Vancouver_Is.ca needs EV repairers> Wooo ...

Vancouver_Is.ca needs EV repairers> Wooo ...

https://www.collisionrepairmag.com/news/21893-salt-spring-island-is-in-need-of-electric-vehicle-repairers
Salt Spring Island is in need of electric vehicle repairers
collision repair
May 31, 2019  Elizabeth Sargeant

[image
https://www.collisionrepairmag.com/images/34851742134_66b6b7b0e1_b.jpg
]

Toronto, Ontario - May 31, 2019 -- Sitting between Vancouver Island and
British Columbia's mainland,  Salt Spring Island is home to about 10,000
people and the highest density of electric vehicles in Canada.

With one EV for every 100 Salt Springers, the island is home to four times
as many EVs as PEI, despite being home to a 10th of its population.

The even more mysterious bit about this EV dense population is that the
repair shops seem to have no experience dealing with them.

“We’ve never dealt with them,” said Richard Murakami, owner of Murakas
Collision. “The only time I’ve ever dealt with an electric car is to get a
dent out of the door”.

Murakami is approaching his 80th birthday and has been in the collision
repair industry in Salt Spring “forever.” And despite the several collision
repair shops found online claiming to be located in Salt Spring, Murakami
says there’s only two operating, and both shops are unfamiliar with the
mechanics of an EV.

“Most people with electric cars here take them to Victoria or Duncan to get
them fixed. That’s mostly where they get them from,” said Murakami.

Despite EV certifications allowing shops to draw in business from places
like Salt Spring, not every auto repairer feels the potential benefits
outweigh the costs.

According to one Duncan repairer,  Josh Macadam, owner of Aurora Auto, his
own investment in EV repair training has yet to pay off.

“It’s a very big endeavour for a private shop to take on those kinds of jobs
because of the expense of the equipment they are required to use,” said
Macadam.
“You’re looking at tens of thousands of dollars just for diagnostic
equipment.”

A standard trip from Salt Spring to Victoria is 25 minutes by Ferry, but a
full hour and a half by car. The options are limited, but EV drivers still
persist.

“Well, I don’t blame them,” said Murakami. “People will do anything for
their car. And an electric car? Wooo you just plug it in and away you go."
[© collisionrepairmag.com]

[dated]
http://transitionsaltspring.com/solutions/electric-vehicles/
Electric Vehicles - Transition Salt Spring
May 4, 2019 - Salt Spring Island, Canada's green magnet, claims to have the
highest concentration of electric vehicle owners in North America. And it
stands to reason. The island, off the B.C. coastline, is just 27 kilometres
end to end. A round trip is well within reach of even the EVs with the most
limited range on the market ...

+
https://www.nepalitimes.com/opinion/toxic-bubble/
Toxic bubble
May 30, 2019  Nepal  Nearly 38% of this air pollution is from vehicle
emissions; other sources include dust from roads, excavations, debris of
demolished buildings, construction sites, brick kilns, open burning of
plastic and solid wastes, inefficient hospital incinerators, rice
husk/coal/wood-burning industries, crushers and mixers, asphalt plants and
metal and automobile repair units ... All electric vehicles are now also
exempt from annual road tax ... More than 500 electric cars and 1,500
electric scooters now use the Valley’s roads. About 12,000 e-rickshaws ply
in Tarai towns ...
https://www.nepalitimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/page-8-9j-1.jpg

Re: Vancouver_Is.ca needs EV repairers> Wooo ...

> From: brucedp5 <[hidden email]>
>
> A standard trip from Salt Spring to Victoria is 25 minutes by Ferry, but a
> full hour and a half by car. The options are limited, but EV drivers still
> persist.

That's a bit of a strange way of saying things. Salt Spring is an island; you can't get here without boarding a ferry!

The trip to Victoria is a 35 minute ferry, followed by about 25 minutes by car or an hour by bus.

The trip to Vancouver is between two and three and a half hours of ferry — depending on which route you take and on how many other islands the boat stops at — and then about 45 minutes of driving, or about 70 minutes by bus and light rail.

That aside, it's a decent article. Jim Standen, the organizer of the informal electric car club, deserves a lot of the credit; he arranges public displays and EV enthusiast gatherings. With so many electrics, parking protocol is down with the ICE folks, and there are lots of charging stations. There's almost always one available when you need it.

Jan