?Will GM,Ford buyouts,cuts,layoffs affect EV production?

?Will GM,Ford buyouts,cuts,layoffs affect EV production?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/19/general-motors-buyout-layoffs/2061291002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories
General Motors buyouts likely to fall short and layoffs loom
Nov. 19, 2018  Jamie L. LaReau, Detroit Free Press

General Motors is offering voluntary buyouts to 18,000 workers.

General Motors hoped at least 7,000 white-collar workers would sign up by
noon Monday for a buyout offer, but managers told employees last week that
it was likely to fall short, raising the prospect of significant layoffs.

The number volunteering for the offer is likely be closer to 4,000 based on
estimates by an actuary, some GM employees said managers told them.

That means 3,000 or more salaried workers in North America could be
terminated starting in January if the automaker in fact opts for forced job
cuts, which it has said it would consider if buyouts fell short.

That's the message some GM managers gave salaried workers during department
meetings held Thursday and Friday of last week, several employees who
attended the meetings told The Detroit Free Press. The meetings were an
11th-hour attempt to help employees with 12 or more years at GM decide
whether they want to take a voluntary buyout.

GM employees who talked to the Press did so on condition of anonymity
because their jobs are at risk.

More: GM memo: We must cut costs, can't wait to see what happens in
industry[
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2018/11/03/general-motors-memo-buyout/1859186002/
]

More: GM offers buyouts to 18,000 salaried workers, says layoffs possible [
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2018/10/31/gm-buyouts-salaried-workers/1831530002/
]

The meetings were presented as informational and GM managers told employees,
"Nobody’s under pressure to sign up or fear they’ll be threatened with
firing or termination if they don’t sign up," said a former senior-level GM
manager who spoke with several employees who attended the meetings.

“GM (leaders) haven’t decided what they’re going to do if there is a
shortfall – if they don’t hit 7,000," the source said. "They said they may
start the process in mid-January for involuntary releases.”

A GM spokesman would not confirm that date or that GM would pursue
involuntary cuts. He said he was not aware of any company-wide meetings last
week. If there were meetings, they would have been staff by staff, he said.
He also said he was not aware of any figures or targets the company has set
or would share with workers.

GM has said it must trim costs amid the rising prices of raw materials and
plateauing car sales. So on Oct. 31, GM CEO Mary Barra sent an email to all
50,000 salaried GM employees in North America saying the automaker is
offering voluntary buyouts to the 17,700 salaried employees who have 12
years or more with GM. Most global executives are also eligible.

GM has said if it cannot achieve enough cost savings between the buyouts and
other cost-cutting measures, it might consider involuntary job cuts after
the first of the year.

One adviser who has been working with several GM employees and managers said
the process of selecting the voluntary and involuntary job cuts will happen
quickly.

“GM will complete the voluntary buyouts by Nov. 29. The managers we’ve
talked to are already making their list and will select their cuts in
January,” said the adviser, who did not want to compromise his clients’
identities by having his name published.

He said on Jan. 15 GM will announce the involuntary job eliminations and
“walk people out.”

The buyout packages include six months pay and six months of health care
coverage, the GM spokesman confirmed. Those who opt to take the buyout have
until the end of the year to continue with GM, with severance effective Jan.
1.

The six-month pay and six-month health care is the same severance a GM
employee with 12 years or more experience would receive if they were
involuntarily terminated, GM employees said. That's why some inside the
company say interest in the buyout has been lukewarm.

GM has said the move is being done to speed up work on developing
electrified vehicles.

GM will be "further integrating our Global Propulsion organization with
vehicle engineering" and boosting the total number of engineering resources
dedicated to electric vehicles, GM spokesman Mike Albano said in a
statement.

More: Why GM is moving 3,000 workers from Pontiac to Warren [
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2018/11/09/gm-general-motors-pontiac-warren/1941278002/
]

Economist Jon Gabrielsen, an adviser to the auto industry, has said he
expects that 7,000 salaried jobs will be cut from GM in metro Detroit, "over
the course of an auto downturn in the next two to three years, plus as much
as another 7,000 in hourly based on how much sales soften."

The UAW contract for hourly workers with Detroit's automakers expires in
September 2019.

Crosstown rival Ford also is working to reduce its salaried workforce. Ford
has not provided specifics on how many jobs will be cut or over what time
frame in its $11-billion "fitness" plan.
[© usatoday.com]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/e-vehicle-tech-workers-kept-40-old-GM-ice-tech-out-tp4691786.html
e-vehicle_tech workers kept> 40% old GM ice-tech= out
GM's job cuts mean new kind of worker needed ...
Nov 07 2018

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/why-general-motors-is-offering-buyouts-to-18000-workers/ar-BBPrzC6
Why General Motors is offering buyouts to 18,000 workers
Nov 7, 2018 - General Motors is a technology company that makes cars and the
skills its employees had yesterday are continuously becoming outdated ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=General+Motors+ford+layoffs+buyouts+cuts
search  GM ford layoffs

Re: ?Will GM, Ford buyouts, cuts, layoffs affect EV production?

