Wheel popped right off

Seth Rothenberg
....just as I was hoping...
aka, How to remove a Stuck wheel without breaking lug bolts.

I may have mentioned that I had a wheel I could not get off.
This was even a factor in out-sourcing the De-Icing.
I saw numerous suggestions how to resolve this.
I tried most of them.   ( I don't own a 25 lb. Persuader.  Yet.)

Today, I snaked one of the safety chains from my towing rig
through the holes in the wheel...
I put the head of a bottle jack against the center of the hub
(note, in my case, there was no axle in the hub)
and put the chain over the base of the bottle jack.
After this, it took less than a minute of "raising" the bottle
jack to remove the wheel, in one piece.

No damaged lug bolts, no bent rim, burst tire, etc.

Sorry, the picture is locked in my camera.  Maybe soon...

...and, the requisite caveat: there are lots of aspects
of this technique that are left to the reader to figure out.
If the reader can't determine what they are,
then this technique is not for him/her, outsource is the answer.

This technique is only known to be safe when I do it on my car
in my driveway, with safety goggles.

Re: Wheel popped right off

Paul Wujek-2
A method I've used is to loosen the bolts (VW) without removing them and
just roll the car down the driveway slowly.

This has worked beautifully for me when I've had to do it.

Seth Rothenberg wrote:

> ....just as I was hoping...
> aka, How to remove a Stuck wheel without breaking lug bolts.
>
> I may have mentioned that I had a wheel I could not get off.
> This was even a factor in out-sourcing the De-Icing.
> I saw numerous suggestions how to resolve this.
> I tried most of them.   ( I don't own a 25 lb. Persuader.  Yet.)
>
> Today, I snaked one of the safety chains from my towing rig
> through the holes in the wheel...
> I put the head of a bottle jack against the center of the hub
> (note, in my case, there was no axle in the hub)
> and put the chain over the base of the bottle jack.
> After this, it took less than a minute of "raising" the bottle
> jack to remove the wheel, in one piece.
>
> No damaged lug bolts, no bent rim, burst tire, etc.
>
> Sorry, the picture is locked in my camera.  Maybe soon...
>

> ...and, the requisite caveat: there are lots of aspects
> of this technique that are left to the reader to figure out.
> If the reader can't determine what they are,
> then this technique is not for him/her, outsource is the answer.
>
> This technique is only known to be safe when I do it on my car
> in my driveway, with safety goggles.

Paul Wujek   ([hidden email])
http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulwujek

Re: Wheel popped right off

Seth Rothenberg
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Paul Wujek<[hidden email]> wrote:
> A method I've used is to loosen the bolts (VW) without removing them and
> just roll the car down the driveway slowly.
>
> This has worked beautifully for me when I've had to do it.

Thanks.  I saw that method, and used it once on another car,
but it didn't work here.