Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
It was time to switch from our supposed "B pack" to our "A pack" of used floodies.  Out of curiousity, I decided to time (and record ... time lapse) the effort.  

One of the advantages of a small pack with relatively accessible batts: hot swapping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfQcihsvE0

OK, so maybe "hot" is not quite the correct adjective.  "Tepid swap?"

Still much faster than recharging!  I envision a pit crew, and regular drills to get the time down even lower...

Next project is using the LED pack monitor to rank the "A pack" batteries from best to worst capacity and replace the weakest ones with the best ones from the "B pack" (which we've already ranked).  

cheers
Darin

http://forkenswift.com
http://www.evalbum.com/1146
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

jonglauser
Very nice! I'll save that one for show and tell!

-Jon Glauser
http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
http://www.evalbum.com/555

_______________________________________________
General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

Mike Willmon-3
In reply to this post by Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
That my friend is way cool.  Much faster than charging!

I wish I could do that at the track with the Pinto.  But since it only takes about 20 minutes on a 240V 50 amp feed that is probably the faster way to go than switching the 60 Genesis batteries ;-)

Still this is nice documentation of the ease with which you can swap a pack.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darin at- forkenswift.com" <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, August 15, 2008 10:36 am
Subject: [EVDL]  Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack
To: [hidden email]

>
> It was time to switch from our supposed "B pack" to our "A pack" of
> usedfloodies.  Out of curiousity, I decided to time (and record ...
> time lapse)
> the effort.  
>
> One of the advantages of a small pack with relatively accessible
> batts: hot
> swapping!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfQcihsvE0
>
> OK, so maybe "hot" is not quite the correct adjective.  "Tepid swap?"
>
> Still much faster than recharging!  I envision a pit crew, and regular
> drills to get the time down even lower...
>
> Next project is using the LED pack monitor to rank the "A pack"
> batteriesfrom best to worst capacity and replace the weakest ones
> with the best ones
> from the "B pack" (which we've already ranked).  
>
> cheers
> Darin
>
> http://forkenswift.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/1146
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Video%3A-%22hot-
> swapping%22-the-ForkenSwift-pack-tp19003590p19003590.html
> Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive
> at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
> Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
> Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
> Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
>

_______________________________________________
General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

Nikki Bloomfield
Mike,

Great to see it made it to Alaska. Better hope they get to the next  
part of the trip before mid November! ;)

Regards,

Nikki.


On 15 Aug 2008, at 21:16, MIKE WILLMON wrote:

> That my friend is way cool.  Much faster than charging!
>
> I wish I could do that at the track with the Pinto.  But since it  
> only takes about 20 minutes on a 240V 50 amp feed that is probably  
> the faster way to go than switching the 60 Genesis batteries ;-)
>
> Still this is nice documentation of the ease with which you can swap  
> a pack.
>
> Mike
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Darin at- forkenswift.com" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Friday, August 15, 2008 10:36 am
> Subject: [EVDL]  Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack
> To: [hidden email]
>
>>
>> It was time to switch from our supposed "B pack" to our "A pack" of
>> usedfloodies.  Out of curiousity, I decided to time (and record ...
>> time lapse)
>> the effort.
>>
>> One of the advantages of a small pack with relatively accessible
>> batts: hot
>> swapping!
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfQcihsvE0
>>
>> OK, so maybe "hot" is not quite the correct adjective.  "Tepid swap?"
>>
>> Still much faster than recharging!  I envision a pit crew, and  
>> regular
>> drills to get the time down even lower...
>>
>> Next project is using the LED pack monitor to rank the "A pack"
>> batteriesfrom best to worst capacity and replace the weakest ones
>> with the best ones
>> from the "B pack" (which we've already ranked).
>>
>> cheers
>> Darin
>>
>> http://forkenswift.com
>> http://www.evalbum.com/1146
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Video%3A-%22hot-
>> swapping%22-the-ForkenSwift-pack-tp19003590p19003590.html
>> Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive
>> at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
>> Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
>> Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
>> Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
> Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
> Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
> Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
In reply to this post by Mike Willmon-3
Thanks, Mike.

Faster than charging, but a *whole lot* slower than your Pinto, judging by the YouTube vids!

Darin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

EVDL Administrator
In reply to this post by Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
On 15 Aug 2008 at 11:33, Darin at- forkenswift.com wrote:

> Still much faster than recharging!  I envision a pit crew, and regular
> drills to get the time down even lower...

They used to do this at some of the APS Electrics races in the 1990s.  
Watching a pit crew change out a battery pack was kind of like watching
ballet.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not
reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my
email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


_______________________________________________
General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

Justin 'Dj' Scott
That can't be, David... something tells me I'd be glued to the edge of my seat watching a pit crew change the battery pack... whereas I get bored and fall asleep at the ballet. :)

I see where you're coming from, but the joke still had to be made. :D

cheers,
dj

EVDL Administrator(evpost) wrote:
> They used to do this at some of the APS Electrics races in the 1990s.  
> Watching a pit crew change out a battery pack was kind of like watching
> ballet.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

_______________________________________________
General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video: "hot swapping" the ForkenSwift pack

Jeff Major
Hi Justin,

David was referring to the Formula Lightning or University Spec series.  So it was a very fast ballet.  Typical battery exchange was less than 20 seconds.  Oklahoma U was the fastest, often less than 15 seconds, IIRC.  That was 1300 pounds of lead acid out and 1300 pounds reloaded by 6 or 8 student pit crew guys.  Sometimes 3 times a race.  Was on the order of time to refuel a gas burner Cup car.  Pit lane during those electric races was quite busy.

Too bad the series ended.  Due to lack of interest, I guess.

Regards,

Jeff M


--- On Sat, 8/16/08, Justin Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That can't be, David... something tells me I'd be
> glued to the edge of my seat watching a pit crew change the
> battery pack... whereas I get bored and fall asleep at the
> ballet. :)
>
> I see where you're coming from, but the joke still had
> to be made. :D
>
> cheers,
> dj
>
> EVDL Administrator(evpost) wrote:
> > They used to do this at some of the APS Electrics
> races in the 1990s.  
> > Watching a pit crew change out a battery pack was kind
> of like watching
> > ballet.
> >
> > David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> > EVDL Administrator
>



     

_______________________________________________
General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/
Usage guidelines: http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv
Archives: http://evdl.org/archive/
Subscription options: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev