Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

Thanks Folks for helping me make my decision. The Ford Escape PHEV seems like it’s made of Unobtanium anyway (factory Covid shutdowns,layoffs).  Maybe there’s a reason Ford’s stock remains in the single digits and Tesla $300+.  I’ll pick up the Blue Tesla Y Saturday In Richmond, since I’m 65, paid from my IRA so no payments $52k, 4 wheel drive 316 mile range.  We’re no longer fossil fools now with a Leaf, Bolt and a Tesla. I’m also building a Tesla Coil that throws 5’ lightning bolts, 6.0 kit from Eastern voltage research.com.
The Tesla Y looks like it has a steep learning curve compared to the Bolt. Had to sign up last night for a Tesla account and download an app on my iPhone to access the car. It looks like you’re Information tracked For charging convenience (automatically charges credit card without using at supercharger stations).  The controls are not in the usual places and a lot is done through the laptop size touchscreen.  Probably why you don’t see them as Hertz etc rentals. I’ll have to dig into the wire harness to set up a trailer hitch from Etrailers.com To tow the boat.  Say where’s the parking brake to set when I launch the ski boat at the boat ramp?  It would be a bummer to submerge a $52k car.
One big reason for buying the Tesla Y is the self driving capability as we get older and decrepit, so we don’t get kicked out of our house to an old fart home like the nieghbors did when they couldn’t drive.  Of course you’ll still have to have the cognition to operate this fancy car...
Have a renewable energy day
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

Curious. What is your final price including dest fee, taxes, and
licensing ?

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

> [...]

>One big reason for buying the Tesla Y is the self driving capability as we get older and decrepit, so we don’t get kicked out of our house to an old fart home like the nieghbors did when they couldn’t drive.  Of course you’ll still have to have the cognition to operate this fancy car...
>Have a renewable energy day
>Mark
>
>Sent from my iPhone

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

You didn't spring for the $25k submersible option? I hear it's self-navigating.

Cops: 2 Rodriguezes on Ballot Was Part of Confusion Plot
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/6054c00adecaf40000251st02vuc1
His Parents Kicked Him Out Monday. On Tuesday, Shootings
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/6054c00be06c40000251st02vuc2
'Belligerent' Refusal to Wear a Mask, Then a Stabbing
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/6054c00b315db40000251st02vuc3

On 3/19/21 9:53 AM, paul dove via EV wrote:
> Won’t know that till he goes to the DMV. Tesla doesn’t do that part

He will at least know all price components except for state tax and
registration fees.  But, it is different from state to state as you
indicate.  I assume that, in California, complete registration is
handled by Tesla.  In Texas, mostly Tesla accepts payment excluding
state fees/taxes, delivers needed paperwork with the car and the buyer
goes to local tax office and pays sales tax and registration.  That
complicates things for those expecting to finance the entire amount.
Sales tax in Texas is 6% or thereabouts.  Registration less than $100.
The last car I bought, 2018 3, Tesla tried to do the whole deal and
badly botched it.  I paid Tesla the whole ball of wax including state
fees/taxes.  I ended up driving the car illegally on paper tags for a
couple of months before Tesla threw in the towel and refunded the state
portion and supplied me the needed paperwork to take to tax office.
Dealing with that final stage is and was trivial compared with Tesla
doing it and failing.  I don't know what the Texas situation is right
now.  We have hope that the Austin giga factory being very rapidly built
will allow Tesla to triumph over the franchised auto dealers association
lobby.

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

Mark said “I’m also building a Tesla Coil that throws 5’ lightning bolts.”

Have you read the book “The Seventh Plague” written by James Rollins? In
that book there is an extensive part about a guy that wants to generate
power for everyone by building a giant Tesla Coil. The Tesla Coil did not
work in that book. I also have thought about building a Tesla Coil, but I
also want to build a trebuchet. Unfortunately I’m still working on my solar
water heater, my battery backup for the solar panels, earth tubes and many
other projects. Retired does not mean having nothing to do ...
Bob Keeland

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:54 AM paul dove via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No parking brake. It has a break paw in the gear box that engages when in
> park.
>

> Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>

> On Friday, March 19, 2021, 9:32 AM, Mark Hanson via EV <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Folks for helping me make my decision. The Ford Escape PHEV seems
> like it’s made of Unobtanium anyway (factory Covid shutdowns,layoffs).
> Maybe there’s a reason Ford’s stock remains in the single digits and Tesla
> $300+.  I’ll pick up the Blue Tesla Y Saturday In Richmond, since I’m 65,
> paid from my IRA so no payments $52k, 4 wheel drive 316 mile range.  We’re
> no longer fossil fools now with a Leaf, Bolt and a Tesla. I’m also building
> a Tesla Coil that throws 5’ lightning bolts, 6.0 kit from Eastern voltage
> research.com.
> The Tesla Y looks like it has a steep learning curve compared to the Bolt.
> Had to sign up last night for a Tesla account and download an app on my
> iPhone to access the car. It looks like you’re Information tracked For
> charging convenience (automatically charges credit card without using at
> supercharger stations).  The controls are not in the usual places and a lot
> is done through the laptop size touchscreen.  Probably why you don’t see
> them as Hertz etc rentals. I’ll have to dig into the wire harness to set up
> a trailer hitch from Etrailers.com To tow the boat.  Say where’s the
> parking brake to set when I launch the ski boat at the boat ramp?  It would
> be a bummer to submerge a $52k car.
> One big reason for buying the Tesla Y is the self driving capability as we
> get older and decrepit, so we don’t get kicked out of our house to an old
> fart home like the nieghbors did when they couldn’t drive.  Of course
> you’ll still have to have the cognition to operate this fancy car...
> Have a renewable energy day
> Mark
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

Thanks Bob
Sounds like some good projects.
A nieghbor built a trebuchet, threw mellons quite a distance.  I haven’t read the book, just Tesla’s.  Tesla confused spark length with radio transmitter efficacy.
Stay Charged
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Mar 2021 at 14:52, paul dove via EV wrote:

> No parking brake. It has a break paw in the gear box that engages when in
> park.

I assume you mean a brake, not a break; and a parking pawl, not a paw.
Otherwise you might have to take the poor critter to a veterinarian to get
that broken paw set.  :-)

Typographical errors aside, I've never trusted the parking pawls in
automatic transmissions.  I've heard of them shearing off.

I'd be hesitant to buy a car without a real mechanical parking brake that
actually engages the brake shoes or pads.  If I did, I'd carry wheel chocks.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools - Now Solar

When I post about the huge savings with home solar (Grid tied)(50% the cost
of the utility) I often get pushback from several people such as Mr.
Keeland and I just found out why.  His state Louisianna gets an "F" on
renewables.  Here are the states:
The 2019 Community Power Scorecard – Institute for Local Self-Reliance
(ilsr.org)
<https://ilsr.org/2019-community-power-scorecard/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIte69gvm87wIVjoVaBR2YGA3xEAAYASAAEgLT7fD_BwE#maps>

Wow, That is an eye opener and a shock as to why Solar has no foothold in
all these backwards states.  Without NET metering, solar has to rely on
batteries for energy storage and that triples the cost of the system making
it totally uneconomical.  But the good news is that with people on thie EV
list all owning huge batteries in their EV's they may already havae the big
battery to make it economical.  But only if retired and their EV is there
at home with the solar panels when the EV can absorb the free solar
electricity.

So a good home solar DIY project is solar-to EV charging for the small
subset of EV owners who are at home during the solar day.

A corollary is that if you live in a progressive NET metering state and
have sun on your property, you are crazy not to sign up.  This is in case
they backtrack and take away net metering due to u tility greed.  At least
you will be grandfathered.

Bob

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 1:24 PM Bobby Keeland via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > them as Hertz etc rentals. I’ll have to dig into the wire harness to set
> up
> > a trailer hitch from Etrailers.com To tow the boat.  Say where’s the
> > parking brake to set when I launch the ski boat at the boat ramp?  It
> would
> > be a bummer to submerge a $52k car.
> > One big reason for buying the Tesla Y is the self driving capability as
> we
> > get older and decrepit, so we don’t get kicked out of our house to an old
> > fart home like the nieghbors did when they couldn’t drive.  Of course
> > you’ll still have to have the cognition to operate this fancy car...
> > Have a renewable energy day
> > Mark
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

