What is the expected lifetime of used electric car batteries in a battery farm?

What is the expected lifetime of used electric car batteries in a battery farm?

Consider the use of used electric car Lithium batteries for electric
storage in a battery farm.  Suppose the batteries are removed from the car
after losing 20-30% of their range and moved to a climate controlled, shock
and vibration free environment and where the rate of charging/discharging
is kept to a low level, say 10 kW.  Does anyone know what is the expected
lifetime of those batteries in that environment?  Does the battery become
erratic below a certain level?

Larry Gales

Re: What is the expected lifetime of used electric car batteries in a battery farm?

Unlike lead-acid batteries, that seemingly fall off of a cliff when they
die, li-ion batteries slowly and steadily decline in capacity as they age.

Li-ion batteries steadily lose capacity both with age and with the
number of cycles. They lose capacity a bit more quickly at first, and
then a bit more slowly. They keep working until the capacity is so low
that they lose their usefulness.

This assumes that you are charging them correctly and discharging them
within their proper voltage range and temperature.

Bill D.

On 3/5/2017 6:12 PM, Larry Gales via EV wrote:

> Consider the use of used electric car Lithium batteries for electric
> storage in a battery farm.  Suppose the batteries are removed from the car
> after losing 20-30% of their range and moved to a climate controlled, shock
> and vibration free environment and where the rate of charging/discharging
> is kept to a low level, say 10 kW.  Does anyone know what is the expected
> lifetime of those batteries in that environment?  Does the battery become
> erratic below a certain level?
>
> Thanks,

Re: What is the expected lifetime of used electric car batteries in a battery farm?

Cruisin
I have found that Li-ion batteries that have been used vary depending on the car salvaged from.
The LEAF battery has the highest failure rate and shortest life span. When buying used there is the possibility that they have been abused or shorted. Afterwards the voltage will rise back to what looks normal but the battery cell is a goner and will not take a good charge above 3.7vdc per cell. Volt, BMW Bosch and Ford Focus seem to be the best. Volt is the easiest to work with, but modules made before 2015 is not recommended.

Re: What is the expected lifetime of used electric car batteries in a battery farm?

I was wondering if you could expand on this statement. Is it something like the Leaf switchover to "lizard cells", or something else?
Thanks,
Jay