Why would it affect EV production?

These are white collar jobs, and happening specifically so that they can focus on EV development, at least according to the article.

I don’t understand your confusion.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> [...]
> September 2019.
>
> Crosstown rival Ford also is working to reduce its salaried workforce. Ford
> has not provided specifics on how many jobs will be cut or over what time
> frame in its $11-billion "fitness" plan.
> [© usatoday.com]
>

> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/e-vehicle-tech-workers-kept-40-old-GM-ice-tech-out-tp4691786.html
> e-vehicle_tech workers kept> 40% old GM ice-tech= out
> GM's job cuts mean new kind of worker needed ...
> Nov 07 2018
>

> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/why-general-motors-is-offering-buyouts-to-18000-workers/ar-BBPrzC6
> Why General Motors is offering buyouts to 18,000 workers
> Nov 7, 2018 - General Motors is a technology company that makes cars and the
> skills its employees had yesterday are continuously becoming outdated ...

EVs jeopardized(?): automaker's restructuring (job cuts) ...

' ... At the factories, around 3,300 blue-collar workers could lose jobs in
the U.S. and another 2,600 in Canada ... '

https://www.axios.com/general-motors-restructuring-electric-vehicles-2b7bbb52-2034-4d60-8375-409866626c31.html
The electric vehicle stakes of GM's restructuring
November 27, 2018  Ben Geman

General Motors' plan to shutter several plants and cut thousands of workers
is a glimpse into big changes that may loom as major automakers make the
slow transition to electric vehicles.

Driving the news: As my Axios colleagues reported, GM said Monday that it
will cut 15% of its salaried workforce, estimated to be more than 14,000
people in North America. It will idle factories in Michigan, Ohio, Maryland
and Canada.

The intrigue: The auto giant called it part of a restructuring that will
help devote more resources to fully battery-powered offerings — even as it
also focuses on larger gasoline-powered products in the move away from some
sedans.

    The company is focusing on crossovers, trucks and SUVs, while "resources
allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs will double in the
next two years," the company said.

    By next year, it will no longer make the Buick LaCrosse, the Chevrolet
Impala, or the Cadillac CT6 sedan.

    The plan also includes killing off the Chevy Volt, a plug-in
gasoline-electric hybrid with limited range first launched in 2010.

The big picture: Autotrader analyst Michelle Krebs called the GM move the
result of several forces, including a downturn in the North American and
Chinese markets, a consumer shift toward SUVs, and tariffs and trade policy.

    But one impetus is to position itself for electric and autonomous
offerings that won't be money makers any time soon, she tells Axios. "It has
got to be very profitable right now to finance all that.”

    The automaker plans to launch at least 20 all-electric models by 2023.

"GM is really betting big on autonomous and electric vehicles, and so it has
got to shore up its profits right now prepare for that future."
— Michelle Krebs

But, but, but: Via Greentech Media, the Union of Concerned Scientists' David
Reichmuth offers a critical view of GM's near-term positioning for its
long-term, more electrified future.

    “I like what they said about electrification; the problem is what
they’re investing in," he tells Greentech, noting the company's focus on
SUVs and pickups.

    "I think GM and a lot of the companies know that electrification is the
future, but they’re prioritizing the short-term profits from some of these
less efficient gasoline vehicles," he says.

What's next: Mark Muro, a Brookings Institution expert in industrial
transitions, also tells me the GM move is about slowing sales in the U.S.
and China and the shift away from sedans.

    But he adds, "The changes are equally all about accelerating the
company’s move toward into the future of mobility. In that sense the
restructuring reflects the company’s aggressive transition from gas to
electric and analog to digital."

    That will shift the employee base, with more emphasis on software
engineers and electrical engineers, Muro says. He called the changes part of
maintaining a competitive industry.

    "There will be excruciating pain in some places left behind," Muro says.

