Voltage spikes

We live in an area with a fair number of thunderstorms and we see the
lights blink a couple of times during a storm.  I have some appliances on
surge protectors which leads to:

1)  How well are the home charging stations able to handle voltage spikes
and not transmit the voltage to a pack?

2)  Should an EV be disconnected from the grid during a thunderstorm?

3)  Has anyone on this list examined the schematics for the various at home
charging stations to try to determine the better ones?

Re: Voltage spikes

I have never seen a EVSE with any serious spike protection.  Its up to the
car.
I live in South Florida, We have a lot of severe thunder storms, My leaf has
survived 3 years with charging on the driveway..
If you worry about things like this get whole house surge protection.
David

Re: Voltage spikes

UL requires EVSEs to go through pretty serious surge testing, 6000V 3300A
if I recall correctly. All the EVSEs I've torn down have MOVs installed.

The vehicle has additional MOVs and protection.

--
www.electric-lemon.com

Re: Voltage spikes

This is interesting, worrying about a lightning strike!  I'm more worried about the redneck smoking a cigarette while fueling his ICE :-)

--
www.electric-lemon.com

Re: Voltage spikes

Hello Rod

The neighbor’s tree got struck and I lost a cable modem about the same time
which raises the question when buying an EV.

I asked a Bolt salesman the other day about it and he did not know if the
charging system was protected.

Just thought I’d ask the experts herein.