The eLectric DeLorean gets new batteries

The eLectric DeLorean gets new batteries

drdhdmd
The eLectric DeLorean now has a new set of batteries.  I contemplated
switching to Lithium but I just couldn't afford a pack that could put out 2000
amperes.

I have just installed a new set of thirteen Sears Platinum DieHards.   The
PM-1 which by all accounts is the same as the Odyssey PC2150  series.

What is the proper break in procedure?

When can I try to max out the 2000 amp battery current capability of the
Z2K without committing battricide again?

Well I suppose I did commit battricide on my first set of Deka  9A31s.
After 1640 miles of abuse they were getting me only 15 - 20 miles  of range.

Are my old batteries worth anything other than as ballast?  They  still can
put out more than 500 amps if called for, they just don't seem to have  the
100AH capacity any more.

Anyone interested in them?

Thank  you,

Dave Delman
1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
electricdelorean.com
http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: The eLectric DeLorean gets new batteries

Douglas A. Stansfield-2
Might be worth the reclamation fees.

Sincerely;

Douglas A. Stansfield
President
www.TransAtlanticElectricConversions.com
973-875-6276 (office)
973-670-9208 (cell)
973-440-1619 (fax)

ELECTRIC CAR PRODUCERS

Re: The eLectric DeLorean gets new batteries

Jeff McCabe
Dave,
  Comgrads. on the new pc2150,s
 You will love the new found power!
The first thing I would do is , put Lee Harts zeners on them. Beings a rookie with my first set of bateries(pc1500), they were in my Porsche for 2 years and 5,000 miles. I could still get 25 miles out of them, even though I did my share of "Batricide" Make sure and have your charger porgrammed for agm's also.
 Just put a dozen or so cycles on the, no more than 50 dod and have fun!

Jeff McCabe, 928 Porsche EV

> switching to Lithium but I just couldn't afford a pack that
> could put out 2000
> amperes.
>
> I have just installed a new set of thirteen Sears Platinum
> DieHards.   The
> PM-1 which by all accounts is the same as the Odyssey
> PC2150  series.
>
> What is the proper break in procedure?
>
> When can I try to max out the 2000 amp battery current
> capability of the
> Z2K without committing battricide again?
>
> Well I suppose I did commit battricide on my first set of
> Deka  9A31s.
> After 1640 miles of abuse they were getting me only 15 - 20
> miles  of range.
>
> Are my old batteries worth anything other than as
> ballast?  They  still can
> put out more than 500 amps if called for, they just don't
> seem to have  the
> 100AH capacity any more.
>
> Anyone interested in them?
>
> Thank  you,
>
> Dave Delman
> 1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
> electricdelorean.com
> http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: The eLectric DeLorean gets new batteries

Hello Dave,

If you look in the Café Electric manual, the best you be able to draw from a
2k controller is about 80% or about 1600 amps if your battery voltage does
not drop too much.  A 1K controller on a 1000 amp battery, the best I can do
is 600 motor amps which is limited by the voltage drop under that load at
250 battery amps.

According to my battery manufacture on my last set of Trojans T-145's, it is
recommended to limit the battery ampere to 75 ampere and not drop below 80%
SOC for 200 cycles.  On a Zilla this is about 200 motor ampere.  It is
recommended to try to keep the battery ampere below 100 amps during
acceleration which would be about 300 motor amperes.

I have no problem keeping in that range, because all my driving is city
driving at speeds up to 45 mph at 5000 rpm in 2nd gear overall ratio of
9.7440:1 drawing 75 to 100 battery amperes.

In fact all my driving was in this range for about 9 years, until four
batteries out of thirty drop to 500 amp capacity a year ago and install
remaining 144 volts of batteries in a pickup which is still going today.

> The eLectric DeLorean now has a new set of batteries.  I contemplated
> switching to Lithium but I just couldn't afford a pack that could put out
> 2000
> amperes.
>
> I have just installed a new set of thirteen Sears Platinum DieHards.   The
> PM-1 which by all accounts is the same as the Odyssey PC2150  series.
>
> What is the proper break in procedure?
>
> When can I try to max out the 2000 amp battery current capability of the
> Z2K without committing battricide again?
>
> Well I suppose I did commit battricide on my first set of Deka  9A31s.
> After 1640 miles of abuse they were getting me only 15 - 20 miles  of
> range.
>
> Are my old batteries worth anything other than as ballast?  They  still
> can
> put out more than 500 amps if called for, they just don't seem to have
> the
> 100AH capacity any more.
>
> Anyone interested in them?
>
> Thank  you,
>
> Dave Delman
> 1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
> electricdelorean.com
> http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: The eLectric DeLorean gets new batteries

Steven Ciciora
Where are you located?  Sounds like they would make a great learner pack... I know a local high school that is building an EV that needs a learner pack...  but I bet you are not anywhere near Colorado.

- Steven Ciciora

> switching to Lithium but I just couldn't afford a pack that
> could put out 2000
> amperes.
>
> I have just installed a new set of thirteen Sears Platinum
> DieHards.   The
> PM-1 which by all accounts is the same as the Odyssey
> PC2150  series.
>
> What is the proper break in procedure?
>
> When can I try to max out the 2000 amp battery current
> capability of the
> Z2K without committing battricide again?
>
> Well I suppose I did commit battricide on my first set of
> Deka  9A31s.
> After 1640 miles of abuse they were getting me only 15 - 20
> miles  of range.
>
> Are my old batteries worth anything other than as
> ballast?  They  still can
> put out more than 500 amps if called for, they just don't
> seem to have  the
> 100AH capacity any more.
>
> Anyone interested in them?
>
> Thank  you,
>
> Dave Delman
> 1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
> electricdelorean.com
> http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: The eLectric DeLorean gets new batteries

Mike Willmon
Hey Dave, I sold my Deka's to a kid who was using them for a smaller project.  They would still put out the juice, just for not as
long though.  Maybe ask $20 or $25 each for them.    They could also make good lawnmower conversion batteries :-)

Mike

Adam Brunette
Dave,

I talked to my friend that is a dealer of Odyssey batteries and also used
them in a BMW 316 Conversion. He is running 10 od the PC-2150's.
http://www.evalbum.com/3032  He said 10 cycles or so to about 60% charge.
Also, Enersys(maker of the sears and odyssey batts) reccomends that when the
batteries are in series to not charge more then 14.5V per battery. That also
say that if you drop that back to 14.4V per battery, you should easily get
1000 cycles!

I have the PM-1 battery for my golf cart, and must say they are great
batteries.

Also, make sure you charge them at high current. Odyssey reccomends that
they be charged at 40A!!

Hope this helps.

-Adam