Where to buy batteries?

Mark Warner
Folks,
I'm at the buy-batteries point in my EV motorcycle conversion project. I'm
looking at various lithium solutions, including CALBs and GBS units. I want
to also purchase the BMS and charger(s) at the same time.

Any suggestions on reputable suppliers that you've had experience with?
This is such a huge outlay of cash that I want to go into it with eyes wide
open.

Any and all suggestions, comments, and do's/don'ts will be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Cruisin
EBEVConversion@gmail.com sells CALB cells any size for $1.25 per ah. plus shipping from CA. Allso sell MINI BMS for $12.75 per cell shipping from Florida. Good prices and support. He has been around forever and was the first convert to Li-ion for street use.

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Hello Mark,

Try www.manzanitamicro.com.  Rich Rudman will not ship a battery set not
tested and balance.

You can get completely assemble 8 cell modules that has been quality control
tested in a aluminum battery box complete with BMS decks, regulators and
connection hardware for a 180 ah CALB Lithium Ion battery for $1568.00 which
is $1.08 per ah.

> I'm at the buy-batteries point in my EV motorcycle conversion project. I'm
> looking at various lithium solutions, including CALBs and GBS units. I
> want
> to also purchase the BMS and charger(s) at the same time.
>
> Any suggestions on reputable suppliers that you've had experience with?
> This is such a huge outlay of cash that I want to go into it with eyes
> wide
> open.
>
> Any and all suggestions, comments, and do's/don'ts will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Voltswagon
Roland,

I think your price there is off by a factor of 2.

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Elithion
You can buy CALB cells directly from Calib (it's the US branch of CALB and they stock).
Or you can by GBS cells directly from Elite Power. Elite Power also offers their own BMS, only available if you buy cells from them.
Then, you can buy the BMS directly from the its manufacturer (this utility lets you select the right BMS for your application: http://liionbms.com/php/bms-selector.php). I recommend that because the least expensive BMSs have too low a price to allow for a markup, so resellers cannot make any money selling it, and won't offer them.  For example, it's best if you buy the MiniBMS directly from Clean Power (http://www.cleanpowerauto.com/MiniBMS.html).

If, in the other side, you do want to buy cells and BMS from the one reseller, try Evolve Electrics (http://www.evolveelectrics.com/) : they stock CALB, GBS and Sinopoly cells, and sell 3 BMSs: Orion BMS, Lithiumate Lite and Lithiumate Pro.

Besides Evolve, another reseller that has a very good reputation is KTA (http://www.kta-ev.com/): they sell CALB and GBS cells, and the Elithion BMSs.
Davide Andrea
Elithion

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Bill Dennis
Roland,
  I think that price is for 4 cells not 8:

http://www.manzanitamicro.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=52&category_id=19

Bill

> I'm at the buy-batteries point in my EV motorcycle conversion project. I'm
> looking at various lithium solutions, including CALBs and GBS units. I
> want
> to also purchase the BMS and charger(s) at the same time.
>
> Any suggestions on reputable suppliers that you've had experience with?
> This is such a huge outlay of cash that I want to go into it with eyes
> wide
> open.
>
> Any and all suggestions, comments, and do's/don'ts will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Peter C. Thompson-2
+1 on KTA.  They have been very prompt with every order, and called
whenever there has been a problem. Nice people, too.

Just a satisfied customer.

Cheers,
     Peter

On 7/17/12 10:41 AM, Elithion wrote:

> You can buy CALB cells directly from Calib (it's the US branch of CALB and
> they stock).
> Or you can by GBS cells directly from Elite Power. Elite Power also offers
> their own BMS, only available if you buy cells from them.
> Then, you can buy the BMS directly from the its manufacturer (this utility
> lets you select the right BMS for your application:
> http://liionbms.com/php/bms-selector.php). I recommend that because the
> least expensive BMSs have too low a price to allow for a markup, so
> resellers cannot make any money selling it, and won't offer them.  For
> example, it's best if you buy the MiniBMS directly from Clean Power
> (http://www.cleanpowerauto.com/MiniBMS.html).
>
> If, in the other side, you do want to buy cells and BMS from the one
> reseller, try Evolve Electrics (http://www.evolveelectrics.com/) : they
> stock CALB, GBS and Sinopoly cells, and sell 3 BMSs: Orion BMS, Lithiumate
> Lite and Lithiumate Pro.
>
> Besides Evolve, another reseller that has a very good reputation is KTA
> (http://www.kta-ev.com/): they sell CALB and GBS cells, and the Elithion
> BMSs.
>
> -----
> Davide Andrea
> Elithion

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Cruisin
Roland, I think your calculator is defective. Re-check your figures and repost the correct figures of price per ah so as NOT to mislead people and product.

Re: Where to buy batteries?

What I did, was looking at the Product data for eight 100 ah CALB cells that
was just above the four 180 ah CALB cells.

OK, here is my calculation for the eight 100 ah CALB cells which come fully
assemble in a aluminum battery box, complete with regulators, wiring and
terminal links for $1800.00.

If you subtract the box, regulators, wiring and assembly which cost about
$850.00, you now get $950.00 for eight cells or $118.75 per 100 ah cell
which becomes $1.11875 per AH.

Looking at the page for 100 AH CALB cell itself, they are listed at $145.00
or $1.45 per AH.  It seems the completed assembly cells are cheaper at
$118.75.

In about 7 years and 5 months, I may purchase a set from them, of course the
price will be higher by then or may be a different chemistry like a vanadium
atomic number 23 which has 9 more electrons in the valance orbit then
lithium atomic number 3 with two in the valance orbit.

> Roland, I think your calculator is defective. Re-check your figures and
> repost the correct figures of price per ah so as NOT to mislead people and
> product.

> Nabble.com.

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Danpatgal
I have recently purchased three types of cells, two BMSs, and many other items from CALIB Power, Manzanita, KTA, CleanPower, Evolve, Elite Power, and EVAmerica (an EV upgrade and e-bicycle are in the works at my house, ugh), all have been good experiences.  I'd add that although I didn't buy from them, I did have good responses from and heard good things about Lithium Storage.

I personally like EVolve's website, product mix and availability best, if I were to rate them.  But, I think their prices are on the higher side.  Evolve also has a slick Elithion BMS ordering page and ability to choose charger details right on the website.  I'm sure other EV suppliers can do all that too, but EVolve's details are the most transparent and useful.

And, though it might sound easier, I don't think you really gain anything buy buying the cells and BMS from the same place.  The BMS is just a little box, little cell boards, and some wiring, I was surprised at how small both the Lithiumate and MiniBMS systems are.  Anyway, they can't install them before shipping anyway, so I'm not sure what you're hoping to gain by buying them together.

Good luck.

Dan

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Cruisin
The cost per ah is the total cost of batteries divided by the total ah, not using some marketing skill like you proposed. To me that is scamming. I quoted actual cost and you attempted to beat the price in your posting by playing games. Lets not do that in the future here or anywhere else.

Re: Where to buy batteries?

Roger Stockton
Cruisin wrote:

> The cost per ah is the total cost of batteries divided by the total ah,
> not using some marketing skill like you proposed.

That only works when the total cost is for the battery (cells), and does not include extras such as BMS or enclosures that do not scale with Ah.

In this specific case, the 4x180Ah cell battery including BMS and packaging is $1564.  The cost without cells is $620.  Therefore, the 4 x 180Ah CALB cells cost $944, which is $236/cell or $1.31/Ah, when purchased as part of this package.

Purchased separately, the same cells cost $261 each, or $1.45/Ah.

All prices are per the Manzanita Micro website at the time of this post.

Cheers,

Roger.