Weird problem, but true

dave cover-2
I know this is going to sound weird, but I had an incident that I
can't explain. But I'm hoping there's someone out there that will know
exactly what I'm talking about.

I was driving home after picking up my daughter the other night. I had
gone about 13 miles by then and was climbing a long hill on a winding
road. Nothing too bad, but not level ground. The road gains about 450'
over 1.5 miles. It wasn't a constant draw, but up and down as the hill
and corners allowed. I was also pushing it a little; battery amps
probably around 200-300, motor amps probably 400 - 600.

3/4s of the way up the hill the controller kicks outs. 1214, Open Pot
Wire. Makes no sense. Key off and key on and she fires right up and we
continue home with no problem. I get home and can't find anything
wrong. All wires are tight, no loose connection, nothing.

But here's where it get's weird. When it cut out, there was one other
clue and both my daughter and I experienced. Right away there was a
distinct odor. We looked at each other and both said the same thing.
Green beans! There was an unmistakable odor of green beans. You could
tell it was an electrical smell, but it smelled exactly like green
beans. At home I couldn't find wrong. No hot parts. No more smell.
Everything worked fine. I must have heated something close to the
point of failure, but not over the edge.

In all seriousness, has anyone let the smoke out of something electric
and smelled green beans?

Thanks

Dave Cover

--
http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Weird problem, but true

Ed Moore-2
Dave, I would ask the folks who built your zilla if they use green beans in
the manufacturing process :)  In all seriousness though, I don't know what
went wrong for you, but I do have a story that could offer one clue to your
problem, probably a long shot.

In my previous home, I had a constant problem with small furry little
animals building nests in various places inside my engine compartment, as it
seemed every time I opened the hood, i would find small piles of sticks and
debris in odd locations.  One day I even had a small bird travel with me to
work, and then back home in the evening, as the bird refused to abandon her
nest she was building just inside the front grill.  Then another day, I was
driving to work and as I was pulling into the parking lot I started smelling
smoke, but couldn't see a fire anywhere, my car was running fine, not
overheated.  Then suddenly, as I pulled up to the front main entrance to our
office building, car still running, thick black smoke started billowing out
from the cracks around all four sides of my hood.  I shut off the engine and
ran, luckily the security guard at the front entrance saw what was happening
and immediately called the East Hartford fire department, who showed up in
what seemed like seconds later.  By now the smoke had risen several stories
up the side of the building, alerting many early morning office dwellers to
a fine show below -- a team of firemen and their truck opening up the hood
of my Saab, and then blasting it with many thousands? of gallons of water in
a matter of seconds.  Now to make a long story short, car still ran fine
after all that, although it was towed to a nearby dealer, where fortunately
my insurance covered the cost of minor repairs for the whole fiasco.  The
thick black smoke was from the fiber glass liner under the hood burning
away.  The plastic covering over my carburator was melted, and some of the
paint on my hood had bubbled up from the heat.  I suggested to the fireman
that a small nest between a hot spot on the engine and the underside of my
hood could have caused the fire, but the fireman dismissed that idea, as he
told me there would be evidence of a nest, which I found hard to believe,
particularly after watching the amount force being applied to my engine
compartment from a fire hose... it was the cleanest engine compartment I had
ever seen.  So, i'm sticking with my belief -- a small animal caused that
fire by placing some dry sticks/leaves in a bad spot.  Dave, do you have a
vegetable garden on your property?

Ed Moore
http://www.evalbum.com/3271

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM, dave cover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know this is going to sound weird, but I had an incident that I
> can't explain. But I'm hoping there's someone out there that will know
> exactly what I'm talking about.
>
> I was driving home after picking up my daughter the other night. I had
> gone about 13 miles by then and was climbing a long hill on a winding
> road. Nothing too bad, but not level ground. The road gains about 450'
> over 1.5 miles. It wasn't a constant draw, but up and down as the hill
> and corners allowed. I was also pushing it a little; battery amps
> probably around 200-300, motor amps probably 400 - 600.
>
> 3/4s of the way up the hill the controller kicks outs. 1214, Open Pot
> Wire. Makes no sense. Key off and key on and she fires right up and we
> continue home with no problem. I get home and can't find anything
> wrong. All wires are tight, no loose connection, nothing.
>
> But here's where it get's weird. When it cut out, there was one other
> clue and both my daughter and I experienced. Right away there was a
> distinct odor. We looked at each other and both said the same thing.
> Green beans! There was an unmistakable odor of green beans. You could
> tell it was an electrical smell, but it smelled exactly like green
> beans. At home I couldn't find wrong. No hot parts. No more smell.
> Everything worked fine. I must have heated something close to the
> point of failure, but not over the edge.
>
> In all seriousness, has anyone let the smoke out of something electric
> and smelled green beans?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Cover
>
> --
> http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Weird problem, but true

