What does raising Z1K motor voltage buy you?

What does raising Z1K motor voltage buy you?

Rob Trahms
Hi all -

1989 VW Cabby
Battery pack: 170VDC (52 CALB SE100AHA)
Zilla Z1K
Netgain Impulse 9 motor

Zilla settings:
Motor amps: 1000A
Motor volts: 119V  (I assume this can go between 72-144V, no more than 170V)
Max Battery amps: 700A
LBV: 115V (2.2VPC for short periods under load.  BTW, I rarely can get
below 145V by my meter's reading)

Not sure what effect setting the motor volts has on performance.  I have
had it at 96, 99 and now 119V, with no noticeable difference in
performance.  Intuitively, what does raising this limit give me?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Re: What does raising Z1K motor voltage buy you?

David Nelson-5
It will get you more RPM at the top end or more torque at the "old"
top end. As an example, when I had a 48V lead acid pack in my Gizmo my
top speed was about 40mph. The voltage at the motor was likely
somewhere in the vicinity of 40V. When I installed my LiFePO4 pack
which is 64V nominal I now have a top speed of over 50mph with the
pack voltage around 62V. When the batteries are warm, around 25°C,
then the top speed goes up to somewhere around 55mph and the pack sags
only to 64V or so.

Since your motor can handle 170V I would bump the max motor volts to
that value. Your pack's nominal voltage is only 166.4V any way so you
will never hit the top and will have the max torque you can get at any
RPM.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Rob Trahms <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> 1989 VW Cabby
> Battery pack: 170VDC (52 CALB SE100AHA)
> Zilla Z1K
> Netgain Impulse 9 motor
>
> Zilla settings:
> Motor amps: 1000A
> Motor volts: 119V  (I assume this can go between 72-144V, no more than 170V)
> Max Battery amps: 700A
> LBV: 115V (2.2VPC for short periods under load.  BTW, I rarely can get
> below 145V by my meter's reading)
>
> Not sure what effect setting the motor volts has on performance.  I have
> had it at 96, 99 and now 119V, with no noticeable difference in
> performance.  Intuitively, what does raising this limit give me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

Re: What does raising Z1K motor voltage buy you?

Dan Bentler
All else constant and you are still less than baseline RPM you get speed.

Dan Bentler

> Motor volts: 119V  (I assume this can go between
> 72-144V, no more than 170V)
> Max Battery amps: 700A
> LBV: 115V (2.2VPC for short periods under load.  BTW,
> I rarely can get
> below 145V by my meter's reading)
>
> Not sure what effect setting the motor volts has on
> performance.  I have
> had it at 96, 99 and now 119V, with no noticeable
> difference in
> performance.  Intuitively, what does raising this
> limit give me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

Re: What does raising Z1K motor voltage buy you?

Mike Willmon
Set motor volts to 170v and motor amps to 1000 amps and battery Amps to 1000 amps. LBV @ 115 is good. Neither the motor nor controller will complain.  If your wire, breakers and fuses are spec'd right you will have a new EV grin.

The higher you set the motor volts the easier the controller can provide max current.  Also higher motor volts equals higher rpm and therefore top speed.

170 V is not a problem for your motor.

Mike

On Sep 7, 2011, at 8:47 PM, Rob Trahms <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> 1989 VW Cabby
> Battery pack: 170VDC (52 CALB SE100AHA)
> Zilla Z1K
> Netgain Impulse 9 motor
>
> Zilla settings:
> Motor amps: 1000A
> Motor volts: 119V  (I assume this can go between 72-144V, no more than 170V)
> Max Battery amps: 700A
> LBV: 115V (2.2VPC for short periods under load.  BTW, I rarely can get
> below 145V by my meter's reading)
>
> Not sure what effect setting the motor volts has on performance.  I have
> had it at 96, 99 and now 119V, with no noticeable difference in
> performance.  Intuitively, what does raising this limit give me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob

Re: What does raising Z1K motor voltage buy you?

Steve Clunn
>Battery pack: 170VDC (52 CALB SE100AHA)
Zilla Z1K
Netgain Impulse 9 motor<

As the Implulse 9 is a shorten 9 it has less torque and more rpm for
the same hp output , so you should be leaning towards higher rpm to
get your power . Higher voltage will let you get that higher rpm and
still have some pull. In the old days when 120v was the max controller
voltage it was very common to drive in 2nd gear with your foot to the
floor and let the motor rpm keep the amp draw below 140 amps . The
controllers liked this and ran cooler , the motors likes it as they
got lots of air and lower motor amps . When 144v and 156v's came along
this was not doable as the load of most cars can't hold back the motor
from over revving when in the lower gears .  If your motor voltage is
at 119v you may not see a difference .Do you have the rev limiter on
the motor?  I think in general we all Lug our motors . They do use a
little less power when in a higher gear and less tranny noise but I
believe motor and controller are happier at higher RPM
Steve Clunn
--
Tomorrows Ride TODAY !
Visit our shop web page at: www.Greenshedconversions.com

Re: What does raising Z1K motor voltage buy you?

Rob Trahms
Thanks all for the tips!
I have changed my zilla settings to motor: 1000A/170V, battery: 1000A/115V (lbv) - works great!

Rob