Wiring Schematic

John Lussmyer
I realized that I REALLY had to sit down and create a schematic of the
truck power system.
There are a LOT of connections and parts.  (Breakers, relays, fuses,
contactors, Z2K, blower, charger, etc..)
Here is my first draft:
http://www.casadelgato.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

This does not include all the Zilla Hairball wiring yet.
I'll probably have to break this into 3 pages, at least.
(Probably "AC System", "Pack Wiring", "Heater and Accessories")

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Re: Wiring Schematic

Jim Walls-2
John G. Lussmyer wrote:

> I realized that I REALLY had to sit down and create a schematic of the
> truck power system.
> There are a LOT of connections and parts.  (Breakers, relays, fuses,
> contactors, Z2K, blower, charger, etc..)
> Here is my first draft:
> http://www.casadelgato.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
>
> This does not include all the Zilla Hairball wiring yet.
> I'll probably have to break this into 3 pages, at least.
> (Probably "AC System", "Pack Wiring", "Heater and Accessories")

Nice job on the schematic.  Before I looked at the page, I wondered what
you had used to draw it.  I am not overly familiar with EagleCAD (I've
heard of it,. but never used it - I used AutoCAD), but I'm glad to see
that you used a CAD program.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
[hidden email]
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Re: Wiring Schematic

mark at evie-systems
Very Nice.  If you loaded those parts with "part values" and included a
BOM printout that would really rock!

John G. Lussmyer wrote:

> I realized that I REALLY had to sit down and create a schematic of the
> truck power system.
> There are a LOT of connections and parts.  (Breakers, relays, fuses,
> contactors, Z2K, blower, charger, etc..)
> Here is my first draft:
> http://www.casadelgato.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
>
> This does not include all the Zilla Hairball wiring yet.
> I'll probably have to break this into 3 pages, at least.
> (Probably "AC System", "Pack Wiring", "Heater and Accessories")

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Wiring Schematic

dave cover-2
John

Do you have two separate inlets for power, 120 and 240? How are the breakers
tied together? Pictures?

Thanks

Dave Cover

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM, John G. Lussmyer
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I realized that I REALLY had to sit down and create a schematic of the
> truck power system.
> There are a LOT of connections and parts.  (Breakers, relays, fuses,
> contactors, Z2K, blower, charger, etc..)
> Here is my first draft:
>
> http://www.casadelgato.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
>
> This does not include all the Zilla Hairball wiring yet.
> I'll probably have to break this into 3 pages, at least.
> (Probably "AC System", "Pack Wiring", "Heater and Accessories")

> John G. Lussmyer          mailto:[hidden email]
> Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: Wiring Schematic

John Lussmyer
dave cover wrote:
> Do you have two separate inlets for power, 120 and 240? How are the breakers
> tied together? Pictures?

Yup, separate inlets.  The truck has 2 gas doors, so I put one under
each door.
I'll upload pictures of the very simple mechanical breaker interlock soon.

mark at evie-systems wrote:
> Very Nice.  If you loaded those parts with "part values" and included a
> BOM printout that would really rock!

Most of them DO have part values, and I can generate a BOM.

Jim Walls wrote:
> Nice job on the schematic.  Before I looked at the page, I wondered what
> you had used to draw it.  I am not overly familiar with EagleCAD (I've
> heard of it,. but never used it - I used AutoCAD), but I'm glad to see
> that you used a CAD program.

EagleCAD is easy and free.  The only limitation of the Free version is
that you can't generate PC Board layouts over about 3" square.  (Which
really doesn't matter in this case, as I'm not generating PC Boards!)
It has one MAJOR advantage over the other free PC Board/Schematic
software (forgot the name), in that you can specify multiple different
physical packages for a single component.  This lets you change which
package you are using in your schematic without removing and re-adding
the part.   You just tell it to use a different package.

John G. Lussmyer wrote:
> I realized that I REALLY had to sit down and create a schematic of the
> truck power system.