dave cover-2
I have two rows of green beans, Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder. But
they haven't flowered yet. No chance some rodent carried a few beans
into my car.

You could tell it was a hot electrical smell, but it was amazing how
much it smelled like green beans. I guess I just have to push it
farther and see what fails. Blowing things up so you don't have to.

$#!+, when will I have a car I can romp on and not worry about the
next thing to fail? I need to be able to push the car close to it's
limit for more then 15 seconds at a time.

DAC

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Ed Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> 3/4s of the way up the hill the controller kicks outs. 1214, Open Pot
>> Wire. Makes no sense. Key off and key on and she fires right up and we
>> continue home with no problem. I get home and can't find anything
>> wrong. All wires are tight, no loose connection, nothing.
>>
>> But here's where it get's weird. When it cut out, there was one other
>> clue and both my daughter and I experienced. Right away there was a
>> distinct odor. We looked at each other and both said the same thing.
>> Green beans! There was an unmistakable odor of green beans. You could
>> tell it was an electrical smell, but it smelled exactly like green
>> beans. At home I couldn't find wrong. No hot parts. No more smell.
>> Everything worked fine. I must have heated something close to the
>> point of failure, but not over the edge.
>>
>> In all seriousness, has anyone let the smoke out of something electric

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Weird problem, but true

Mike Nickerson
One item that immediately comes to mind for me:

When your controller cut out, a contactor opened up that normally doesn't.
It also opened up under full load. It sounds like it was a contactor within
the controller.  I'm wondering if that contactor was stressed and the source
of your smell.   It also wouldn't be evident unless you were looking inside
your controller.  I don't know why it would make a funny smell.  I would
assume the contactor would be sealed.

Maybe something else to look for.

Mike

Re: Weird problem, but true

dave cover-2
Possibly, but I have 2 Kilovac contactors and they are sealed. I
didn't examine them closely. Also, my controller should have been
smart enough to cut power before opening the pos contactor, the neg
side is controlled by the key switch. At least that's the reputation.
I haven't given it a good sniff test since the night of the event.
Everything seemed to work normally after restart. Sigh!

With all the EEs and electrical techs and EVers out there, nobody
remembers letting the smoke out of something and noticing an odd smell
to it?

DAC

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Mike Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One item that immediately comes to mind for me:
>
> When your controller cut out, a contactor opened up that normally doesn't.
> It also opened up under full load. It sounds like it was a contactor within
> the controller.  I'm wondering if that contactor was stressed and the source
> of your smell.   It also wouldn't be evident unless you were looking inside
> your controller.  I don't know why it would make a funny smell.  I would
> assume the contactor would be sealed.
>
> Maybe something else to look for.
>
> Mike

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Weird problem, but true

mark at evie-systems
dave cover-2 wrote
With all the EEs and electrical techs and EVers out there, nobody
remembers letting the smoke out of something and noticing an odd smell
to it?
I've had interesting smells during some of my smoke tests, but never 'green beans'.

But, magic smoke always leaves a trail.  If you smelt it, something burned.  There has got to be a hole or a crack or a soot trail somewhere.  The trick is finding it.  But, it's always there.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Weird problem, but true

David Beard
Likely you tried to smoke something with an acetal resin cellulosis acetate (better known as cellophane) is a clear plastic that is derived from plant cellulose.....sometimes used as a coextrueded component of wire insulation, and may be a componnet in the construction of circuit boards or even some of the bits on the boards....they used to use it for insulation in capacitors.

