Warp 9 motor used as generator

Andrew Wood-13
Does anyone have the specs for a Warp 9 or ADC 4001 when used as a
generator such as max current and what voltage you get at what RPM.

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Zeke Yewdall
being a series motor design, it's pretty difficult to make them into
generators, which is probably why they don't publish specs for that.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Andrew Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone have the specs for a Warp 9 or ADC 4001 when used as a
> generator such as max current and what voltage you get at what RPM.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Andrew Wood-13
I need a gen of about that physical size.  Can anyone recommend a good
alternative please

[hidden email] wrote:

> Andrew why on earth would you want to use it as a generator?
>

> Pete :)
>
> These are best used as drive motors. These also have advanced brushes
> for traction motive rather than generating mode. If you do use it for
> a generator you will need to put the brushes back to neutral or retard
> them if you are exclusively going to use it as a generator. I am sure
> other cheaper fork lift traction motors would be better used as a
> generator than an expensive Warp 9
>

> Pete
> On Aug 12, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Andrew Wood wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have the specs for a Warp 9 or ADC 4001 when used as a
>> generator such as max current and what voltage you get at what RPM.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andrew

> For more information please visit
> http://www.messagelabs.com/email______________________________________________________________________

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

KilowattA798
In a message dated 8/14/2009 4:05:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> Subj: Re: [EVDL] Warp 9 motor used as generator
> Date:8/14/2009 4:05:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:[hidden email]
> Reply-to:[hidden email]
> To:[hidden email]
> Received from Internet:
>

> I need a gen of about that physical size.  Can anyone recommend a good
> alternative please

Have you looked at  (230 volt) generators used on Junk Yard magnets?
Dennis Berube

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Morgan LaMoore
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Andrew Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I need a gen of about that physical size.  Can anyone recommend a good
> alternative please

How about a 9" Kostov SepEx motor?

What's your energy source? If it's an ICE being used for a generator,
you can probably get away with using no controller, just hooking up
the armature and field to your battery pack.

Connected like this, the motor will try to maintain a constant speed.
If it's spinning slower, it will act like a motor; if it's spinning
faster, it will act like a generator. You can put a (big, big,
heatsinked) diode in series with the armature to make sure it only
acts like a generator, not a motor.

If you give Kostov your requirements, they should be able to choose
the field winding to get the right speed.

With this sort of setup, the voltage will determine how hard it fights
to maintain its target RPM, but the target RPM won't change. (It might
change somewhat with temperature, though.)

http://kostov-motors.com/tractionmotors/kostovlineofevmotors/

If you're trying to use this generator at varying speeds (like for
regen), you'd need a SepEx controller, which is hard to find for high
power.

-Morgan LaMoore

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Andrew Wood-13
How easy would it be to convert them to AC?

Lee Hart wrote:

> Andrew Wood wrote:
>> I need a gen of about that physical size.  Can anyone recommend a
>> good alternative please
>
> I have two DC generators that might be of interest. They are
> Westinghouse motor-generators -- a  3-phase AC 240v/480v 60hz motor
> directly coupled to a DC 240vdc generator. The smaller one is rated
> 7.5kw continuous; the larger one at 15kw continuous duty.
>
> The generators have both series and shunt fields. The shunt field is
> used with a rheostat in series to adjust the output, exactly like the
> generator in an older car or truck. The series field is for when you
> run it as a motor.
>
> These units were used for emergency power in a 3M plant. When AC was
> present, it ran the AC motor, and the DC generator charged a big bank
> of batteries. When AC power failed, the DC generator was run as a
> motor, to spin the AC motor as an alternator, and generate AC power to
> keep things going in the plant.
>
> The smaller one is about 10" diameter x 24" long. The larger one is
> 10" diameter x 30" long. The smaller one is $200, and the larger one
> $300 plus shipping if you're interested.

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Andrew Wood-13
Do you know of a supplier?

[hidden email] wrote:

> In a message dated 8/14/2009 4:05:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
>> Subj: Re: [EVDL] Warp 9 motor used as generator
>> Date:8/14/2009 4:05:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time
>> From:[hidden email]
>> Reply-to:[hidden email]
>> To:[hidden email]
>> Received from Internet:
>>

>> I need a gen of about that physical size.  Can anyone recommend a good
>> alternative please
>>

> Have you looked at  (230 volt) generators used on Junk Yard magnets?
> Dennis Berube

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

KilowattA798
In a message dated 8/17/2009 10:54:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> ] Warp 9 motor used as generator
> Date:8/17/2009 10:54:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:[hidden email]
> Reply-to:[hidden email]
> To:[hidden email]
> Received from Internet:
>

> Do you know of a supplier?
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> >In a message dated 8/14/2009 4:05:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> >[hidden email] writes:
> >
> >>Subj: Re: [EVDL] Warp 9 motor used as generator
> >>Date:8/14/2009 4:05:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time
> >>From:[hidden email]
> >>Reply-to:[hidden email]
> >>To:[hidden email]
> >>Received from Internet:
> >>

> >>I need a gen of about that physical size.  Can anyone recommend a good
> >>alternative please

Try Gensco corp   Dennis

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Andrew Wood-13
I want an AC gen. Do you think the AC motor as it is would be the best,
then rather than convert the other.

