Using 3 wires from a 4 wire NEMA 14-50 to a zivan NG3?

Using 3 wires from a 4 wire NEMA 14-50 to a zivan NG3?

Jay Summet

Re: Using 3 wires from a 4 wire NEMA 14-50 to a zivan NG3?

David Nelson-5
That is what I did with my adapter. I left the the neutral pin out of the
plug so I can plug into either a 14-30 or 14-50 outlet.

On Saturday, August 18, 2012, Jay Summet wrote:

David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328
http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com
http://www.levforum.com

Re: Using 3 wires from a 4 wire NEMA 14-50 to a zivan NG3?

Hello Jay,

Does not matter.  If the neutral pin on the main plug on the EV does not
have a wire connected to it, you can still use a connector and 4 wire cable
with a neutral.

I use the L1,L2,Grd and the Neutral going to a 4-wire box lug power block or
call a large wire terminal block. The L1,L2 and Grd cable is connected to
this power block goes to the charger.

Note: Some chargers can run off either 240 or 120 vac, so the neutral is
available for this option.

I also install a 50 amp 2-pole chassis mounted GFI circuit breaker on the
charger circuit so as to protect you if you are using non-GFI protected
circuits.

Now that there is a Neutral available, there are other options you can use
the neutral for.  I tap off the L1,L2,Grd and Neutral which goes to a on
chassis circuit breaker connection bars which holds the same type of circuit
breakers for your home.

I use several circuits of 120 vac for cooling fans for the charger, motor
and controller which also uses a 120 vac water cooling pump. Also three 120
vac electric heaters which either run on commercial power for pre-heating or
from a onboard inverter that runs off four parallel DC-DC converters and a
inverter alternator that is also parallel with the converters which provides
regenerative braking directly to the accessories.

Re: Using 3 wires from a 4 wire NEMA 14-50 to a zivan NG3?

Jay Summet

Re: Using 3 wires from a 4 wire NEMA 14-50 to a zivan NG3?

Dennis Miles
Gentlemen I won't speak to British or European or anywhere outside of the
USA because I know my knowledge limitations, but, in the USA if you
carefully look at the main panel for electrical distribution that is fed by
the meter of the utility company and feeds the "Main" you will see there
are breakers or fuses feeding the "Hot or line 1 / line 2 wires, and a bus
bar connecting all the return / common wires, and another bus bar for all
the "Ground" wires and they both are connected to the metal backing plate
in the "Panel Box" in traveling to the various outlets the common is
insulated all the way as are the Hot Line or Lines, but the green or bare
copper ground is connected to each conduit or metal box or metal cover to
assure any shorts from lone to metal box or cover are discharged to prevent
shock upon human contact and help assure the fuse blowing or breaker
opening the line and if the breaker is a "GFCI" then whenever the supply to
line or lines are unbalanced and the difference is not exactly the amount
being returned by the neutral (By about 15%) again power is cut by the
breaker to minimize damage or injury.
*Dennis Lee Miles*   (863)944-9913 (call noon to midnight Eastern time)
*[hidden email]*
*Offering a 12 day class Sept. 10 to 22, 2012 **in Central Florida, see:
ElectricVehicleTechnicalinstitute.COM<http://www.electricvehicletechnicalinstitute.com/>
*