Re: Weird problem, but true

Leslie-2
Just a guess here.

Maybe it was a short caused by an insect and that tripped some failsafe?
The burnt insect might have given off the "green beans" odor, and since
most insects would fry quickly quickly, the short would have been over
almost as quick as whatever failsafe caused the car to stop. Then once
you turned the key off and back on, it would have most likely reset the
failsafe and your EV was back up and running.

Just a guess, but makes sense to me :P

Leslie

On 2/07/2010 9:28 PM, mark at evie-systems wrote:

> dave cover-2 wrote:
>
>> With all the EEs and electrical techs and EVers out there, nobody
>> remembers letting the smoke out of something and noticing an odd smell
>> to it?
>>

> I've had interesting smells during some of my smoke tests, but never 'green
> beans'.
>
> But, magic smoke always leaves a trail.  If you smelt it, something burned.
> There has got to be a hole or a crack or a soot trail somewhere.  The trick
> is finding it.  But, it's always there.
>
> -----
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>
> mailto:[hidden email] [hidden email]
>
> "Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Weird problem, but true

Evan Tuer
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Leslie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just a guess here.
>
> Maybe it was a short caused by an insect and that tripped some failsafe?
> The burnt insect might have given off the "green beans" odor

And perhaps the insect had been eating Dave's green beans.  It's all
falling into place!

Re: Weird problem, but true

dave cover-2
Now, for the real test, I should park the car next to the garlic
patch. It will be pretty obvious if this is the cause. ;^)

DAC

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Evan Tuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Leslie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just a guess here.
>>
>> Maybe it was a short caused by an insect and that tripped some failsafe?
>> The burnt insect might have given off the "green beans" odor
>
> And perhaps the insect had been eating Dave's green beans.  It's all
> falling into place!

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Weird problem, but true

dave cover wrote:
>> 3/4s of the way up the hill the controller kicks outs. 1214, Open Pot Wire.
>> Makes no sense. Key off and key on and she fires right up and we continue
>> home with no problem. I get home and can't find anything wrong. All wires
>> are tight, no loose connection, nothing.
>>
>> But here's where it get's weird. When it cut out, there was one other clue
>> and both my daughter and I experienced. Right away there was a distinct
>> odor. We looked at each other and both said the same thing.
>> Green beans!

I'm not sure what green beans smell like. However, some items that could
produce a smell are:

venting lead-acid batteries:
  - sulfuric acid (bitter, sour)
  - hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor)
  - hydrogen (mostly odorless, but may have a acidic or metallic
        smell)

venting electrolytic capacitors:
  - boric acid or sodium borate
  - ethylene glycol (sweetish antifreeze smell)
  - dipropyl ketone (ketones have a fruity smell)

hot or burning electrical insulation:
  - strong bakelite smell
  - phenolic
  - plastics (many different weird chemical smells)

something arcing:
  - ozone (sharp burning)

Nothing stands out to me as smelling like beans.

Re: Weird problem, but true

damon henry

> I'm not sure what green beans smell like. However, some items that could
> produce a smell are:
>
> venting lead-acid batteries:
> - sulfuric acid (bitter, sour)
> - hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor)
> - hydrogen (mostly odorless, but may have a acidic or metallic
> smell)
>
> venting electrolytic capacitors:
> - boric acid or sodium borate
> - ethylene glycol (sweetish antifreeze smell)
> - dipropyl ketone (ketones have a fruity smell)
>
> hot or burning electrical insulation:
> - strong bakelite smell
> - phenolic
> - plastics (many different weird chemical smells)
>
> something arcing:
> - ozone (sharp burning)
>
> Nothing stands out to me as smelling like beans.

Of course, don't forget there were two people in the car, one of which may have been responsible :)

damon

Re: Weird problem, but true

dave cover-2
I do have some of the cells from my flooded niCad pack in the front.
What would a cell with Lye (Potassium Hydroxide?) electrolyte smell
like when it vents?

