Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

Adam Brunette
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knew if water-jet cutting was accurate enough
through 2.5" of  7050-T7 Aluminum.

Im wondering if I should have the center bore cut undersized and go back
with a boring head and open it up to 4.0005 to give me a perfect tight fit
over the locating boss on my Warp11HV.

-Adam

Re: Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

Roland Wiench
Hello Adam,

It depends what type of grit compound they are using.  I had my work rough
cut with a water-jet, then it was mill with a Computer Control Machine.

> I was wondering if anybody knew if water-jet cutting was accurate enough
> through 2.5" of  7050-T7 Aluminum.
>
> Im wondering if I should have the center bore cut undersized and go back
> with a boring head and open it up to 4.0005 to give me a perfect tight fit
> over the locating boss on my Warp11HV.
>
> -Adam

Re: Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

2.5" thick plate?
Is this the armor on a Sherman tank?
Or is this an EV conversion of a vault?
I usually see 1/2 to 3/4" adapter plate...
Am I missing something?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

Mark Grasser
That and what is 7050-17?

Sincerely,
Mark Grasser

This e-mail, and any files attached to it, is intended solely for the person
or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, dissemination, copying,
printing, or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the
addressee is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from all
affected computers. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be
timely secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for
any errors or omissions.

Re: Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

Dan Bentler
Water jet would be perfect to make the pilot cut especially so on this thickness.  I think I would leave 5 or 10 thou and make two passes on my final cut - one rough and then final.

Dan Bentler

> I usually see 1/2 to 3/4" adapter plate...
> Am I missing something?
>

> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email]
>   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP:
> +31877841130
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91
> (040)23117400 x203

Here are some pictures of the adapter. It is for my 71 Corvette conversion.
I will be keeping the clutch and 4 speed Muncie in it.

I have designed the coupler to use a 2012 taper lock bushing that is capable
of handling 600ftlbs of torque. This takes up some room. One reason the
plate is so thick.

7050-T7 is the alloy and temper of the aluminum plate I am using. 7000
series are aerospace.

Here are the links.

Rear view with motor:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adambrunette/6147204909/

Front View with motor:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adambrunette/6147205015/

Side View with motor:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adambrunette/6147204999/

Coupler w/o bolts screwed in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adambrunette/5997191489/

-Adam
www.evvette.com

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Dan Bentler <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Water jet would be perfect to make the pilot cut especially so on this
> thickness.  I think I would leave 5 or 10 thou and make two passes on my
> final cut - one rough and then final.
>
> Dan Bentler

Doug Weathers
My 8in ADC was built for a Corbin Sparrow and had a longer-than-normal output shaft. I needed a spacer collar about that thick to mate it to my clutched VW transaxle.

Electro Automotive made the whole adapter for me. It was a work of art.

--
Doug Weathers
http://www.gdunge.com

Re: Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

Mark,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminum

The T7 is the heat temper grade
Nickname for 7050 is Aerospace Aluminum. Guess why.

More common alu alloys are 5052 and 6061. Nice overview here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

The thickness of the adapter, depends on the type of motor and transmission.
My GE-11 has no adapter plate added to it.  The back motor cover plate built
by GE is the same as a GM 350 engine and any transmission can bolt up to it.

The motor coupler is actually a forge crank shaft flange made by a crank
shaft company and only 1.75 inches long.  The transmission pilot shaft goes
all the way through the coupler and inserts into a pilot bearing in the
motor shaft which is 1.375 inch in diameter.

My WarP 9 adapter plate is 2.77 inches thick design by Electro Auto for a
S-10 transmission which will fit any GM V-6 or V-8 engine.  The WarP 9 motor
shaft is too small for the transmission pilot shaft to insert into, so the
pilot bushing is in the motor coupler which pushes back the transmission and
making the adapter plate thicker.

My WarP 11 adapter plate is 1.25 inch thick which uses the same type of
motor coupler for the GE-11 except it has a 1-1/8 inch taper lock bushing
insert.  A automatic transmission flex plate or a solid transmission pump
drive is connected right to the motor coupler which has no pilot shaft.

To keep the motor adapter plate thin down, is to use a transmission that you
can get different lengths removable bell housings.  This is the type that is
use on my GE-11 which is a forge steel unit that is approved for racing.

> I usually see 1/2 to 3/4" adapter plate...
> Am I missing something?
>

> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Hi Adam,
Is that taper-lock broken in two?
There appears to be a crack next to the
threads of the 3rd unmounted bolt in
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adambrunette/5997189025/

and BTW, what is the light and smoke effect in what
seems to be a homebuilt controller in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adambrunette/5805947356/

http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20110914/a126227d/a

> > ttachment.html
> > | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/

> > | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/

Re: Water-jet accurate enough for adapter locating bore?

Adam Brunette
Yes, That one is cracked. I dropped it on cement right on the side of the
slice across from the crack and it broke. I have since replaced it.

The show going on inside that controller was me finishing it off. I had a
bolt come lose and caused repeated shorts across the controller. By the time
I noticed it, I had already blown 2 fets, then I fixed it and a few more
went, so I decided to just finish it off.

On topic of the water jet, I talked to the local guy today. He said his
machine is good to about 0.002 - 0.003 inch. He also said that at a moderate
speed, it will have about a 10 thousandth kerf. Hes going to give me a price
to cut the center bore, dowel pin holes and the profile.

 I will then put it on the mill and bore the center to 4.001 for a perfect
fit over the locating boss of the Warp11HV and I will bore the dowel pin
holes for a press fit of the dowel pins. Then I can clamp the bell housing
to the plate and punch and drill the 6 mounting holes, and the same with the
end of the motor housing.

I will update when I hear back from the water jet guy.

-Adam