Using a Jumper Cable to Limp Home

martinwinlow
Hi,

Has anyone any experience of using a jumper cable as a means of by-
passing a faulty controller to limp home?

I imagined just hooking up the motor directly to one or more cells (or
batteries) in the pack and getting about 10mph on the flat just for
emergencies.  I guess this would only work with clutch-based
conversions as it would then be easy to spin up the motor on say 12V
or so and then it would drive a bit like an ICE with a stuck throttle
- you'd just engage first or second gear and release the clutch
gently.  You would have to have a means of monitoring the cell voltage
otherwise it would be easy to damage them.

Of course if you had the tops of the cels to hand from the drivers
seat you could temporarily attach the jumper to a series of cells to
get higher speed/more power.  I'm not advocating this as it sounds
rather dangerous.  Just wondering really.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

Re: Using a Jumper Cable to Limp Home

Barry Oppenheim
In my car I keep a spare 2-0 cable, about 4 feet long, with universal lugs just for this reason. Hopefully I'll never have use for it.

Barry Oppenheim
New Hope, PA
www.JustAnotherEVConversion.blogspot.com

Re: Using a Jumper Cable to Limp Home

Stephen Chapman
I know that one of the list members uses a contactor to bypass the
controller at wide open throttle to give a last ditch method of getting
home.  Sounds exciting!
Stephen Chapman

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my car I keep a spare 2-0 cable, about 4 feet long, with universal lugs
> just for this reason. Hopefully I'll never have use for it.
>
> Barry Oppenheim
> New Hope, PA
> www.JustAnotherEVConversion.blogspot.com

philgalati2004
A set of jumper cables or at least one jumper cable is my recommendation
to all the people I Talk to or help with their cars.

Besides that you should have  a couple of other things with you at All times

1. A tool box - with std. tools for an emergency
2. Electrical tape - I actually like the silicone tape that sticks to itself
 It is a lot
    Thicker and makes a good seal
3. A fire extinguisher
4. Wire cutters - Use a good size. The ones on large electrical pliers are
also good
5. Baking Soda - for dumping on battery acid in your EV and out
6. Rope - You never know when you will need a tow
7. Rubber gloves
8. Enclosed Safety glasses
9. paper towels or rags.

If you do jump a battery because it just blew up you will have acid all over
and large holes in the battery. You may also have melted terminals or posts.
The first thing to do is shut your system down. Disconnect your Anderson
connectors
suppling power to the system. Put on your gloves. Grab the fire extinguisher
and
keep it handy. Slowly look at the situation and see what cables that are
still attached
where they should be. If you have cables blown off of the battery, isolate
them immediately.
Dropping one of those cables in the wrong spot could cause a short and fire,
instantly.
Clean off the end of the effected cable and wrap it in electrical or
silicone tape.
Check for other cables blown off. If there aren't any, get your jumper cable
and jump the
battery that just blew. Tuck your wires neatly in the battery box. You
should be able to go
on your way safely. As soon as you get home make sure you clean everything
up.

I hope this helps you out.

 Phil Galati
NJ EV Conversions
10 Delmar Ave.
Morris Plains, NJ 07950-1731
[hidden email]
http://sites.google.Com/site/njevconv/HOME
973.224.2619
NEW POR-15 RUST PREVENTIVE PAINT IN SPRAY CANS
TROJAN Batteries 50% OFF

Re: Using a Jumper Cable to Limp Home

This sounds rather hazardous to me.  You'd have to spin up the motor with
the trans in neutral, which is risky with a series motor.

If you're expecting a controller failure, it might be safer to have 2 or 3
extra contactors and a few appropriate cables on board, so you could hack up
a quick 2- or 3-step contactor controller.  Even a crude battery tapping
system would work in a pinch.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not

On 6/24/2010 10:06 AM, Martin WINLOW wrote:
> Has anyone any experience of using a jumper cable as a means of by-
> passing a faulty controller to limp home?

I've done this for testing and emergencies. Yes, it works. :-) And yes,
it is dangerous. :-(

One hazard is that most automotive jumper cables are really badly made.
They are meant to carry a few hundred amps for a few *seconds*. They
quickly overheat and fail if asked to carry even 100 amps continuously.

After burning up a set of jumper cables, I took to carrying a wrench
(with handle insulated with heat-shrink tubing) and a length of 2/0
cable with a 5/16" ring terminal on each end. I used that to bypass a
blown battery or other failed components in my younger "deformative" days.

Re: Using a Jumper Cable to Limp Home

Bob Rice-2
   Good idea Barry! I've limped home on 30 volts DIRECTLY applied to the
motor, by reconnecting cables enough in the Rabbit that I could ball up my
jacket and so it would push the contacter for the controller on when the
hood was closed!Motor spun up, and we were off, dashing through the snow at
20 mph!Good old clutch and 5 speed bunny tranny!DAMN! It was COLD that
nite!! BUT Start low, voltage wise, 12 volts will hardly move ya, you'll
need at least 24, 30 volts worth and Make DAMN sure yur in neutral BEFORE
connecting things! There have been ,back in trolley daze of motormen
FORGETTING to shut off the controller and when they reset the pole on the
wire having to chase down the car !IF they didn't hang on to the pole rope?
You Trolley Museum menbers know what I'm talking about, same for an EV?
"Protect Against Uncontrolled Movement" to quote an Amtrak book of rules<g>!

   Oh when you blow up a baddery you can jumper it out and get home, GENTLY
with 6 volts less pack!

     Sea Ya

     Bob........and the Gulf bleeds on.

Re: Using a Jumper Cable to Limp Home

Barry Oppenheim
Stephen,

You're correct.  It would be exciting.  Too exciting!

I misread the original post.  The emergency cable I have is for bypassing a
bad battery in an emergency.  I would never use it for bypassing a bad
controller except for troubleshooting.   In fact I had my controller
malfunction (loose wire) and strand me once.  Didn't even think about
bypassing it with "all on" and using the clutch.

In reality even if an EV is stranded, because of range considerations it is
probably never too far from home.  I actually have tow bar brackets attached
to my EV.  The time it broke down I towed it with my F150.  Also useful if I
want to take it to EV meetings that our out of range.

Barry

Re: Using a Jumper Cable to Limp Home

Bob Rice-2
  Hi EVerybody;

  As David said I was ALMOST ready to set up a series parallel contacter
setup in the trunk to be able to limp home back in my EARLY Squalid State
Rapture daze! Damn thing was ALWAYS killing a Carge circuit and it spent
more time in transit to CA or OR than running the Rabbit!Like so I could
clutch and shift out of the intersection without pushing, AND get home? My
Pete Senkowsky rebuilt Rapture has run just PERFECTLY for the last 2-3
years. He weatherized it, and with it's Hall Effect throttle, were still
honeymooning.

   Bob