DAC

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> dave cover wrote:
>>> 3/4s of the way up the hill the controller kicks outs. 1214, Open Pot Wire.
>>> Makes no sense. Key off and key on and she fires right up and we continue
>>> home with no problem. I get home and can't find anything wrong. All wires
>>> are tight, no loose connection, nothing.
>>>
>>> But here's where it get's weird. When it cut out, there was one other clue
>>> and both my daughter and I experienced. Right away there was a distinct
>>> odor. We looked at each other and both said the same thing.
>>> Green beans!
>
> I'm not sure what green beans smell like. However, some items that could
> produce a smell are:
>
> venting lead-acid batteries:
>  - sulfuric acid (bitter, sour)
>  - hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor)
>  - hydrogen (mostly odorless, but may have a acidic or metallic
>        smell)
>
> venting electrolytic capacitors:
>  - boric acid or sodium borate
>  - ethylene glycol (sweetish antifreeze smell)
>  - dipropyl ketone (ketones have a fruity smell)
>
> hot or burning electrical insulation:
>  - strong bakelite smell
>  - phenolic
>  - plastics (many different weird chemical smells)
>
> something arcing:
>  - ozone (sharp burning)
>
> Nothing stands out to me as smelling like beans.
>
> --
> Lee A. Hart             | Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave N           | Forget the perfect offering
> Sartell MN 56377        | There is a crack in everything
> leeahart earthlink.net  | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Weird problem, but true

dave cover-2
> On Fri, Damon Henry wrote:
>
> Of course, don't forget there were two people in the car, one of which may have been responsible :)

Reminds me of a joke;

Two people in an elevator. One f@rts. Everyone knows who did it! ;^)

DAC

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:27 PM, damon henry <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'm not sure what green beans smell like. However, some items that could
>> produce a smell are:
>>
>> venting lead-acid batteries:
>> - sulfuric acid (bitter, sour)
>> - hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor)
>> - hydrogen (mostly odorless, but may have a acidic or metallic
>> smell)
>>
>> venting electrolytic capacitors:
>> - boric acid or sodium borate
>> - ethylene glycol (sweetish antifreeze smell)
>> - dipropyl ketone (ketones have a fruity smell)
>>
>> hot or burning electrical insulation:
>> - strong bakelite smell
>> - phenolic
>> - plastics (many different weird chemical smells)
>>
>> something arcing:
>> - ozone (sharp burning)
>>
>> Nothing stands out to me as smelling like beans.
>

> Of course, don't forget there were two people in the car, one of which may have been responsible :)
>

> damon

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Weird problem, but true

On 7/2/2010 3:39 PM, dave cover wrote:
> I do have some of the cells from my flooded niCad pack in the front.
> What would a cell with Lye (Potassium Hydroxide?) electrolyte smell
> like when it vents?

Probably like drain cleaner. That is also mostly lye.

--
Lee A. Hart | Drain cleaner is the perfect product. You can
814 8th Ave N | sell two cents worth of chemicals for $2, the

Re: Weird problem, but true

John O'Connor-3
Hi Dave,

Could be a hairball issue. I had different codes, but turning on and
off worked. As indicated below Otmar indicated a software upgrade
would probably fix the issue.

The zilla not the green beans.

John

On Jul 1, 2010, at 8:36 AM, dave cover wrote:

> 3/4s of the way up the hill the controller kicks outs. 1214, Open Pot
> Wire. Makes no sense. Key off and key on and she fires right up and we
> continue home with no problem. I get home and can't find anything
> wrong. All wires are tight, no loose connection, nothing.

  A bit over a year ago I posted:

>     John O'Connor-3 wrote:
>     I've been on the road for a year or so now with almost 2,000
> electric
>     miles, and the first two times I give a co-worker a ride to from
>     work, I have breakdowns.
>
>     In the first the error code was 1123 - Power section failed
> test. I
>     did not have my palm handy so I just pulled over flipped the
> circuit
>     breaker off and back on and all seemed well. I made the
> remaining 10
>     miles of my commute and made the 20 mile commute back home with no
>     problems.
>
>     Then the next day (my co-workers ICE is at the shop) I go dead
> again.
>     This time I just turned the key to off and tried starting back up.
>     That worked and I made it home that day and another 40 mile round
>     trip without additional problems the next day. The error code
> on the
>     second incident  was 1213 - motor contactors did not turn on.
>
>     Any Ideas what my problem may be?

Otmar responded: