VW shaft adapter help

jonglauser
I did a bug conversion a couple years ago.
http://www.evalbum.com/2082

Recently the shaft adapter broke. Upon dismantling it I found that the
splines on the adapter have worn down enough to not grip on the
transmission shaft. I have doubts about the amount of torque the
little D&D 6.7" motor is putting on the coupler.

The coupler is they type sold by e-volks.com as can be seen here:
http://www.e-volks.com/images/PICT0023b.jpg

I need to find a solution other than simply replacing the coupler
every couple years. Any ideas as to why it's wearing out, or what I
can do? I would think that someone else might have encountered this
problem with the number of kits that have been sold and the popularity
of the old VWs.

-Jon Glauser
http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
http://www.evalbum.com/555

Re: VW shaft adapter help

martinwinlow
Jon,

This has come up before and the consensus of opinion (one I share) is
that with a direct coupling there needs to be some method of shock
absorption in the coupler.  If there is none, every time you
accelerate or decelerate or every minor defect in the road - like a
pot hole or bump - causes a significant shock to be transmitted down
the drive train to the motor armature.  This is a big ol' lump and has
considerable inertia, the coupler will have to transmit all the shock
to the armature.  This puts enormous stress on the splines and
eventually they fail.

There is a photo of a simple way of eliminating this problem using a
stripped down clutch driven plate as part of a coupler here... http://www.winlow.co.uk/wychwood.co.uk/EV_Conversion_-_Part_2.html
  (about 5 down, dated 23/02/09).  It is straightforward to make and
provides ample shock absorption.  Another way to do it would be to
have one of those rubber  type universal joints at some point in the
drive train.  I expect there are others.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk
On 14 Aug 2010, at 04:41, Jon Glauser wrote:

> I did a bug conversion a couple years ago.
> http://www.evalbum.com/2082
>
> Recently the shaft adapter broke. Upon dismantling it I found that the
> splines on the adapter have worn down enough to not grip on the
> transmission shaft. I have doubts about the amount of torque the
> little D&D 6.7" motor is putting on the coupler.
>
> The coupler is they type sold by e-volks.com as can be seen here:
> http://www.e-volks.com/images/PICT0023b.jpg
>
> I need to find a solution other than simply replacing the coupler
> every couple years. Any ideas as to why it's wearing out, or what I
> can do? I would think that someone else might have encountered this
> problem with the number of kits that have been sold and the popularity
> of the old VWs.
>

> -Jon Glauser
> http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/555

Re: VW shaft adapter help

Peter Shabino

Is your clutch adapter steel and does it look like the internal splines had started to rust?

Had a similar issue on a GT3000 VR4 the right angle gearbox that drove the rear wheels would get moisture in the spline connection (not sealed from the outside). That would cause the spline shaft to develop small amounts of surface rust. Soon as you put any force on the shaft the surface rust would be impacted and fall off. Over time this wore the shaft down until it stripped out.

Not sure if that is your root cause as well or not just an idea to look at.

Later,
Wire

My projects:
http://www.wire2wire.org/

> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:41:22 -0600
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [EVDL] VW shaft adapter help
>
> I did a bug conversion a couple years ago.
> http://www.evalbum.com/2082
>
> Recently the shaft adapter broke. Upon dismantling it I found that the
> splines on the adapter have worn down enough to not grip on the
> transmission shaft. I have doubts about the amount of torque the
> little D&D 6.7" motor is putting on the coupler.
>
> The coupler is they type sold by e-volks.com as can be seen here:
> http://www.e-volks.com/images/PICT0023b.jpg
>
> I need to find a solution other than simply replacing the coupler
> every couple years. Any ideas as to why it's wearing out, or what I
> can do? I would think that someone else might have encountered this
> problem with the number of kits that have been sold and the popularity
> of the old VWs.
>

> -Jon Glauser
> http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/555

Re: VW shaft adapter help

mark at evie-systems
Contact Wayne at ev-blue: electricblue@embarqmail.com

http://ev-blue.com/

He makes these using the original clutch plate, and keeps the springs / absorbers in place.

mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.