To fully-charge faster than in 15 seconds is totally unnecessary

To fully-charge faster than in 15 seconds is totally unnecessary

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/11/30/will-electric-vehicles-ever-be-able-to-fully-charge-in-ten-minutes-or-less/
Will Electric Vehicles Ever Be Able To Fully Charge In Ten Minutes Or Less?
Nov 30, 2017  Quora , Contributor

When do you think (if ever) electric vehicles will be able to charge (fully)
in 5-10 min? [
https://www.quora.com/When-do-you-think-if-ever-electric-vehicles-will-be-able-to-charge-fully-in-5-10-min
] originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge,
empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.

Answer by Jeff Solie, advocate for electric vehicles, on Quora:

When do you think electric vehicles will be able to charge fully in 5-10
minutes?

This is the most common question asked by people who do not yet understand
electric vehicles. We’re already way faster than five minutes.

Every night, I plug in my car. And every morning I drive away with a full
tank of electrons. I didn’t go anywhere or do anything, other than spend the
full seven to eight seconds it took to plug in my car.

So in a way - it currently takes seven or eight seconds to charge my car.
Which is significantly shorter than it takes to fill a tank with gasoline.

When I wake in the morning - I have 212 miles of range (80% of my 85kWh
battery). If I know the day before that I’ll drive farther than 212 miles
(this happens at least three or four days per year), then I charge higher
than 80%. If I’m traveling (another six-ish times per year), then I have my
route planned.

But excluding the six-ish days per year when I’m traveling - the other 359
days per year are well within my daily range. If I got really anxious - I
could rent a car six times. But I don’t. It’s totally not necessary.

With that said - I also do have to invest the time required to unplug my car
in the morning… so the seven to eight seconds is a little bit skewed. It’s
probably more like fifteen seconds all-in. I spend so much less time fueling
than a person with a twentieth century gas powered car - it’s amazing to me
that this is a question. But I understand - it’s a learning curve. I’m way
on the leading edge of the curve. It’s fun over here.

It’s also far less expensive.

I drive 24,000 miles per year. My total cost of fuel in 2016 was $621. If I
was in a twentieth century gas car getting 20 mpg - that number would have
been more like $4,800 - and that’s with gas at $2.40.

And my oil changes were right around $0.

And my timing belts were $0.

And my brakes were $0 (regenerative braking… way awesome).

And my spark plugs were $0.

And my transmission fluid change was $0.

And my serpentine belt was $0.

And my emissions test were $0.

And my sensors and catalytics were $0.

And my air filters were $0.

Etc., etc., etc.

And I fill my car in fifteen seconds.

I hope that helps. It’s a process. It’s a learning curve. It’s a paradigm
shift. And those of us in the EV community are all patient to wait for the
ah-ha moments in everyone’s eyes. I am hoping this made at least one ah-ha
moment happen?
[© forbes.com]

Re: To fully-charge faster than in 15 seconds is totally unnecessary

The used car salesman approach to advocacy?

Did you know that I can receive in 10 minutes a package from a company in Europe?

9 minutes to order the package, and one minute (at most!) to bring it inside.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>
> And my timing belts were $0.
>
> And my brakes were $0 (regenerative braking… way awesome).
>
> And my spark plugs were $0.
>
> And my transmission fluid change was $0.
>
> And my serpentine belt was $0.
>
> And my emissions test were $0.
>
> And my sensors and catalytics were $0.
>
> And my air filters were $0.
>
> Etc., etc., etc.
>
> And I fill my car in fifteen seconds.
>
> I hope that helps. It’s a process. It’s a learning curve. It’s a paradigm
> shift. And those of us in the EV community are all patient to wait for the
> ah-ha moments in everyone’s eyes. I am hoping this made at least one ah-ha
> moment happen?
> [© forbes.com]
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
> http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

Re: To fully-charge faster than in 15 seconds is totally unnecessary

I think Solie's point of view is valid. It's different than ordering a
package from a distant place. When you order the package, usually it's
something you want and then have to wait for it. If you did a good job
planning ahead, then it might be valid to not count the wait time.