Okay, I split it into 2 schematics (AC and DC), and added pretty much
everything else.
The last 2 images on this page:
http://www.casadelgato.com/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=93

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Re: Wiring Schematic

Rush Dougherty
Good schematic on the PFC and 120 and 240 in -
I have a couple questions - I understand how to measure 120, but 240 is
still a mystery...
1) to measure 240 volts you measure the 2 hots? as per your drawing?
2) I was going to use a current transformer to measure amps also, but was
unsure of how to hook it up. The hot of the 120 I understand, but if just
one hot leg of the 240 is put thru it, won't only 1/2 amps be read?

Thanks for the help...

Rush
Tucson AZ

John G. Lussmyer wrote:

> I realized that I REALLY had to sit down and create a schematic of the
> truck power system.
> There are a LOT of connections and parts.  (Breakers, relays, fuses,
> contactors, Z2K, blower, charger, etc..)
> Here is my first draft:
> http://www.casadelgato.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
>
> This does not include all the Zilla Hairball wiring yet.
> I'll probably have to break this into 3 pages, at least.
> (Probably "AC System", "Pack Wiring", "Heater and Accessories")

I THINK I've got it all in there now. (Well, almost all.  I didn't
include some of the hairball stuff that doesn't connect to anything else.)
Sheesh there are a lot of little pieces.
http://www.casadelgato.com/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=93

I've also added a photo of how the Mechanical Link between the 2 AC
Breakers was done.

Rush wrote:
> Good schematic on the PFC and 120 and 240 in -
> I have a couple questions - I understand how to measure 120, but 240 is
> still a mystery...
> 1) to measure 240 volts you measure the 2 hots? as per your drawing?
> 2) I was going to use a current transformer to measure amps also, but was
> unsure of how to hook it up. The hot of the 120 I understand, but if just
> one hot leg of the 240 is put thru it, won't only 1/2 amps be read?

I'm surprised no-one else has answered this yet.
In the US, 240V home service is a center tapped transformer, with the
middle line tied to neutral - which is bonded to the ground line at the
meter base.
So you have Hot-Neutral-Hot, 120V-0-120V, and from end to end it's 240V.

In my drawing, I'm measuring the voltage in to the PFC-50, which could
be either 120V or 240V.  The charger has 2 wires, so you measure the
voltage across them.
When it's plugged into 120VAC outlet, it's a Neutral and a Hot.  When
it's hooked to 240V, it's the 2 Hots.

When measuring the current, I put the current transformer in the Hot
line (that is always a Hot line).  That way when it's on 120VAC circuit,
the current flows through it.
When it's on a 240VAC circuit, the full current still flows through it
since the charger hooks across both HOT lines, which is a series
circuit, so both lines are seeing the same, all, of the current flow.

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Re: Wiring Schematic

Rush Dougherty
Great, thank you John.

Rush
Tucson AZ

>> Good schematic on the PFC and 120 and 240 in -
>> I have a couple questions - I understand how to measure 120, but 240 is
>> still a mystery...
>> 1) to measure 240 volts you measure the 2 hots? as per your drawing?
>> 2) I was going to use a current transformer to measure amps also, but was
>> unsure of how to hook it up. The hot of the 120 I understand, but if just
>> one hot leg of the 240 is put thru it, won't only 1/2 amps be read?
>>

> I'm surprised no-one else has answered this yet.
> In the US, 240V home service is a center tapped transformer, with the
> middle line tied to neutral - which is bonded to the ground line at the
> meter base.
> So you have Hot-Neutral-Hot, 120V-0-120V, and from end to end it's 240V.
>
> In my drawing, I'm measuring the voltage in to the PFC-50, which could
> be either 120V or 240V.  The charger has 2 wires, so you measure the
> voltage across them.
> When it's plugged into 120VAC outlet, it's a Neutral and a Hot.  When
> it's hooked to 240V, it's the 2 Hots.
>
> When measuring the current, I put the current transformer in the Hot
> line (that is always a Hot line).  That way when it's on 120VAC circuit,
> the current flows through it.
> When it's on a 240VAC circuit, the full current still flows through it
> since the charger hooks across both HOT lines, which is a series
> circuit, so both lines are seeing the same, all, of the current flow.

> John G. Lussmyer   mailto:[hidden email]
> Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

06:17:00