This is incorrect.  Tesla has no parking Pawl.  Anytime you "park" the car
both rear calipers are independently applied, as will both remain hard
locked.  It won't roll into the lake.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:54 AM paul dove via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No parking brake. It has a break paw in the gear box that engages when in
> park.
>

> Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>

> On Friday, March 19, 2021, 9:32 AM, Mark Hanson via EV <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Folks for helping me make my decision. The Ford Escape PHEV seems
> like it’s made of Unobtanium anyway (factory Covid shutdowns,layoffs).
> Maybe there’s a reason Ford’s stock remains in the single digits and Tesla
> $300+.  I’ll pick up the Blue Tesla Y Saturday In Richmond, since I’m 65,
> paid from my IRA so no payments $52k, 4 wheel drive 316 mile range.  We’re
> no longer fossil fools now with a Leaf, Bolt and a Tesla. I’m also building
> a Tesla Coil that throws 5’ lightning bolts, 6.0 kit from Eastern voltage
> research.com.
> The Tesla Y looks like it has a steep learning curve compared to the Bolt.
> Had to sign up last night for a Tesla account and download an app on my
> iPhone to access the car. It looks like you’re Information tracked For
> charging convenience (automatically charges credit card without using at
> supercharger stations).  The controls are not in the usual places and a lot
> is done through the laptop size touchscreen.  Probably why you don’t see
> them as Hertz etc rentals. I’ll have to dig into the wire harness to set up
> a trailer hitch from Etrailers.com To tow the boat.  Say where’s the
> parking brake to set when I launch the ski boat at the boat ramp?  It would
> be a bummer to submerge a $52k car.
> One big reason for buying the Tesla Y is the self driving capability as we
> get older and decrepit, so we don’t get kicked out of our house to an old
> fart home like the nieghbors did when they couldn’t drive.  Of course
> you’ll still have to have the cognition to operate this fancy car...
> Have a renewable energy day
> Mark
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

So, is that to be understood that there's a separate servo which pulls
on cables independently attached to the calipers ? That would be similar
to the leaf, though there's a button to actuate the servo.
Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

>This is incorrect.  Tesla has no parking Pawl.  Anytime you "park" the car
>both rear calipers are independently applied, as will both remain hard
>locked.  It won't roll into the lake.
>
>On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:54 AM paul dove via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  No parking brake. It has a break paw in the gear box that engages when in
>>  park.
>>

>>  Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>>

>>  On Friday, March 19, 2021, 9:32 AM, Mark Hanson via EV <[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks Folks for helping me make my decision. The Ford Escape PHEV seems
>>  like it’s made of Unobtanium anyway (factory Covid shutdowns,layoffs).
>>  Maybe there’s a reason Ford’s stock remains in the single digits and Tesla
>>  $300+.  I’ll pick up the Blue Tesla Y Saturday In Richmond, since I’m 65,
>>  paid from my IRA so no payments $52k, 4 wheel drive 316 mile range.  We’re
>>  no longer fossil fools now with a Leaf, Bolt and a Tesla. I’m also building
>>  a Tesla Coil that throws 5’ lightning bolts, 6.0 kit from Eastern voltage
>>  research.com.
>>  The Tesla Y looks like it has a steep learning curve compared to the Bolt.
>>  Had to sign up last night for a Tesla account and download an app on my
>>  iPhone to access the car. It looks like you’re Information tracked For
>>  charging convenience (automatically charges credit card without using at
>>  supercharger stations).  The controls are not in the usual places and a lot
>>  is done through the laptop size touchscreen.  Probably why you don’t see
>>  them as Hertz etc rentals. I’ll have to dig into the wire harness to set up
>>  a trailer hitch from Etrailers.com To tow the boat.  Say where’s the
>>  parking brake to set when I launch the ski boat at the boat ramp?  It would
>>  be a bummer to submerge a $52k car.
>>  One big reason for buying the Tesla Y is the self driving capability as we
>>  get older and decrepit, so we don’t get kicked out of our house to an old
>>  fart home like the nieghbors did when they couldn’t drive.  Of course
>>  you’ll still have to have the cognition to operate this fancy car...
>>  Have a renewable energy day
>>  Mark
>>
>>  Sent from my iPhone

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools in our house

No, it's an electric motor integrated into each rear caliper.  Direct
application, no cables or hydraulic.