Go deeper:

    Look for more car factories to close [
https://www.axios.com/general-motors-american-automakers-closures-detroit-7315b7ba-da81-4786-af35-fef3aacb3675.html
]

    Analysts react to GM job cutsclose [
https://www.axios.com/analysts-react-to-general-motors-restructuring-2ce0a3eb-a459-4a24-a172-293073d4a09b.html
]

    Politicians react to GM closings in their backyardsclose [
https://www.axios.com/general-motors-plant-closing-politician-reactions-bd0dbd67-09fa-4daa-bfcd-843f991b94bb.html
] ... [© axios.com]

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-gm-plant-closing-restructuring-20181126-story.html
GM to slash up to 14,000 jobs in North America; 7 plants could close as part
of restructuring
2018-11-26  Tom Krisher Associated Press

6 cars to be killed by GM plant closures

[image]  General Motors follows Ford's and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles'
pullout from the sedan segment with the planned closure of four factories in
the U.S. and one in Canada by the end of 2019. In addition to laying off or
buying out 14,000 employees, the planned discontinuation of the Buick
LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Cadillac XTS, Chevy Impala, Chevy Volt, and Chevy
Cruze sedan and hatch is expected to save GM $6 billion  (Robert Duffer)

General Motors will cut up to 14,000 workers in North America and put five
plants up for possible closure as it abandons many of its car models and
restructures to focus more on autonomous and electric vehicles, the
automaker announced Monday.

The reductions could amount to as much as 8 percent of GM's global workforce
of 180,000 employees.

The restructuring reflects changing North American auto markets as
manufacturers continue to shift away from cars toward SUVs and trucks. In
October, almost 65 percent of new vehicles sold in the U.S. were trucks or
SUVs. That figure was about 50 percent cars just five years ago.

GM is shedding cars largely because it doesn't make money on them, Citi
analyst Itay Michaeli wrote in a note to investors.

"We estimate sedans operate at a significant loss, hence the need for
classic restructuring," he wrote.

The reduction includes about 8,000 white-collar employees, or 15 percent of
GM's North American white-collar workforce. Some will take buyouts while
others will be laid off.

At the factories, around 3,300 blue-collar workers could lose jobs in the
U.S. and another 2,600 in Canada, but some U.S. workers could transfer to
truck or SUV factories that are increasing production. The cuts mark GM's
first major downsizing since shedding thousands of jobs in the Great
Recession.

Trump has harsh remarks for GM over layoffs »

The company also said it will stop operating two additional factories
outside North America by the end of next year, in addition to a previously
announced plant closure in Gunsan, South Korea.

General Motors Co.'s pre-emptive strike to get leaner before the next
downturn likely will be followed by Ford Motor Co., which has said it is
restructuring and will lay off an unspecified number of white-collar
workers. Toyota Motor Corp. also has discussed cutting costs, even though
it's building a new assembly plant in Alabama.

GM isn't the first to abandon much of the car market. Fiat Chrysler
Automobiles got out of small and midsize cars two years ago, while Ford
announced plans to shed all cars but the Mustang sports car in the U.S. in
the coming years.

The layoffs come amid the backdrop of a trade wars between the U.S., China
and Europe that likely will lead to higher prices for imported vehicles and
those exported from the U.S. GM CEO Mary Barra said the company faces
challenges from tariffs but she did not directly link the layoffs to them.

GM doesn't foresee an economic downturn and is making the cuts "to get in
front of it while the company is strong and while the economy is strong,"
Barra told reporters.

Factories that could be closed include assembly plants in Detroit and
Oshawa, Ontario, and Lordstown, Ohio, as well as transmission plants in
Warren, Mich., and near Baltimore.

The announcement worried GM workers who could lose their jobs.

"I don't know how I'm going to feed my family," Matt Smith, a worker at the
Ontario factory, said Monday outside the plant's south gate, where workers
blocked trucks from entering or leaving. "It's hard. It's horrible." Smith's
wife also works at the plant. The couple has an 11-month-old at home.

Workers at the Ontario plant walked off the job Monday but were expected to
return Tuesday.

After the morning announcement, Barra was to head for Washington to speak
with White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow in what was described as a
previously scheduled meeting, according to a White House official who spoke
on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss
the meeting publicly.

GM, Honda teaming up to produce self-driving vehicles »

President Donald Trump, who has made bringing back auto jobs a big part of
his appeal to Ohio and other Great Lakes states that are crucial to his
re-election, said his administration and lawmakers are exerting "a lot of
pressure" on GM.

Trump said he was being tough on Barra. He said he told the company that the
U.S. has done a lot for GM and that if its cars aren't selling, the company
needs to produce ones that will.

At a rally near GM's Lordstown, Ohio, plant last summer, Trump told people
not to sell their homes because the jobs are "all coming back."

Most of the factories to be affected by GM's restructuring build cars that
will not be sold in the U.S. after next year. They could close or they could
get different vehicles to build. Their futures will be part of contract
talks with the United Auto Workers union next year.

The Detroit-based union has already condemned GM's actions and threatened to
fight them "through every legal, contractual and collective bargaining
avenue open to our membership."

