What motor/transmission is the Wrightspeed X1 using ?

What motor/transmission is the Wrightspeed X1 using ?

me2-2
What motor and transmission is the Wrightspeed using ?

I hear it runs 11/12 second 1/4 miles.  The Zombie is running similar and it had broken its rear differentials a couple times.  The Wrightspeed uses a front wheel drive transaxle, like the Ariel Atom does.   So what transaxle allows the Wrightspeed to run 11/12s and stand up whereas the Zombie breaks its 9 inch Ford ?

Thanks.

Re: What motor/transmission is the Wrightspeed X1 using ?

Frank Schmitt-6
On Mar 4, 2008, at 19:10 , me2 wrote:

> What motor and transmission is the Wrightspeed using ?

I talked to the designer/builder at the Maker Faire last year and he
said it was a standard AC Propulsion drivetrain.

-Frank

Re: What motor/transmission is the Wrightspeed X1 using ?

John Mogelnicki
We're using a GM F40 MT2, the diff is rated for 400NM.
Should have some test/race data for you at the end of the month.

http://evalbum.com/1479

John
Detroit EV

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:10 PM, me2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What motor and transmission is the Wrightspeed using ?
>
> I hear it runs 11/12 second 1/4 miles.  The Zombie is running similar and
> it
> had broken its rear differentials a couple times.  The Wrightspeed uses a
> front wheel drive transaxle, like the Ariel Atom does.   So what transaxle
> allows the Wrightspeed to run 11/12s and stand up whereas the Zombie
> breaks
> its 9 inch Ford ?
>
> Thanks.

Re: What motor/transmission is the Wrightspeed X1 using ?

Doug Weathers

On Mar 4, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Frank Schmitt wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2008, at 19:10 , me2 wrote:
>
>> What motor and transmission is the Wrightspeed using ?
>
> I talked to the designer/builder at the Maker Faire last year and he
> said it was a standard AC Propulsion drivetrain.

And as I understand it, the AC Propulsion drivetrain includes traction
control, which probably helps a lot in preventing the breakage of
drivetrain components.

> -Frank

Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA
http://www.gdunge.com/

Re: What motor/transmission is the Wrightspeed X1 using ?

Tom Parker-12
On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 19:10 -0800, me2 wrote:
> What motor and transmission is the Wrightspeed using ?
>
> I hear it runs 11/12 second 1/4 miles.  The Zombie is running similar and it
> had broken its rear differentials a couple times.  The Wrightspeed uses a
> front wheel drive transaxle, like the Ariel Atom does.   So what transaxle
> allows the Wrightspeed to run 11/12s and stand up whereas the Zombie breaks
> its 9 inch Ford ?

Check out the difference in weight of the Zombie (2652lb) and the
Wrightspeed (1536lb). The Wrightspeed is much lighter so requires less
force to achieve the same acceleration. This means they can use lighter
components without breaking them.