Bobby Keeland via EV wrote:
> Mark said “I’m also building a Tesla Coil that throws 5’ lightning bolts.”
>
> Have you read the book “The Seventh Plague” written by James Rollins? In
> that book there is an extensive part about a guy that wants to generate
> power for everyone by building a giant Tesla Coil. The Tesla Coil did not
> work in that book.

Haven't heard of the book; but Tesla's broadcasted power experiments
were not tesla coils; they were low-frequency RF transmitters. At the
right frequency, RF will bend to follow the atmosphere between the
ground and space like a duct.

The theory is sound, but the losses are high and he didn't have the
technology to make it practical.

> I also want to build a trebuchet.

Little ones are fun, and not hard to build. I have a toy one built out
of Erector set parts. Kids have fun throwing things with it. :-)

> Unfortunately I’m still working on my solar water heater, my battery
> backup for the solar panels, earth tubes and many other projects.

... not to mention electric cars. :-)

> Retired does not mean having nothing to do ...

That's for sure!

Lee

--
All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's

Projects

In a previous posting I said:
<Unfortunately I’m still working on my solar
<water heater, my battery backup for the solar
<panels, earth tubes and many other
<projects.

Lee Hart responded with:
<... not to mention electric cars. :-)

Actually I have added a few things to the Model 3, but what I would really
like to do is work on converting my 1951 Chevy pickup to electric.
Unfortunately someone from EV West said that for that pickup I would have
to add a LOT of batteries in order to get much range. After retiring I do
have more time to work on “Projects” but the pay check is so very much less
o have to keep pushing projects back. Of well at least I do drive an
electric car.
Bob Keeland
Louisiana

Re: Projects

Bobby Keeland wrote:
> Actually I have added a few things to the Model 3, but what I would really
> like to do is work on converting my 1951 Chevy pickup to electric.
> Unfortunately someone from EV West said that for that pickup I would have
> to add a LOT of batteries in order to get much range.

That all depends on the definitions of "a lot" and "to get much range".
Pickups are heavier and less efficient than regular cards; so they will
indeed need more batteries for a given range. On the plus side, they are
particularly easy to convert.

But if this is a 1951 pickup, I suspect you won't be driving it fast or
far. If your range and power requirements are modest, your battery pack
can be equally modest.

My very first EV was a 1974 Datsun pickup, with a dozen 6v golf cart
batteries in the bed. My range was about 50 miles; but that was plenty
enough to drive it to/from work and errands.

John Wayland converted a 1995 Toyota pickup into an EV with an amazing
40 golf cart batteries in the bed. It had a top speed of about 85 mph
and a range of 120-150 miles.

These both used cheap lead-acid batteries. But today, you may be able to
salvage a pack from a wrecked auto company EV at a good price.

All children are born engineers. Watch them at play. They're not
just playing; they're experimenting, building and learning. That's
engineering! Then we get them in school and squash it out of them.
(Geoffrey Orsak, Southern Methodist University dean of engineering)

Re: Projects

Bobby, have you done any research on Earth Tubes?  Not just looking up testimonials and anecdotes, but looked for actual studies?

I was really yped about earth tubes for a while until I looked into them and found a few studies.  I found a lot of people claiming that all they did was dig 2 foot deep trenchs and burried 30 feet of tube and 'Wow, what a difference'
But the actual studies with measurements, etc. tell a different story.

First of all you need to go a LOT deeper than 2 feeet, 6-8 foot minimum.
One study I found was done in India as I recall, they were studying using Earth Tubes to cool a green house.
They used 4 tubes 100 feet long, 8 foot deep spaced 6 feet apart. The fan used to drive the air through them consumed 400-450 watts and ran 24 hours a day.  It was effective at the begining of summer, but by the middle of summer the output air temps had climbed to around 80 degrees, the green house temps were closer to 90 degrees.

I also read lots of feedback from individuals that were having problems with mold due to condensation in the earth tubes.  That is solvable, by making sure the tubes angle down, away from the house and you have some way to drain the moisture from them.

My mini-split heat pump on the other hand uses about 1/2 the energy per day to cool my house and output air temp is around 50-60 degrees an the temp in the house stays below 76.  I could get it cooler, but it would use more energy and I'm comfortable at that temp.

