Warcharging

mos6507-2
I've been meaning to ask.  Have people gone on road trips by recharging for free by running a cable to your first-floor motel room under the door?  The management might get upset if they saw the cord.  Also, one time my car battery died (regular car here) and it was in my apartment's parking structure.  I couldn't find any outlets, but it had a lightbulb socket with one of those ring-shaped flourescents screwed into it.  So what I did was get one of those adapters that has a socket pass-through and a110 outlet on either end.  Then I ran a long extension cord from that up through the piping over to my car to a charger.  I'm thinking that trick might work for a lot of public parking structures.  For curiosity's sake I just took a look around my office building's parking structure and there happens to be a standard 110v outlet at bumper level only feet away from where I normally park.  Looks like only a few of these per floor, related to a red
 fire-alarm-looking box.  It's got to be a pretty standard regulatory thing.  It could be a trick to enable you to get free charges at work or shopping malls without a formal charging station.  Any anecdotes about "warcharging" from the field?

----- Original Message ----OK out of my dream world. Sigh! But you catch my drift? The EAA could work
on this? Would really get the ball rolling would be some sort of tax
incentive? What's in it for Tom down at True Value Hardware to put in /out
120/240 volt outlets, other than good will, I mean TAX breaks? Something
that would show up in HIS bottom line.Chicken an' egg thing here, but if you
build them, or place them, people will come. ONE EV in town, so there is no
big stampede to put in public outlets.

Re: Warcharging

EVDL Administrator
I confess to having done a bit of this when I was driving my Comuta-Car many
years ago.  One of the parking decks I parked in about once a month had 120v
receptacles at about bumper level, and it was fairly easy to park so that
the cord wasn't too visible.  That was nice to know a couple of times when I
wasn't so sure I still had enough amp-hours to get home.

However, the C-car's charger was on the modest side in its demands.  Most
"real" EV chargers don't sip, and it's not too neighborly to trip their
breaker.

In general, I wouldn't want to see too much of this kind of bibberonage
(look it up ;-) unless you go through the channels and get permission.  Some
people, especially the anti-EV crowd, might be inclined to equate it with
driving off without paying at the self-service gasoline station.  I don't
think that "petty thief" is a label we want EV hobbyists to get stuck with.

As for using plug bodies in lights, be aware that most of these sockets and
adapters are rated for only 6 or 8 amps.  Seems kind of impolite to burn
down the carport you're parking in.  ;-)

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Warcharging

From: Glenn Saunders
> Have people gone on road trips by recharging for free by running
> a cable to your first-floor motel room under the door?  The
> management might get upset if they saw the cord.

Most motels in the northern USA have outdoor convenience outlets in the parking lot for their patron's use. They are commonly used to plug in block heaters in the winter for diesels and other hard-to-start vehicles. They also get used by people with RVs or other vehicles that need "shore power" while parked. Just ask at the desk and they'll tell you where they are at. I've used them before, and never been told "no" or had any charge for their use.

> one time my car battery died... in my apartment's parking structure.
> I couldn't find any outlets, but it had a lightbulb socket...
> I got one of those adapters that has a socket pass-through and a
> 110v outlet on either end.  Then I ran a long extension cord from
> that up through the piping over to my car to a charger...
> that trick might work for a lot of public parking structures.

Yes, I had to do this at an apartment where I lived. It was an old building, and didn't have any outside receptacles.

> I just took a look around my office building's parking structure
> and there happens to be a standard 110v outlet at bumper level
> only feet away from where I normally park... It's got to be a
> pretty standard regulatory thing.

The National Electric Code requires outside AC receptacles on every building. However, enforcement is spotty, and some communities either ignore it or choose not to accept that particular regulation.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James

Re: Warcharging

Richard Acuti
Warcharging. I like the sound of that.

I do it every day. I commute to the Metrorail parking garage and of course
there are 10 amp maintenance outlets all over the garage. I asked the
station manager about plugging in and I was told to contact the regional
parking garage manager.

Long story, short- I called that guy about a dozen times, left 3 different
contact phone numbers, email addresses etc. He never returned my calls.
Finally I left one final message that said that I was just going to "do it"
and if he did not want me to, that he could call me or email me. That was
months ago and I've never been hassled. The garage has a "code enforcer"
that drives around and she's never touched my car. If the garage came under
new management or something, I'd gladly pay a fee to use the outlets.

I drive almost 30 miles to my reserve unit once a month and I plug in at our
big garage that houses our Humvees and 2.5 trucks. I've got 3 guys in my
unit asking me to show them how to build their own EV's.

Also, as I drive the car around town people notice the lack of "Beetle
burble" from my car and get excited when they find out that it's electric.
I've had a few local business owners/managers tell me straight up that if
I'm in the area, and need a boost that I can cheerfully plug into an outlet
on their wall.

And what's this about "real" EV chargers don't sip? ;-)  I intentionally
bought a Zivan NG3 so that I could charge anywhere without tripping anyone's
breaker. I find that the freedom of opportunity charging beats "dump
charging" at home.

Rich A.
(Habitual Warcharger)

Re: Warcharging

Jeff Shanab
I disagree with the idea of war charging as we EV'rs have an image to
protect. I even don't like asking unless it is a business arrangement
where I pay for it.

Re: Warcharging

kEVs
I don;'t agree with war charging either but I have
Oppotunity charged at many business in my town.  just
ask most are happy to let you charge and it also works
as EVangilism. every one is interested in your EV if
you let them know about it. many even want to drive it
and some have even been converted.

But stealing is stealing and no one likes a theif.

--- Jeff Shanab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I disagree with the idea of war charging as we EV'rs
> have an image to
> protect. I even don't like asking unless it is a
> business arrangement
> where I pay for it.

Re: Warcharging

Jim Coate
It has been a couple of years, but several times I took my first S-10 EV
(a conversion) on road trips across part of MA... I found charging
worked out easier at a bed & breakfast, rather than a typical motel.
B&B's tend to be Ma & Pa operations to begin with... chat with Ma,
explain a potential stay-over but looking for a charge, she sees no
problem and passes the phone to Pa who talks about dryer plugs with me.
Then surprise 'em when a "normal" looking vehicle pulls up <g>.

Also once by word of mouth I was referred to an automotive recycling
facility (aka junkyard) in the needed area and called ahead to make
arrangements to use their welding outlet. Worked fine. May have helped
that I passed some of the time there wandering out to the back 40 to
find a truck similar to mine and purchase a few minor trim bits I had
been needing :-)

I wasn't far enough north to have block heater outlets in typical
parking lots, and I wouldn't trust random outlets for coke machines etc.
to have enough spare capacity for a fast enough charge to be useful.

Glenn Saunders wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask.  Have people gone on road trips by recharging for free by running a cable to your first-floor motel room under the door?  The management might get upset if they saw the cord.  Also, one time my car battery died (regular car here) and it was in my apartment's parking structure.  I couldn't find any outlets, but it had a lightbulb socket with one of those ring-shaped flourescents screwed into it.  So what I did was get one of those adapters that has a socket pass-through and a110 outlet on either end.  Then I ran a long extension cord from that up through the piping over to my car to a charger.  I'm thinking that trick might work for a lot of public parking structures.  For curiosity's sake I just took a look around my office building's parking structure and there happens to be a standard 110v outlet at bumper level only feet away from where I normally park.  Looks like only a few of these per floor, related to a red
>  fire-alarm-looking box.  It's got to be a pretty standard regulatory thing.  It could be a trick to enable you to get free charges at work or shopping malls without a formal charging station.  Any anecdotes about "warcharging" from the field?

--
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak's
1997 Solectria Force