Bobbi Marsh, who has worked assembling the Chevrolet Cruze compact car at
the Ohio plant since 2008, said she can't understand why the factory might
close given the strong economy.

"I can't believe our president would allow this to happen," she said Monday.

She now faces an uncertain future, not knowing whether the plant will close
for good or if there's a chance it could find another use.

"Everything is up in the air," she said. "I don't want to give up hope for
this facility and these people. I spend more time around them than my own
family. It would be like breaking up a family."

[image]  Oshawa plant  A worker checks the paint on a Camaro at the GM
factory in Oshawa, Ontario, on June 10, 2011. General Motors may close the
plant. Around 3,300 blue-collar workers could lose jobs in Canada. (Frank
Gunn/Canadian Press)

Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown said the move will be disastrous for the
region around Youngstown, Ohio, east of Cleveland, where GM is one of the
area's few remaining industrial anchors.

"GM received record tax breaks as a result of the GOP's tax bill last year,
and has eliminated jobs instead of using that tax windfall to invest in
American workers," he said in a statement.

Many of those who will lose jobs are now working on conventional cars with
internal combustion engines. Barra said the industry is changing rapidly and
moving toward electric propulsion, autonomous vehicles and ride-sharing, and
GM must adjust.

She said GM is still hiring people with expertise in software and electric
and autonomous vehicles.

GM will stop producing cars and transmissions at the plants through 2019. In
all, six car models were scrapped, leaving the company with nine remaining
car models.

The automaker said it was ending Chevrolet Volt production because the
vehicle was meant to be a bridge to fully electric cars when it was
introduced about a decade ago. The Volt has a small battery that can take it
about 50 miles, then it switches to a small gasoline engine.

Since it was introduced, battery technology has improved dramatically. Now
the full-electric Chevrolet Bolt can go up to 238 miles on a single charge.

GM builds full-size Chevrolet and GMC pickups in Mexico, and it recently
announced that a new Chevrolet Blazer SUV will be built there. Also, GM
imports the Buick Envision midsize SUV from China.

Building GM's Detroit plant cost thousands their homes. Now that factory is
slated to close. »

Among the possibilities on the chopping block are the Detroit/Hamtramck
assembly plant, which makes the Buick LaCrosse, the Chevrolet Impala and
Volt, and the Cadillac CT6, all slow-selling cars. LaCrosse and Volt
production will end March 1, while CT6 and Impala production would stop June
1.

The plant in Lordstown, Ohio, which makes the Chevrolet Cruze compact car
also is on the list, and Barra said the Cruze would no longer be sold in the
U.S. Production would stop March 1.

Work on six-speed transmissions made at the Warren, Mich., transmission
plant would stop Aug. 1, while the Baltimore transmission plant would stop
production April 1, GM said.

Meanwhile, GM's plant in Oshawa, Ontario, will stop making the Impala,
Cadillac XTS and 2018 full-size pickups in the fourth quarter of next year.
The Canadian plant appeared to be most in danger of closing.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he talked to the head of GM on Sunday and was
told "the ship has already left the dock" when he asked if there was
anything Ontario could do.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he spoke to Barra on Sunday to
express his "deep disappointment" with the closure.

The AP’s Rob Gillies in Toronto, John Seewer in Toledo, Ohio, and Zeke
Miller in Washington contributed.

This story has been corrected from an earlier version to show that up to
14,000 workers could lose jobs instead of 14,700 ...

MORE COVERAGE
GM offers buyouts to 18,000 salaried workers in North America [
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-gm-buyouts-earnngs-20181031-story.html
] ... [© chicagotribune.com]

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/gm-restructuring-reveals-a-disconnect-between-suv-sales-and-an-ev-future#gs.FZ0IMgs
GM Restructuring Reveals a ‘Disconnect’ Between SUV Sales Today and an EV
Future
November 26, 2018  General Motors’ long-term success may come down to how
well it bridges the divide between current demand for lucrative, gas-powered
SUVs and an all-electric future ... Union of Concerned Scientists’ clean
vehicles program. “A lot of it in the short-term has been around their SUVs
and pickup trucks. I think GM and a lot of the companies know that
electrification is the future, but they’re prioritizing the short-term
profits from some of these less efficient gasoline vehicles.” ... hypocrisy"
GM’s reorganization arguably primes the market to move away from
electrification, or at least pits the automaker’s near-term and long-term
strategies against one another ...
https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2018/11/27/chevy-volt-donald-trump-general-motors/2120687002/
Chevy Volt was going to save Detroit. Now its workers are losing jobs
Nov. 27, 2018  'Bring back jobs'  On Monday, GM ... plans to close five
plants, including the Detroit factory that built the Chevy Volt ... It will
kill those cars, and a few others, after the assembly lines shut down.
Thousands of American workers are likely to lose their jobs, from the
factories that are closing and from the parts suppliers, transportation
workers and the like whose jobs support the assembly plants ... GM engineers
thought that engine would help traditional car consumers accept an electric
vehicle. As it turned out, traditional car buyers were never going to ...

[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Will-GM-Ford-buyouts-cuts-layoffs-affect-EV-production-tp4691901.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=GM+restructuring+electric
{ % h2-trolls waste evdl bandwidth % }

Re: ?Will GM, Ford buyouts, cuts, layoffs affect EV production?

More on this - from the Wall Street Journal.

Production of the Bolt will increase, due to demand. They’ve sold 11,800. It’s the lowest selling of their showroom models.

Production of the Volt will stop in the spring.

> [...]

>> September 2019.
>>
>> Crosstown rival Ford also is working to reduce its salaried workforce. Ford
>> has not provided specifics on how many jobs will be cut or over what time
>> frame in its $11-billion "fitness" plan.
>> [© usatoday.com]
>>

>> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/e-vehicle-tech-workers-kept-40-old-GM-ice-tech-out-tp4691786.html
>> e-vehicle_tech workers kept> 40% old GM ice-tech= out
>> GM's job cuts mean new kind of worker needed ...
>> Nov 07 2018
>>

>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/why-general-motors-is-offering-buyouts-to-18000-workers/ar-BBPrzC6
>> Why General Motors is offering buyouts to 18,000 workers
>> Nov 7, 2018 - General Motors is a technology company that makes cars and the
>> skills its employees had yesterday are continuously becoming outdated ...

Fed complains about Fed's CAFE-std repeal which caused automakers to cut-jobs

% We now have-to smell what he dealt
https://www.google.com/search?q=dealt+it
%

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/29/18117931/gm-worker-layoffs-reaction
“Inhumane”: a laid-off GM worker in Ohio responds to massive job cuts
Nov 29, 2018  Alexia Fernández Campbell

[image  / Bill Pugliano/Getty Images
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/62583923/GettyImages_82504984.0.jpg
(factory line)
]

GM says that more than 14,000 auto workers will lose their jobs in the
coming months.

General Motors caused an uproar this week when it announced plans to close
up to five factories in the US and Canada and cut more than 14,000 jobs over
the next two years.

The automaker said that consumers weren’t buying enough cars like the Chevy
Cruze, and that the overhaul would save the company $6 billion. GM also
blamed President Donald Trump, whose tariffs on imported steel have cost the
company $1 billion.

GM’s decision sparked a backlash from lawmakers in Canada and the United
States. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) called it “corporate greed at its worst,”
pointing out that GM received millions in corporate tax cuts but failed to
use the money to invest in its workers. Instead, the company recently
announced plans to build its new Chevy Blazer in Mexico — a decision that
frustrated US labor unions that want those jobs to go to American workers.

Trump was also reportedly furious about the decision. GM produces electric
cars, and buyers in the US can get a federal tax break for purchasing one.
So Trump threatened to cut those subsidies for GM vehicles (which he can’t
do without Congress).

As lawmakers and company executives continue to point fingers and try to
deflect the blame, I reached out to Nanette Senters, a 55-year-old woman who
has spent the past two decades working at GM’s Lordstown plant in Warren,
Ohio, where the Chevy Cruze is made.

Senters sobbed quietly on the phone as she told me how distressing the news
has been for her and thousands of her co-workers who will lose their jobs.
She is single but helps support her 84-year-old mother. She was also angry,
she told me — at GM, at Trump, and at all the American companies outsourcing
jobs abroad.

A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows. (As of press time,
GM had not responded to Vox’s request for comment.)

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
How long have you been at the Lordstown factory, and what’s your job there?

Nanette Senters [worker]
I’ve been here 20 years. I’ve watched [the factory] shrink tremendously; I
was here when the government saved us from failing [during the Great
Recession].

I work in the body shop; it’s basically the metal assembly division. I
assemble pieces and parts in the car doors. I work like a human robot every
day, but none of us mind working hard. We have good benefits and pay.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Did you have any idea that layoffs were coming? How did you find out?

Nanette Senters [worker]
No. I was shocked. At 9:30 in the morning on Monday, we were all called into
the break room, and they put on a video saying that the plant would be
shuttered in March 2019.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Who was the person in the video?

Nanette Senters [worker]
I don’t know, some bigwig from GM.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Then what happened?

Nanette Senters [worker]
There was a loud gasp. People started crying. All day long, people were
crying. Then we just started getting angrier and angrier. We’ve done so much
for this company. This is such an inhumane way to treat people.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Who do you think is responsible for this? GM says there’s just not enough
demand for the Chevy Cruze.

Nanette Senters [worker]
There’s a lot of blame to go around. I blame a lot of it on our president. I
think it all started when Trump repealed the [Corporate Average Fuel Economy
standard].

The CAFE standard meant that you could produce small cars that are
energy-efficient and that would kind of balance out the building of big
trucks and gas guzzlers. Building the Cruze meant that GM could also build
many big trucks and still meet fuel efficiency standards.

When Trump repealed the CAFE standard, that gave GM more of an incentive to
get rid of the Chevy Cruze and do this restructuring.

Then there’s his trade wars and his unfinished trade deals, which are
hurting the entire country. Ford, Chrysler, Honeywell — they are all
outsourcing good union jobs. The jobs being created are not good-paying
jobs. They are $12-an-hour jobs.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
How much do you earn?

Nanette Senters [worker]
I make $30 an hour.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Did you hear anything about GM moving more jobs out of the country, or to
the Cruze factory in Mexico?

Nanette Senters [worker]
We weren’t told anything. It’s all so sketchy. Then we were told that we
might be able to transfer to another job, that there will be 3,000 new GM
jobs. But that means 11,000 of us will be left out in the cold.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Trump has threatened to punish GM for closing the factory. Are workers
hopeful something will change?

Nanette Senters [worker]
All of the president’s rhetoric has divided the workforce horribly. I was
here when Trump had a rally here last summer. He said, don’t sell your
house, do not worry about that. I am going to bring jobs back.

I didn’t believe him. From day one, I could see what he was — the way he
managed to give people false hope. A lot of people are still hoping he will
save them now. It’s disturbing.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
What do you think of GM’s position: that the company needs to do this to
remain financially viable?

Nanette Senters [worker]
I’m sure GM is probably just preparing itself for a potential recession. But
they can do it more humanely.

To just say, “You’re done,” is wrong. Yes, a company is supposed to make
money. But they did get all kinds of money from those tax cuts, and they are
still doing this. I am so disappointed. They always take things out on
workers.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Are you getting severance pay?

Nanette Senters [worker]
Yes, thank god for our union. We have a union guarantee of nine months of
pay after March, and we can keep our health care. But it will be about 90
percent of our pay, and it cuts a lot of benefits. We won’t be getting
bonuses or any profit sharing.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
What are you going to do after that?

Nanette Senters [worker]
I am going to try to transfer to another plant. If that doesn’t work out, I
will go back to school. I am a single woman, and if I have to move to
Indiana or something, it will be hard to take care of my 84-year-old mother.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
Can you find another job around Warren that pays $30 an hour?

Nanette Senters [worker]
No, not in this area. There are not good jobs here. It’s a very depressed
area; this factory has the best jobs here. People talk about the steel mills
in the area, but those only pay $12 an hour.

Alexia Fernández Campbell [reporter]
I’ve heard that some GM workers are asking Trump to cancel government
contracts with GM and other companies that outsource jobs. What do you think
of that?

Nanette Senters [worker]
It’s a good idea, and we’ve sent him letters. But Trump is not willing to
put his money where his mouth is. And so many of my co-workers, around half
of them, are still pinning all their hopes on Trump. I hope I’m wrong. I
hope he does do something about the thousands of jobs companies are still
sending abroad. But he hasn’t done anything about Carrier, Honeywell, or
Harley-Davidson.

Basically, since he’s been in office, it has been an assault on good-paying
jobs. What he’s doing is not translating into anything good for middle-class
America.
[© vox.com]

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-threatens-cut-gm-subsidies-retaliation-u-job-024615971--finance.html
Trump threatens to cut GM subsidies in retaliation for US job cuts
November 27, 2018  We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies,
including ... for electric cars," Trump said on Twitter. Trump did not
explain what "subsidies" he was referring to ...
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2018-11-27T210839Z_2_LYNXNPEEAQ1B1_RTROPTP_2_GM-RESTRUCTURING-TRUMP.JPG

http://www.mariettatimes.com/uncategorized/2018/11/trump-threatens-to-cut-off-federal-subsidies-for-gm/
Trump threatens to cut off federal subsidies for GM
Nov 28, 2018  Many of the job cuts would affect the Midwest, the politically
crucial region where ... Buyers of electric vehicles made by GM and other
automakers get federal tax ...

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/trump-looks-cut-gm-subsidies
Trump looks to cut GM subsidies
Nov 28, 2018  Trump said on Twitter, alluding to the government bailout
during the financial crisis. “We are now looking at cutting all @GM
subsidies, including for electric cars.

https://www.gulf-times.com/story/614511/Trump-threatens-to-cut-GM-subsidies-over-US-job-cu
Trump threatens to cut GM subsidies over US job cuts
Nov 28, 2018  We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including.
... GM electric vehicles are eligible for a $7,500 tax credit under federal
law, but it is not clear how ...
https://img.gulf-times.com/Content/Upload/slider/11201828221658561753534.jpg

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Will-GM-Ford-buyouts-cuts-layoffs-affect-EV-production-tp4691901.html
?Will GM,Ford buyouts,cuts,layoffs affect EV production?

Buy &charge um while you can: automaker cuts ...

Trump's White House just gave you another reason to buy an electric car
right now
2018-12-03  On Monday, according to Reuters, White House economic adviser
Larry Kudlow said the subsidies for electric vehicles from Tesla and other
carmakers would ...
http://blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/card/image/892367/a6a09a36-9af8-4a83-8666-785068ff9c22.jpg

https://mashable.com/article/tesla-gm-electric-vehicle-tax-subsidy-credit/#dGWYspJ.Cmq5
Trump's White House just gave you another reason to buy an electric car
right now
2018-12-03  Sasha Lekach

[image
http://blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/card/image/892367/a6a09a36-9af8-4a83-8666-785068ff9c22.jpg
Charge it while you can -- the federal tax credit for Teslas and other
electric vehicles is on its way out

shares
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1067494682249318402
    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
     · Nov 27, 2018
    Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra, for
closing plants in Ohio, Michigan and Maryland. Nothing being closed in
Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we
get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including....

    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
    ....for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago
when they built plants there (and in Mexico) - don’t think that bet is going
to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!
1:05 PM - Nov 27, 2018

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/700600176713404416
Elon Musk @elonmusk
Worth noting that all gasoline cars are heavily subsidized via oil company
tax credits & unpaid public health costs
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/18/fossil-fuel-companies-getting-10m-a-minute-in-subsidies-says-imf

2:37 AM - Feb 19, 2016
]

When Tesla CEO Elon Musk introduced a lower-priced Model 3 a few months ago,
he deducted thousands in federal tax incentives from the sticker price. On
Monday, according to Reuters, White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said
the subsidies for electric vehicles from Tesla and other carmakers would end
in 2020 or 2021.

Trump's administration has long floated the idea of eliminating the tax
break. Last week, he said he was thinking about cutting electric vehicle
subsidies for General Motors after it announced plans to shut down five U.S.
car plants.

As it stands now, Americans who buy a qualified electric vehicle (like the
Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, or any Tesla) receive a $7,500 tax credit. That's a
sizeable chunk meant to incentivize electric vehicle (EV) adoption. But
there's a cap for car makers. After 200,000 electric vehicles sold, the
subsidy is halved every six months until it disappears.

Tesla hit its 200,000th EV sale in July, so the incentive program is phasing
out. Tesla buyers are still eligible for a tax credit, even though it will
dwindle to $1,875 by the end of 2019. General Motors is expected to hit
200,000 cars by the end of the year.

For other companies like Volvo, Volkswagen, and Toyota that are far from the
200,000 car limit, ending the subsidies could seriously hurt their ambitious
goals to produce more — if not switch entirely to — electric vehicles in the
next few years.

It's not all terrible news for lower-emission vehicles. Many states and even
local jurisdictions are pushing EV rebates, credits, and tax breaks and
subsidizing electric charging networks and infrastructure.

Tesla has promoted the federal tax program for years to would-be buyers and
has tried to change the law concerning the cap for all electric vehicles.
Musk has repeatedly also argued for a carbon tax to disincentivize
traditional car use.

We reached out to the leading EV sellers in the U.S.: Tesla and GM. A GM
spokesperson said the company supports the consumer credit and doesn't think
there should be a cap.

"We believe an important part of reaching a zero emissions future and
establishing the U.S. as the leader in electrification is to continue to
provide a federal tax credit to help make electric vehicles more affordable
for all customers," the spokesperson said in an email.

Tesla declined to comment.

UPDATE: Dec. 3, 2018, 3:19 p.m. PST  Tesla has said it supports a "level
playing field" for all car manufacturers, meaning no incentives for anyone.

In a statement from October given to CNBC a Tesla spokesperson said, "Tesla
has succeeded in spite of government subsidies, not because of them.
Third-party studies have shown that our biggest competitors, including the
oil and gas industry, receive trillions of dollars in subsidies each year.
In comparison, Tesla receives virtually nothing yet still manages to compete
with these giants. We would much prefer a level playing field where all
companies go to zero incentives."
[© mashable.com]

https://theweek.com/speedreads/810724/white-house-calls-end-electric-vehicle-subsidies
White House calls for end of electric vehicle subsidies
2018-12-03  National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow on Monday said
the White House wants to put an end to subsidies for electric cars and
renewable energy ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-looking-beyond-gm-seeks-to-end-all-electric-car-tax-credits-kudlow-says-1543874287
Trump, Looking Beyond GM, Seeks to End All Electric Car Tax Credits, Kudlow
Says
Dec. 3, 2018  President Trump's top economic adviser said the administration
is looking to eliminate subsidies on electric cars, a move that could hamper
the auto industry's ...
President eyeing Obama-era $7,500 consumer tax credit for the purchase of
electric cars, but it is unclear if he has authority to undo something
created by legislation ...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/trumps-gm-threats-put-electric-vehicles-at-risk
Trump's GM threats put electric vehicles at risk
Washington Examiner-10 hours ago
President Trump's threats toward General Motors over its move to shutter
plants threaten to undermine the advancement of electric vehicles and stymie

https://freespeech.org/stories/trump-threatens-to-punish-americans-who-buy-electric-cars/
Trump Threatens to Punish Americans Who Buy Electric Cars
December 01, 2018  Donald Trump threatens to punish Americans who purchase
electric vehicles in an attempt to hurt General Motors ...

https://www.weeklystandard.com/irwin-m-stelzer/trump-vs-general-motors-gm
Trump vs. General Motors
The Weekly Standard-5 hours ago
Loss of the credit could increase the net price of GM's electric Bolt by as
much as 20 percent. That would make a car that has sold only 13,000 units so
far this ...
http://mediadc.brightspotcdn.com/a1/ac/880a563146c6bfea7b5ec7d42201/gettyimages-1065500862.jpg

https://www.myev.com/research/buyers-sellers-advice/how-the-epa-rates-electric-vehicles
How The EPA Rates Electric Vehicles
December 1, 2018  As with conventionally powered models, electric vehicles
are rated for their energy efficiency – and in this case their operating
range on a charge – by the ...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/11/29/general-motors-trump-layoffs-factories-auto-industry-222696
Don't Just Blame Trump for GM's Layoffs—Blame GM
Nov 29, 2018 ... while offering federal electric-car tax credits which would
help drive demand ... back from the recession, a crash is overdue, and, this
line of reasoning goes ...
http://static.politico.com/7d/b2/b68988c34884aabdee95e911a391/lordstown-gm-factory-politico-773.jpg

https://www.virginiamn.com/opinion/general-motors-closures-aren-t-adding-up-right/article_b1de6a76-f504-11e8-8519-db1ddc50e45c.html
General Motors closures aren't adding up right
2018-11-30 ... my love affair with all things Chevy began ... this move by
GM is an over-baked ruse to make money at the expense of American workers
and a slap in the face to all of us taxpayers who bailed this rotten apple
out of the bunch when the company fell on hard times 10 years ago ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-hybrids/2019-chevy-volt-drivers-notes-review-the-lame-duck/ar-BBQiKZ5
019 Chevy Volt Drivers' Notes Review | The lame duck
Nov 30, 2018  Now, the Volt isn't the only car GM is killing off (and even
this might not fix its ... The Volt itself is a efficient little sedan, with
an estimated 53 miles of all-electric ...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/readersrespond/bs-ed-rr-volt-gm-letter-20181128-story.html
GM neglected the Volt
Nov 29, 2018  General Motors announced the Chevy Volt will no longer be
available. I understand ... It gets 50 to 70 miles on the electric charge
before switching over to gas.

Re: Buy &charge um while you can: automaker cuts ...

On 3 Dec 2018 at 22:47, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> For other companies like Volvo, Volkswagen, and Toyota that are far from the
> 200,000 car limit, ending the subsidies could seriously hurt their ambitious
> goals to produce more " if not switch entirely to " electric vehicles in
> the next few years.

Maybe a minor hit, but from what I've read, most EU and Asian automakers are
now focusing more on -- duh -- the EU and Asia.  With the way politics has
gone here in the US, I'm sure it didn't take a crystal ball for them to
predict what was going to happen to the US EV market.

There's certainly some difference in environmental attitudes between the
different sides of the aisle in other nations, but usually it's much less
dramatic and polarized than it is here in the states.  So I expect that
regardless of the how politics develops in the EU and Asia, they, not the
US, will become the primary EV growth areas in the future.  In fact, some
countries have already announced a "drop dead" year for ICEVs, though some
of them are pretty far off (such as 2040).

Interesting times, indeed.