So the mini-split is more effective, for less energy and a LOT less work to install.  If you have to hire someone to dig the trenches, the mini-split is probably cheaper.

Sometimes the best solution is NOT the simplest solution.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key

March 19, 2021 6:05 PM, "Bobby Keeland via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a previous posting I said:
> <Unfortunately I’m still working on my solar
> <water heater, my battery backup for the solar
> <panels, earth tubes and many other
> <projects.

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools - Now Solar

> Without NET metering, solar has to rely on
> batteries for energy storage and that triples the cost of the system making
> it totally uneconomical.

I'm not sure that's true anymore.  PV prices are so cheap now that trippling your array size today is now affordable.  When I installed my array 10 years ago PV prices were 5 times as much as they are now, so installin g3x as many panels is STILL cheaper than what I paid.
Even adding batteries doesn't increase the price that much
An off-grid array today can produce as much energy for the same or lower price than a grid-tied from 10 years ago.

In fact I'm serious considering taking my house off grid because my power company is increasing the connection fees for solar customers.  Once they finish implementing all of the price increases, I'll end up paying $65 just for the priviledge of having a connection to the grid.  They are also changing the net metering from 1kwh in to 1kwh out at same price (basically banking energy for free) to wholesale price for energy pushed to the grid and retail price for energy pulled from the grid, basically I'll pay 10 cents a kwh to bank energy.

Switching to off-grid will cost me perhaps $7,000 more, but will save me at least $900 a year.  Less than 8 years to break even.
I have already purchased 12 more 315w PV panels and a 3kw off-grid inverter-charger which will work with my existing micro-inverters using AC-coupling.  I'm looking for a LiIon battery pack from a wrecked EV now.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key

Re: Took the Tesla Y plunge, no more Fossil Fools - Now Solar

The one thing that off-grid battery systems cannot do is store up the
DOUBLE solar energy available in the summer for use in the winter.  As a
result, the off-grid system has to be drastically overbuilt for the winter
and has wasted energy (investment) in the summer..

Bummer about the new rates and connect fees!  Bob

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 1:14 AM Peter VanDerWal via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Without NET metering, solar has to rely on
> > batteries for energy storage and that triples the cost of the system
> making
> > it totally uneconomical.
>
> I'm not sure that's true anymore.  PV prices are so cheap now that
> trippling your array size today is now affordable.  When I installed my
> array 10 years ago PV prices were 5 times as much as they are now, so
> installin g3x as many panels is STILL cheaper than what I paid.
> Even adding batteries doesn't increase the price that much
> An off-grid array today can produce as much energy for the same or lower
> price than a grid-tied from 10 years ago.
>
> In fact I'm serious considering taking my house off grid because my power
> company is increasing the connection fees for solar customers.  Once they
> finish implementing all of the price increases, I'll end up paying $65 just
> for the priviledge of having a connection to the grid.  They are also
> changing the net metering from 1kwh in to 1kwh out at same price (basically
> banking energy for free) to wholesale price for energy pushed to the grid
> and retail price for energy pulled from the grid, basically I'll pay 10
> cents a kwh to bank energy.
>
> Switching to off-grid will cost me perhaps $7,000 more, but will save me
> at least $900 a year.  Less than 8 years to break even.
> I have already purchased 12 more 315w PV panels and a 3kw off-grid
> inverter-charger which will work with my existing micro-inverters using
> AC-coupling.  I'm looking for a LiIon battery pack from a wrecked EV now.
>
> My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key

Re: Projects,

 Hi Peter and all,Earth tubes almost can't avoid moisture and molds making air versions dangerous to breathe air from them.  You really need a coolant based system, not air.Minisplits are a far better solution and some work directly from batteries now both in 48vdc and 365vdc nom.. I hear some variable AC ones can work from batteries as just rectified anyway for the variable speed inverter.I see a future where much of home high power loads run on 365vdc nominal directly from home solar, batteries and EVs packs both charging and using for home power with cheap DC-DCs pushing it where you want it to go in or out of the EV.And as a microgrid sharing bus.Though it's looking like V2G will be common next yr with VW and Lucid forcing Tesla, others to compete. .Jerry Dycus