For charging an EV, it's like planning ahead. Except that your wait is
while you sleep so you aren't really waiting. It certainly rings true
for me.

The issue I have with Solie's argument is that it only applies to people
who have a place to charge at night. During the early adopter phase,
which I claim we're still in, that is not too much of an issue. But I
think it will be. I predict many people will go to a "filling station"
every several days, much as they do now.

Before someone points out that this could be alleviated by having charge
points at most parking spaces, consider this: at some point, the
infrastructure is cheaper to build in a more centralized way - filling
statiions - rather than distributed.

Peri

> [...]
>>the
>>ah-ha moments in everyone’s eyes. I am hoping this made at least one
>>ah-ha
>>moment happen?
>>[© forbes.com]
>>

>>For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
>>http://evdl.org/archive/
>>

>>{brucedp.neocities.org}
>>
>>--
>>Sent from:
>>http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/

Re: To fully-charge faster than in 15 seconds is totally unnecessary

> > The issue ... is that it only applies to people who have a place to
> charge at night.

> I predict many people will go to a "filling station" every several days.
> consider this: at some point, the infrastructure is cheaper to build in a
more centralized way
>- filling stations - rather than distributed.

That is the ultimate in gastank/gastation legacy thinking.  There is
electricity on every street corner, and every house, every establishment
and  and most every street except in the most rural areas.

Thinking people are going to go to a "station" and sit there 30 minutes is
unsustainable!  The real estate to have enough "charging" spots at a
"charging station" will have to be TEN times bigger than a typical gas
station to serve the same number of cars.  How long are you willing to
stand in line waiting for your 30 minutes to charge  You have to SIT in
your car during that time or lose your place in line!

The new paradigm of the EV is that electricity is EVERYWHERE.

Bob, WB4APR.

Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
> The used car salesman approach to advocacy?
>
> Did you know that I can receive in 10 minutes a package from a company in Europe?
>
> 9 minutes to order the package, and one minute (at most!) to bring it inside.

Still, it's a clever way to frame the question. Most people seem
obsessed with how much of *their* time it takes to do something.

Sure; they could drive to a store, get out of their car, spend 10
minutes to get the item, wait in line to pay for it, etc. They have what
they want in maybe 15 minutes; but they see that as a major inconvenience.

Or they could order it online, at home. A few clicks on the computer or
phone, and it's done. It all takes less than a minute. Even though the
item might take a week to arrive, they're still happy because it took so
little of *their* time!

Charging an EV can be framed the same way. Instead of 30 minutes driving
to a gas station to refuel your car, you spend just a matter of seconds
to "order it online" (i.e. plug in, in your garage) and your fuel is
delivered. Free overnight delivery, too, at no extra cost! :-)

--
"Verschlimmbessern" (German, verb) - To make something worse by
trying to improve it. (English translation: "Microsoft"?)

Re: To fully-charge faster than in 15 seconds is totally unnecessary

I think the convenience factor has another component. The only time you need to stop for gas is when you are already late. With an EV you never have to stop to charge. You take an extra 15 seconds when you are already stopping for something else.

All that is really needed is a simple receptacle at every parking place.

Ed

> [...]
>>>
>>> And my serpentine belt was $0.
>>>
>>> And my emissions test were $0.
>>>
>>> And my sensors and catalytics were $0.
>>>
>>> And my air filters were $0.
>>>
>>> Etc., etc., etc.
>>>
>>> And I fill my car in fifteen seconds.
>>>
>>> I hope that helps. It’s a process. It’s a learning curve. It’s a paradigm
>>> shift. And those of us in the EV community are all patient to wait for the
>>> ah-ha moments in everyone’s eyes. I am hoping this made at least one ah-ha
>>> moment happen?
>>> [© forbes.com]
>>>

> --
> "Verschlimmbessern" (German, verb) - To make something worse by
> trying to improve it. (English translation: "Microsoft"?)
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: To fully-charge faster than in 15 seconds is totally unnecessary

I agree, if that limited niche fits for you (it does for lots of people).

I would take issue with the thought of someone driving 30 minutes to fill their car with gas. Are you referring to rural areas of sone sort?

Sent from my iPhone