Lee Hart wrote:

> Andrew Wood wrote:
>> How easy would it be to convert them to AC?
>>
> There are *two* motors, coupled together on the same shaft. One is a
> 3-phase 240/480vac AC motor. The other is a 240vdc DC motor with both
> series and shunt windings. Is that what you mean?

>>> I have two DC generators that might be of interest. They are
>>> Westinghouse motor-generators -- a  3-phase AC 240v/480v 60hz motor
>>> directly coupled to a DC 240vdc generator. The smaller one is rated
>>> 7.5kw continuous; the larger one at 15kw continuous duty.
>>>
>>> The generators have both series and shunt fields. The shunt field is
>>> used with a rheostat in series to adjust the output, exactly like
>>> the generator in an older car or truck. The series field is for when
>>> you run it as a motor.
>>>
>>> These units were used for emergency power in a 3M plant. When AC was
>>> present, it ran the AC motor, and the DC generator charged a big
>>> bank of batteries. When AC power failed, the DC generator was run as
>>> a motor, to spin the AC motor as an alternator, and generate AC
>>> power to keep things going in the plant.
>>>
>>> The smaller one is about 10" diameter x 24" long. The larger one is
>>> 10" diameter x 30" long. The smaller one is $200, and the larger one
>>> $300 plus shipping if you're interested.

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Andrew Wood-13
Thanks Ill have a look

[hidden email] wrote:

> In a message dated 8/17/2009 10:54:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
>> ] Warp 9 motor used as generator
>> Date:8/17/2009 10:54:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time
>> From:[hidden email]
>> Reply-to:[hidden email]
>> To:[hidden email]
>> Received from Internet:
>>

>> Do you know of a supplier?
>>
>> [hidden email] wrote:

> Try Gensco corp   Dennis

Re: Warp 9 motor used as generator

Travis Gintz
you can't, they're completely different.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Andrew Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How easy would it be to convert them to AC?
>
> Lee Hart wrote:
> > Andrew Wood wrote:
> >> I need a gen of about that physical size.  Can anyone recommend a
> >> good alternative please
> >
> > I have two DC generators that might be of interest. They are
> > Westinghouse motor-generators -- a  3-phase AC 240v/480v 60hz motor
> > directly coupled to a DC 240vdc generator. The smaller one is rated
> > 7.5kw continuous; the larger one at 15kw continuous duty.
> >
> > The generators have both series and shunt fields. The shunt field is
> > used with a rheostat in series to adjust the output, exactly like the
> > generator in an older car or truck. The series field is for when you
> > run it as a motor.
> >
> > These units were used for emergency power in a 3M plant. When AC was
> > present, it ran the AC motor, and the DC generator charged a big bank
> > of batteries. When AC power failed, the DC generator was run as a
> > motor, to spin the AC motor as an alternator, and generate AC power to
> > keep things going in the plant.
> >
> > The smaller one is about 10" diameter x 24" long. The larger one is
> > 10" diameter x 30" long. The smaller one is $200, and the larger one
> > $300 plus shipping if you're interested.

Travis Gintz
1986 Honda VFR DC conversion
Http://blog.evfr.net/

Andrew Wood wrote:
> I want an AC gen. Do you think the AC motor as it is would be the best,
> then rather than convert the other.

These units were specifically built to provide backup power. When AC is
present, the AC motor spins the DC generator, to charge a 240v bank of
lead-acid batteries. When AC power fails, the DC generator becomes a
motor, which spins the AC motor as a generator, to generate 3-phase AC
power.

The catch is that I only have the motor-generator part -- not the
controller that went with them. The "controller" is actually pretty
simple. On the DC side, it was just some rheostats, a voltmeter, and
ammeter. The rheostat sets the shunt field current to hold the batteries
at the desired "float voltage".

On the AC side, the "controller" was a big 3-pole contactor that dropped
out when AC power was lost. It switched 3 banks of AC-rated "run"
capacitors across each phase winding. An induction motor becomes an
induction generator when you do this. This contactor also switched to a
different shunt field control rheostat, so the speed was independently
adjustable when the DC generator was running as a motor (varying the
speed of the DC motor determines the voltage and frequency of the
generated AC).

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering