Wheel Alignment Surprise

Mark Hanson-2
Hi,

I measured kWh before and after adjusting my toe in from 3/8" to 1/8" and
the same 400Wh per mile (no cheating at the AC line) was the same.  I
measured over the same 30 mile distance twice for each adjustment and got
12kWh on my AC watt hour meter.  The watt hour meter wouldn't detect a
percent or two difference so scrubbing of the tire (I noticed 1" outer wear)
over 4k miles probably takes 10 watts or so per mile but didn't noticeably
effect range *but* dragging brakes sure does have a noticeable effect.

The wheel alignment saga on my 74' 914 Porsche:

Adjusting the toe-in is a trivial task, measuring the front to rear tire
differential and adjusting the tie rods accordingly.  Anyway I took it to
the first shop in Roanoke, VA Crescent Heights, left it for the day while I
was at work and then get a call at 12noon saying it's almost finished, then
at 4pm saying they can't "start" it to get it in the garage and to come over
right away.  I come over and everyone runs out of the garage!  I noticed
that the E-Porsche wouldn't go and upon checking the main 400A fuse with a
meter, I found out it was blown.  In the hundreds of thousands of miles I
have been EV'ing I never have blown a main pack fuse.  Anyway, they probably
stomped it to the floor to see what it would do so I hitched it up to the
back of my Ford Ranger and towed it home.

Shop number 2, NTB Tire America said on the phone, "sure we can do a toe-in
on an electric Porsche same as any other car".  So I dropped it off for the
day and when I came back they hadn't touched it saying they were afraid to
start it or roll it.  Appearntly there was a shift change and they didn't
talk to each other.

Shop number 3, Roanoke Auto Spring Works actually *did* the alignment and
said the frame I installed and right rear swing arm welded on was within
caster-camber alignment spec as well.  When I picked it up i noticed it was
empty of electrons as they did some highway driving since they thought it
was cool.  Just for grins a couple nights ago I checked the toe with a
ruller from center tread, front-rear since the front tires were sawtooth
wearing on the outside 1" portion.  I found that it had a toe in of 3/8"!  I
adjusted to 1/16-1/8 by turning each tie rod 1/2 turn and tightenned the
nuts back.

Lesson 4:  I'll do my alignments in the future and not take my car to
bumpkins..

Have a renewable energy day,
Mark

Re: Wheel Alignment Surprise

Timothy Balcer
So.. I have to ask...

Why didn't you take it to Porsche of Roanoke? Cost?

--T

Re: Wheel Alignment Surprise

John Luck Home
Mark said >
Just for grins a couple nights ago I checked the toe with a
> ruller from center tread, front-rear since the front tires were sawtooth
> wearing on the outside 1" portion.  I found that it had a toe in of 3/8"!
> adjusted to 1/16-1/8 by turning each tie rod 1/2 turn and tightenned the
> nuts back.

My EV has tyre scrub on the outside of the tyre.  Is it simply a matter of
driving straight then putting a cord from  back wheel across the back tyre
rim  and running it forward to the front wheel and seeing where it touches
across the front wheel then adjusting the rod end until  both sides of the
wheel touches the cord ?.

Or is there a better way of checking the tracking/toe in.

Thanks
John
www.bedfordev.flyer.co.uk

Re: Wheel Alignment Surprise

If the track width for front and rear wheels is the same then
that is a good way to get zero toe.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130