Towed generator

Towed generator – I am thinking of building a towable genset for Ohm Ranger to make it a "range extended EV" for trips longer than my battery-only range. ...
Bill Vogan wrote: > I am thinking of building a towable genset for Ohm Ranger to make it a "range > extended EV" for trips longe...
Martin wrote: > 120-150 is a big range of amps so I chose 135. That would be 16.2kW. The > generator head probably isn't more than 85% eff...
What's missing in this thread is a comment from someone who has actually DONE this. I seem to recall that Bill Dube' experimented with a genset...
Bill Dube has, Sheer Pullen has tried it, KD has tried it, I believe Dave Battery Boy Hawkins helped someone try to pull it off, and I know countl...
It sounds like most people who have tried this have not really approached it in a calculated manner... no offense intended. Just throwing a...
Hello Fellow Trailer Designers, There sure are precious few photos - but I hope to get a working model put together this winter. My ultimate g...
Robert Brown wrote: > I'm thinking an ICE on the order of a Briggs or Honda V-Twin, 27 hp. > The next question is, "What size generat...
> If you want to at least try to make the genset pollute as little as > possible - use a small car engine. > Some little Geo Metro or H...
Seth Rothenberg wrote: >> If you want to at least try to make the genset pollute as little as >> possible - use a small car engine. ...
If you want to make your own gen set rather than buy one, a fork lift motor that has been converted to propane may be a good start. The Kom...
Bob, Do you have a trailer now that you could hook up, load up and go for a test drive? Do you monitor battery, not motor, amps? If so, yo...
Here's what I think ill do : Why pull a trailer, when a cargo carrier hitch can carry up to 500lbs. behind your vehicle. http://www.traile...
Regarding the carrier: my S10 is already overweight. I have to work on that, but for me it is a present reality. I also remain convinced that ...
Don't forget to factor the extra rolling resistance of two more wheels and aerodynamic drag of a seperate trailer into your consumption numbers. ...
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Jeff Miller <jeff@...> wrote: > Don't forget to factor the extra rolling resistance of two more wheels ...
Except that this time I will not be dissuaded by the nay-sayers, To the extent of the availability of funds, I have every intention of repro...
Here's the paper on it. http://www.acpropulsion.com/reports/Low_Emiss_Range_Ext.pdf ____________________________________...
Something like this? http://www.acpropulsion.com/vehicles/pages/hybrid%20trailer_JPG.htm _________________________________...
Bear in mind that I am a novice of this, but I don't see a problem with it. Do you plan on just plugging in the generator to your car's existing...
I have the same hope, a towed genset to enable "real time" charging/power generation on the road, at highway speed (55-60 mph). Simply p...
BBrown wrote: > I have the same hope, a towed genset to enable "real time" charging/power > generation on the road, at highway s...
I found his site a day or so ago, and have sent him an email. My high school French is embarrassingly deficient, mostly due to the fact that it...
A colleague of mine who is French might have located the page of interest. http://www.vehiculevert.org/index.php?lien=generatrice n.stow...
I just looked at the website below. THIS IS THE INFO I've been looking for! Now to bookmark it, re-read, re-read, and re-read it 'till I think I ...
I built an ultra-light low drag one wheeled trailer to carry my autocross tires. A variation on this theme could be useful... More at Cyclops ...
Bob, The generator that you would tow behind your EV has power losses, and then the charger, batteries, and EV drive have losses as well. Not...
Do you have any closeups of the u-joint? Randall Concord, NC ----- Original Message ----- From: "enganear" <enganear@...&g...
I will take pics this weekend. I actually have a new version with two small wheels close together. It would tow fine with just one, but is easie...
I think if we use 60Hz motors as generators, they are gonna be HUGE. We don't need AC either, so maybe there is something out there that fits o...
> This is going to the old series vs parallel hybrid debate. The key > advantage to the series hybrid is that the motor can run at its ...
On 20 Sep 2008 at 16:54, cowtown@... wrote: > The key > advantage to the series hybrid is that the motor can run at its > opti...
Right tool for the job implies that you are always aware of the job to be done. Ever take your EV to the store to get an item that turns out to ...
EVDL Administrator wrote: > The series hybrid advantage is not nearly as great as it was in, say, 1967 > or even 1970, when ICE cars had ...
I am glad the rest of you can type so fluently. That way I only have to type a few words and the subject continues. My comments. I would t...
Mark Grasser wrote: > I would think.... A series hybrid would start the ICE when the pack > became 50% discharged. It would run full outpu...
Lee, Good morning. Sounds like a button on the dash to select two modes of operation. Please put this on your list of projects. :-) Mark G...
On 21 Sep 2008 at 14:25, Lee Hart wrote: > > My advice is : use the best tool for the job. > > Yes. Ideally, consumers could c...
I was thinking about how to do this myself. My EV is a Corvair pickup truck. These are rear engined 6 cylinder vehicles. I was thinking about gett...
From: EVDL Administrator <evpost@...> > I was not arguing that we need wider choices of "hybrids" that use > only one fuel...
> Yes, you'd bypass the charger and just dump current into the > batteries with rectified generator output. If your batteries are >...
This is going to the old series vs parallel hybrid debate. The key advantage to the series hybrid is that the motor can run at its optimum ...
Maybe tie the generator throttle to your main throttle as an approximation? Or perhaps the throttle on the generator is pulled by a 12V solenoi...
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Bill Vogan <voganni@...> wrote: > > I am thinking of building a towable genset for Ohm Ranger to ma...
Mitch, I hear your comments, and for some they may be gospel. But.... More than 90% of the time, my 40 mile range is perfectly adequate. Right ...
Bob and All, I've used a genny as a range extender for the S10. Although people like Dave Stensland have built dedicated gas engine/generator sys...
I am also interested in this type of project. I have gone through the archives and been pretty unsatisfied with what I have found. Roland sayi...
Unless your charger charges your pack in about an hour to full charge, connecting a genset to the charger will not work. You have to supply ...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > Unless your charger charges your pack in about an hour to full charge, > connecting a genset to the charge...
On Sep 19, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Robert Brown wrote: >> > > > Again, the operative question is: > How do we make the connec...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > This is a bit simplistic, and does not consider efficiency. But the > conclusion can be drawn that it is goin...
Comments/questions below: glasers wrote: > I am also interested in this type of project. I have gone through the > archives and been p...
Hi i was wandering same thought . my problem is hill here it kills my batteries just leaving here . nothing left [amps ] for going into city . t...
Cool a home made Volt and 2 years early. -----Original Message----- From: Roland Wiench <ev_7@...> Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 1...
David Hrivnak wrote: > Cool a home made Volt and 2 years early. Check out the "Zero Carbon Car" at http://aztext.com/zero_carbon_...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Beebe" <rick@...> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@...> S...
On 18 Sep 2008 at 18:35, Bill Vogan wrote: > I am thinking of building a towable genset for Ohm Ranger to make it a "range > extend...
I have spend hours doing the search thing, LOTS of chatter about towed gensets. But have not found a single instance of exactly HOW to do the ...
You might look in to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_vzNH0nkX4 Neil Young converted a lincoln which includes a generator. Not sure o...
Hello Bill, Back in 1976 when I pick up my EV from the Electric Fuel Propulsion Company in Troy, Mich., They had a optional very stream line ...