, data provided by the company shows.

The same platform can be used for any type of vehicle: a high-performance car able to do 0-60 mph in less than 3 seconds, an off-road SUV with advanced active suspension technology, a robotaxi or even a 10-ton truck, the company said in a statement.

The reduced size and weight also increase the energy and operational efficiency of these cars.

“This level of efficiency significantly helps the electrification process, reduces the strain on batteries and ensures the power in the vehicle last longer,” the company said.

REE said it is already collaborating with global original equipment manufacturers, as well as Tier-1 and Tier-2 automotive companies including Mitsubishi Corporation, Mushashi, Linamar, Tenneco and NXP.

“The concepts of the past are limited and restrict the ability of the automotive industry to realize the electric and autonomous reality they are striving for,” said Daniel Barel, co-founder and CEO of REE, in a statement. “Until now, the industry has operated by making incremental improvements on the traditional design of the automotive vehicle. At REE, we believe that in order to hasten the automotive revolution we need to reinvent the wheel – quite literally.”

The Tel Aviv-based firm was set up by Daniel Barel and Avishay Sardes, who are also the founders of SoftWheel, a startup that developed flexible, shock-absorbing wheels for wheelchairs for a smoother ride and more stability without sacrificing speed.

---

Len Moskowitz

Old skateboard chassis idea: ... startup.il reinvents the wheel ...

% Way back around 2002 GM touted the skateboard chassis idea:

Forgotten Concept: 2002 GM Autonomy
https://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/24/forgotten-concept-2002-gm-autonomy/
Sep 24, 2010 - Behold, the billion-dollar Skateboard! ... If this sounds a
lot like a body-on-frame rolling chassis from the pre-war era of automotive
manufacture ...
https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsamabuelsamid%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2Fgm-autonomy-1200x960.jpg

 Back then when I had press credentials and attended EDTA (aka evs.org)
symposiums [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Electric_Vehicle_Association
], I got up close to see a GM Autonomy chassis on display.
 The idea had is Body-on-frame roots before WW2/1930's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body-on-frame
Body-on-frame ... Disadvantages
    The complete vehicle will often be heavier than a monocoque shell,
resulting in diminished performance and higher fuel consumption.
    Body-on-frame vehicles with high ground clearance such as trucks and
true off-road SUVs have high centers of gravity, compromising their on-road
performance.
    Torsional flexing during cornering can compromise the handling and road
grip.
    Many older body-on-frame vehicles have no inbuilt crumple zones, so
their crashworthiness is below that of a monocoque shell with crumple zones.

 Like the EV1, GM did nothing with the idea. But others tried:

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/A-Trexa-way-to-start-an-EV-Company-point-click-manufacture-tp3276343.html
 A Trexa way to start an EV Company: point, click, manufacture
... a company called Trexa has introduced a similar looking project to GM's
AUTOnomy that uses fully recyclable lithium-ion battery technology ... but
keeps the same single adaptable platform approach ...
Feb 08, 2011
https://img.newatlas.com/trexa-electric-car.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ch=Width%2CDPR&crop=entropy&fit=crop&h=347&q=60&w=616&s=a3977e54f34dcbe34b6fa93f6e15b409
https://www.google.com/search?q=Trexa
 (http://www.trexa.com/ site is dead, thus so is the company)
https://twitter.com/trexa

 IMHO, bottom line: this startup.il is trolling4$ touting an old idea.
Nothing outstandingly new about it.

Re: Old skateboard chassis idea: ... startup.il reinvents the wheel ...

And what are the advantages?

I don’t know, but it sounds like we’re only getting half the story.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Jul 11, 2019, at 6:40 PM, brucedp5 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> % Way back around 2002 GM touted the skateboard chassis idea:
>
> Forgotten Concept: 2002 GM Autonomy
> https://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/24/forgotten-concept-2002-gm-autonomy/
> Sep 24, 2010 - Behold, the billion-dollar Skateboard! ... If this sounds a
> lot like a body-on-frame rolling chassis from the pre-war era of automotive
> manufacture ...
> https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsamabuelsamid%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2Fgm-autonomy-1200x960.jpg
>
> Back then when I had press credentials and attended EDTA (aka evs.org)
> symposiums [
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Electric_Vehicle_Association
> ], I got up close to see a GM Autonomy chassis on display.
> The idea had is Body-on-frame roots before WW2/1930's:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body-on-frame
> Body-on-frame ... Disadvantages
>    The complete vehicle will often be heavier than a monocoque shell,
> resulting in diminished performance and higher fuel consumption.
>    Body-on-frame vehicles with high ground clearance such as trucks and
> true off-road SUVs have high centers of gravity, compromising their on-road
> performance.
>    Torsional flexing during cornering can compromise the handling and road
> grip.
>    Many older body-on-frame vehicles have no inbuilt crumple zones, so
> their crashworthiness is below that of a monocoque shell with crumple zones.
>
> Like the EV1, GM did nothing with the idea. But others tried:
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/A-Trexa-way-to-start-an-EV-Company-point-click-manufacture-tp3276343.html
> A Trexa way to start an EV Company: point, click, manufacture
> ... a company called Trexa has introduced a similar looking project to GM's
> AUTOnomy that uses fully recyclable lithium-ion battery technology ... but
> keeps the same single adaptable platform approach ...
> Feb 08, 2011
> https://img.newatlas.com/trexa-electric-car.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ch=Width%2CDPR&crop=entropy&fit=crop&h=347&q=60&w=616&s=a3977e54f34dcbe34b6fa93f6e15b409
> https://www.google.com/search?q=Trexa
> (http://www.trexa.com/ site is dead, thus so is the company)
> https://twitter.com/trexa
>

> IMHO, bottom line: this startup.il is trolling4$ touting an old idea.
> Nothing outstandingly new about it.
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
> http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

Re: The Times Of Israel: Israeli startup reinvents the wheel, by using it to contain car’s key components

Woo, wheelmotors. they've re-invented wheelmotors.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 16:49, moskowitz via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> manufacturers, as well as Tier-1 and Tier-2 automotive companies including
> Mitsubishi Corporation, Mushashi, Linamar, Tenneco and NXP.
>
> “The concepts of the past are limited and restrict the ability of the
> automotive industry to realize the electric and autonomous reality they are
> striving for,” said Daniel Barel, co-founder and CEO of REE, in a
> statement. “Until now, the industry has operated by making incremental
> improvements on the traditional design of the automotive vehicle. At REE,
> we believe that in order to hasten the automotive revolution we need to
> reinvent the wheel – quite literally.”
>
> The Tel Aviv-based firm was set up by Daniel Barel and Avishay Sardes, who
> are also the founders of SoftWheel, a startup that developed flexible,
> shock-absorbing wheels for wheelchairs for a smoother ride and more

Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

Re: Old skateboard chassis idea: ... startup.il reinvents the wheel ...

It seems to me that the new idea here is to move all basic automotive functions (motors, steering, suspension, brakes) out to wheels, leaving nothing on the frame but a flat floor.

Len Moskowitz